MOVE OVER

Maddog13407

Had a good friend and colleague killed Monday responding to a call on the I90 NYS Thruway when a tractor trailer crossed the white line and hit him while loading a disabled vehicle onto the flat bed. Probably the worst accident I ever saw, especially since it was a call I should have done and not him. But it was a holiday and he had the day off from his regular job. He was also driving the truck I usually drive everyday. Having a rough time. Can't stress enough for people to move over for emergency or slowed down vehicles! I'm sure someone on here can search Albany, NY news and find the news footage of a tow truck driver killed by a tractor trailer.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Sorry too hear this, the lack of respect a person gets while on the side of the road is unreal. no one cares! I think others get a kick out of seeing how close they can get to you  When I was working with the paving crew I couldn't believe the amount of people who wouldn't budge a bit  as the guy raking the meet edge would be within  18 inches of them, we had spotters with air horns to warn us of wide loads or idiot drivers, still a scary place to be. best of thoughts for your familys 

• Like 1

The bad part is in TN (unless they changed it lately) it is law that you must move over for emergency vehicles but it is perfectly legal not to move over for ordinary citizens that are on the shoulder. You'd think they would afford the citizens the same protections as law enforcement and EMTs but they don't.     

• Like 1

no good at all 

yes the lack of respect and understanding of peoples actions today is out of control I dont have any answers for this problem it seems to be getting worse the world over 

Thoughts to you and his family

Only on TV a few weeks ago they had a whole program about a young girl that died when her ute drifted on to the wrong side of the road , when the investigation was completed she had just sent a text message and had sent 22 text messages in the last half a hour when she was driving

I dont understand why people cant see any of this you really need to concentrate when driving , things happen quick enough when you are alert let alone when your on the bloody phone or sending a text message 

Paul  

• Like 2

I'm very sorry! It seems people just don't see anything when hey drive, from lights to other cars.   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sad news.  My condolences.

its been law in ontario for a few years to slow down/move over for Police/EMS/Fire (red and blue or just red lights) with the lights on, and just recently updated to include Tow trucks/road crews (amber lights)....but people still dont get it...

while i dont do it often, there are times i have to drop machines on the road because i cant get into the site, or need to use the street to switch bins, due to lack of space, and it scares me....not much spooks me, but emerging from between the front of the bin and the back of the truck does it....i always peak out first, but the speed some of these cars means its clear when i look and they come flying out from behind the bin as i step out to go back to the cab.  

I learned one day a few years ago that i could jump from the ground to the fender in one move...caught that fucker out the corner of my eye, had i not made it up there, he would have taken my legs...the guy running the kettle for the roofer saw the whole thing, and took off after the car...

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

• 2 weeks later...

In Tampa bay yesterday they had a procession of towtrucks to honor a beloved wrecker driver killed by a drunk motorist while he was loading a car on his flatbed! Similar to Maddogs friend in Albany, happens too often,is only common sense even if it isn't the law! On the subject of cell phone use while driving, it should be restricted to law enforcement and First responders,who tend to be paying attention to what is going on around them! Statistically it is as dangerous as driving drunk! It is perfectly legal in many states,including Florida! Texting while driving is illegal in Florida,but a secondary offense.You have to be pulled over for something else to get a ticket for texting! The fines are low for such a potentially deadly activity! I believe we can thank the electronics lobby for this!

Sorry  to  hear  that,Matt. Always  a tough  thing to deal with. I still  see people  that don't  move over (should  be  for everyone,not just police/emergency  situations). I   will never figure out  why the world  has to be in such a hurry,that we can't  look out  for  others. I   understand  situations  where things are not well illuminated, but a guy with his strobes going- no excuse!   Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA