B-73 Restoration

Not really. I only heard the center drop once when I bought the engine 20+ years ago. The backdrop sounds really throaty when you rev it up, with a good bark. The video I have of it revving up sounds really good with my headphones because of the bass. Hopefully, I'll be running it around soon so I'll have better sound with a load on it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Matt any chance you will make Lancaster?

Not with the B73. I was hoping to come up Sunday with the B42, but it’s a very busy weekend with my employer having a huge Special Olympics fund raiser and the big Dreamride event on Saturday.

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

So this has a wooden floor or is the wood for a template  ?

Paul

Yes, there are two patches of plywood, between the fixed floor and the removable panels that go up to the firewall. I used marine grade plywood and made some of the openings smaller. This was the piece before I cut it in two, like the original.

585B4B3F-0B62-4AC0-8054-024F78DB230B.jpeg

• Like 1

question?? baskins reefers had 5/8? double sided laminated  plywood for the walls inside. would that shed the moisture as good as marine grade plywood? i know it worked great for me turning a day cab into a"bunk" between the seats for my "motel lay-over " LOL ..$$$$ wise don't know the difference. possibly the boys at atlantic would have  a partial piece big enough. weather on outside floor might run off with the laminate.  just paint the wood exposed edges 

On 8/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, mechohaulic said:

question?? baskins reefers had 5/8? double sided laminated  plywood for the walls inside. would that shed the moisture as good as marine grade plywood? i know it worked great for me turning a day cab into a"bunk" between the seats for my "motel lay-over " LOL ..$$$$ wise don't know the difference. possibly the boys at atlantic would have  a partial piece big enough. weather on outside floor might run off with the laminate.  just paint the wood exposed edges 

I think so. You could always treat it with a preservative or some kind of waterproofing treatment. If you do that and it’s good quality plywood, I think you’ll be fine.

• Thanks 1

It is amazing at just how loud things can when no turbo is fitted and I guess it should be no surprise just how deaf a lot of people are as they get older 

A muffler might a good idea of some description in the future, then again once driving about with the windows up at speed it might be quite bearable as your moving pretty quick away from the noise 

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

I don't know if I'm more impressed by the job you're doing on the truck.....or your degree of self control. I'd never have stopped at 100 yards.  

Well, I kinda had to. It was either stop or crash through the barn, then plunge about 30 feet down into my neighbors back yard!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My B model started out with single 4in straight pipe that wasant bad then I went to dual 5 in straight pipe no turbo and it was super loud then I turbocharged it and it sound way better but it's a thermodyne so to compare it to your cummins isn't a really good comparison . Keep up the excellent job your truck looks amazing

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

another positive of days gone by ; everything had it's own sound be it the great muscle cars, the music , and the big rigs. a Detroit 318 duel  3 1/2 pipes sounded way better then todays 8 in pipe dumps. noise is noise ; that's todays "music" and 8 in pipe trucks just noise. the sound of DD, cat, cummins ,Mack and music back  then will never be duplicated by today's world.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mark T said:

That does sound pretty good. I'd be die'n to take it for a ride if I were you.  I remember that sound from when I was a kid.

we are all playing with trucks ; they are just a little bit bigger ;; so we're still kids.😄

• Like 2