B-73 Restoration

On 7/8/2022 at 10:12 PM, mattb73lt said:

Thanks. I wanted to isolate the stack to prevent any resonance to the cab. I’ve seen some attempts to do the same, but didn’t like how they came out. I think this came out pretty good. The stack has an insert muffler in it, so it should quiet things a little more, but should still have that great Cummins sound.

I always liked the idea of the frame mount for the stack.  A little better isolation from the heat and vibration.  A little more hand clearance at the door handle.  Pipe doesn't have to move just because the cab moved.  Structure can be as strong as you like.

Yours looks really clean, and sturdy.  I like it!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

5 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Mighty fine bud!!!!!!! Excellent detail thanks for sharing.,, wasn’t aware you were doing power steering . I’m expecting you had to fabricate everything??????. Bob 

Not everything, just the flex lines and fittings. It’s a Garrison add on unit with the piston on the tie rod and the shuttle valve in the drag link. Good system, but not as good as a Sheppard box.

• Like 2

My parts LJ has that kind of PS system, I might swap it later. It will work fine on your truck. My H Model was a bear too steer after I stretched it and put the rollback on it . I had a couple of newer parts trucks with TRW boxes, I had to make a mounting plate, make a Pittman arm , mount a hydraulic pump , It works great, but a lot of fabrication . 

Oh OK perfect my DM has power steering  it’s all in the box Mechohaulic claims that’s not unusual for a 66 I never heard of Power steering on any big rig until mid 70s But I did grow up in New England where everything is a little behind times truck actually came from Texas… bob

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a new core for my B 755 project a couple months ago thought I had better do it before the price gets to high it came in at just over 800 dollars got a price for a Peterbilt 359 core recently and it was about 750 dollars more than the one we got 2 years ago 

• Like 1

Hi Matt - I see the alloy top is like ours with those pin holes/pitting. I found that I have to gently polish the alloy otherwise the pin holes may get bigger. But no leaks. Maybe one day we might find a compound that we can apply to seal the pin holes. Do you know of any such products?

• Like 1

That looks great! The LJ is setting with water in it , I’ve started it a few times but haven’t got it hot with pressure,,, It has the original core , so we will see how that turns out. Hopefully your on your way to the next phase now! 

• Like 1

progress is looking good. 5 steps forward and only one step back. better  the leak situation showed now ; not miles down the road. I  stopped at atlantic trailer other day for parts pick up. couldn't  believe  the "fleet " of trucks/ trailers on the wall in service office. 40 minutes later I left the office after talking to ? forgot his name. the builder of those scratch built 18th scale units. we got to talking of your B-73. he knows you and had nothing but positive to say about you being one of the best people. looking forward ;as we all know you are to see the 73 parked at a truck show soon.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 1961H67 said:

You have went Far and Beyond a “ Normal Restoration “ Thank you for Sharing every step of the way with all of us! 

You’re welcome and thank you for being part of the process. It's been good chatting with you and all the others that have chimed in with tips or what they’re working on. It’s been an enjoyable journey so far!!

That looks fabulous and yes Matt there are used to be a lot of old-timers around here that would let me Rome around the back lawnmower repair auto parts since then they’re all gone newer generation doesn’t really want you to do that as far as radiator goes I don’t know why you don’t just run water in it for a while personally I would swap it out or at least try to that way it won’t be on your mind constantly radiator core is have always been a fortune I got a price for an F model 40 years ago it was 800 bucks  great progress that front end looks amazing..Bob