Underdog's Tire Safety lesson

Greg

M8

Sorry to hear of your damage

hope 4 a speedy recovery

Hope U take this the right way

one wunders who assembled th@ tyre /rim...as eye'm sure when it twas last assembled there would have been a lot of rust on the lock rim contact part

we always inspect n wire brush our rims B 4 assembly ..... our oldest rims R from WWII

cya

§wishy

To sorry to learn what happened, I wish you a speedy recovery and too wish to not overspeed it if possible.

Keep yourself Ok for first and the life will go its easy way. Again, I too hope.

Thinking on the subject of the trouble I'd say you couldn't expect such a case because you couldn't know how the rim were really bad.

Shure you will inspect EVERY rim or wheel in every your rig after that but there are many other parts in a vehicle wich can brake down unexpected. At least I see neither guilty in what you did with that wheel. We just can not drive or keep a rig with tires always deflated.

The main common sence I see is in this story is to be double careful and keep thinking on potential issues.

Very glad you're alive and will be good soon and nobody else got hurt.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Isn't it possible for a suspension air bag to fail catastrophically like a tire? I remember a guy lost his life but I cannot recall where or when. Anything that contains air pressure can become a dangerous item fast. I think the one I recall was in Mass...Wilmington/Woburn area maybe?

Be safe

Gregg.....I have a big antique truck crowd on facebook, and am also a member of (and also moderator for) a bunch of antique truck groups. With your permission, I'd like to share your story and photos. There are many folks out there who just don't realize how dangerous tire work can be. I will not identify you if you don't want me to. If you are OK with it, please have Vicki facebook message me the photos and I will write a brief story and get the word out. I hope you are healing well. -Yardo

Info on the way, Randy. Feel free to use any photos and my name if it helps. Important message that needs to reach as many folks as possible.

Greg

M8

Sorry to hear of your damage

hope 4 a speedy recovery

Hope U take this the right way

one wunders who assembled th@ tyre /rim...as eye'm sure when it twas last assembled there would have been a lot of rust on the lock rim contact part

we always inspect n wire brush our rims B 4 assembly ..... our oldest rims R from WWII

cya

§wishy

Swishy,

Absolutely hear where you're coming from. I've had this trailer 5 years but never worked on the wheels tires its been in my backyard with no registration. I just dragged it out a few months ago and started working on it. I don't have much history on previous owners but I did notice that someone put a new wheel stud and nut on that position. Hard to believe they didn't notice that wheel or have an issue with it last time the lug nuts were loose.

Isn't it possible for a suspension air bag to fail catastrophically like a tire? I remember a guy lost his life but I cannot recall where or when. Anything that contains air pressure can become a dangerous item fast. I think the one I recall was in Mass...Wilmington/Woburn area maybe?

Be safe

Yes. When I worked in the trailer shop at Jevic (many, many moons ago.....) I cannot remember exactly what the circumstances were....But we had a guy working on a bogey under a Great Dane and a bag let go, caused a pretty good amount of trauma to his face and jaw. At the time I was in EMT school, and was the only one who had any idea of what to do. I jumped right in and held (clean) shop towels to his face/jaw holding them together. I had to turn him on his side or else he would have been gagging and swallowing blood. I was on my own for the better part of 5-10 minutes until the Medics got there. 2 weeks later, all shop personnel got 4 hours of basic first aid. He's still alive to this day, with some muscle issues in his face/jaw and eye problems.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Hi Gregg

Great to see you in York and I am VERY glad you are getting around.

At first I thought you might have tried to cut in line to get Alex Debagorski's signature and got into a scuffle. When you relayed the real story, WOW!!

Scary thing is that we had just changed several tires on trucks we brought down. We will be much more careful now.

Speedy recovery and see you in Macungie

George

My boss was getting ready to change an airbag once.

we where just standing there and he wanted to air it up by its slef. So he put the the air hose to and blew the set plate clear off luckily it went away from him. So don't air up an air bag with out it being in the truck.

• 2 weeks later...