B-73 Restoration

Minor step backwards yesterday. I had to drop the transmission off the engine to get at the clutch because it wouldn't release. It can be tough putting things together you didn't take apart, because you don't know what is supposed to be there. My engine came from one source the flywheel from another, with a used clutch assembly, and a new clutch from Ft Wayne Clutch in Indiana. It all went together, but wouldn't function. After some questions and a call to Ft Wayne, discovered I was missing all the shims that go under the pressure plate to space it properly. Ft Wayne was VERY helpful, especially since I bought the clutch way back in 2005. So, that fix is enroute. Dropped the driveshaft off at Fleetpride for a few things and that should be back Mon or Tue. That should put the driveline in the completed column late next week or early the following. More steps forward than back, which is always good.

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Minor step backwards yesterday. I had to drop the transmission off the engine to get at the clutch because it wouldn't release. It can be tough putting stings together you didn't take apart, because you don't know what is supposed to be there. My engine came from one source the flywheel from another, with a used clutch assembly, and a new clutch from Ft Wayne Clutch in Indiana. It all went together, but wouldn't function. After some questions and a call to Ft Wayne, discovered I was missing all the shims that go under the pressure plate to space it properly. Ft Wayne was VERY helpful, especially since I bought the clutch way back in 2005. So, that fix is enroute. Dropped the driveshaft off at Fleetpride for a few things and that should be back Mon or Tue. That should put the driveline in the completed column late next week or early the following. More steps forward than back, which is always good.

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

Its going to look great when its all complete. I have a question on the locking wire. Was that a standard practice to lock the flywheel bolts back in the day or was it something you decided to do?

I am not being critical, I just want to feed my own curiosity. 

Thanks

V

• Like 2

10 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Ah, yes!  The shims!  That takes me back...

I remember having to pull shims on a Brockway gas job in the middle of a Syracuse NY uphill street to get it to go thru the red light!!!

• Like 2

Brocky

Those are different than the shims in an early 50's Brockway. Probably a Lipe Clutch(??) that had a half inch stack of .010 to .025 shims held in place on a stud with 9/16 nut in about 6 places around the clutch.. To adjust the clutch you took the nut off and picked out 1 or 2 shims with a screwdriver, a sharp punch, or an awl. 

• Like 1

Brocky

Now it looks like it was possible to install (or remove) those shims with tranny in place. Loosening all the bolts and than taking off one at a time and putting back with a shim.

Would be interesting to learn how Fort Wayne guys calculate what you need of shims to add with a particular flywheel, disc and pressure plate.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

6 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

You were far better to of fixed it now rather than later, well done 

Paul 

As much as I wanted to put the cab on back when I put the engine in, I’m glad I didn’t because this would’ve been a much more difficult fix.