Underdog's Tire Safety lesson

Words of caution to anyone doing tire work, especially those with older equipment and split rims...

post-2694-143267477001_thumb.jpg

post-2694-143267479828_thumb.jpg

Always, always deflate the tire BEFORE even removing lug nuts. I had no problem with the lock ring, as you can see the nuts and wedges are still on the hub, the rim itself broke in half. It was rusted and paper thin. It seems the wedges were holding the rim together.

What you get if you are lucky is a hard lesson learned and a chance to educate others that it could have been a lot worse. 10 seconds before she blew, I had my head down there tapping the wedges. My kids run through the work area occasionally. That wheel could have broke on the road at anytime. I'm glad it was just me and I am still here to talk about it.

post-2694-143267560619_thumb.jpg

My left knee took the brunt of it

post-2694-143267565001_thumb.jpg

Never saw it coming.

36 hours in the hospital and likely 2 weeks off work. Still feel very lucky.

Gregg

Gregg like I told Victoria on Facebook, if you guys need anything please don't hesitate to ask!!!! I'm glad you are relatively OK.......She says you are hell bent on going to York......Why don't you stay home and R & R man??? Macungie is less than a month away!!!

Like I said.....Anything!!! I'm right down 33 from you guys!!!

-Yardo

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Gregg like I told Victoria on Facebook, if you guys need anything please don't hesitate to ask!!!! I'm glad you are relatively OK.......She says you are hell bent on going to York......Why don't you stay home and R & R man??? Macungie is less than a month away!!!

Like I said.....Anything!!! I'm right down 33 from you guys!!!

-Yardo

Thanks Yardo for the Facebook response and the kind words from all. I will catch up with you guys at the shows.

Gregg

wow your were very unlucky I have only ever heard of rims letting go after tyre fitting and filling with air what happened to you could happen to any type of rim car truck or tractor

very very unlucky I bet you will be very careful even near a tyre for a long time to come

best wishes for a speedy recovery

Paul

Man I'm sorry and hope you have a speedy recovery. That is a very valuable lesson to be learned by ALL!

Damn!!! Hope you have a relatively speedy recovery! You're in our prayers.

Gives me a lot to think about with some of my 75 80 year old wheels on my AC's ! Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

As everyone else has said-GLAD that you are on the mend.
NEVER....NEVER..liked working with those tires.

was more concerned that the ring wasn't secure

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

As everyone else has said-GLAD that you are on the mend.

NEVER....NEVER..liked working with those tires.

was more concerned that the ring wasn't secure

Likewise I never expected that as I did ALMOST everything right... Nuts & wedges still installed. Consulting OSHA guidelines after the fact, it is recommended practice to deflate ANY split rims before removal from the axle.

Wow. It is certainly the unexpected that will give you problems and I think most of us have not anticipated that happening. I will make it a point to follow the OSHA guidance for sure moving forward. Let's all get the word out as much as possible to help our brothers stay safe and whole.

I trust you didn't suffer more than a concussion...those can be serious and debilitating. Whatever you do follow the Doctor's orders! I know we all have bills to pay and such but don't make a bad situation worse. Thanks for sharing, God bless and get well.

Greg

Gregg.....I have a big antique truck crowd on facebook, and am also a member of (and also moderator for) a bunch of antique truck groups. With your permission, I'd like to share your story and photos. There are many folks out there who just don't realize how dangerous tire work can be. I will not identify you if you don't want me to. If you are OK with it, please have Vicki facebook message me the photos and I will write a brief story and get the word out. I hope you are healing well. -Yardo

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS