B-73 Restoration

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

Still getting lots of little stuff done and collecting up the things I need to finish most of the tasks that need to be done under the cab area. Looks like the cab and radiator will go on the weekend of May 22nd. With the need for a lift and extra hands I needed to set a date to coordinate it. Got the front brake air lines routed and built a few sections of my exhaust for the back drop manifold. It looks like the pipe will clear everything that concerned me. The bigger news, and this is more of a HUGE sigh of relief, was that I was able to motor the engine on the starter to build oil pressure to fill all the new external oil lines and new filter.   Saw 30 PSI just on the starter. That gave me enough confidence to give it a little whiff of ether to see if it would catch. It did and keeping the RPM's low, I let it run for a few minutes. Oil pressure built to 60 PSI at a low idle. It sounded really good with only about three feet of straight pipe. This little thing has had me worried, as I've had the engine over 20 years and haven't heard it run since before I bought it back then. I had it heavily lubed internally and kept rotating it every so often with a wrench. I couldn't get a video of it as I didn't have enough hands, but soon enough once the fuel is hooked up to it. So, a good day finding out the engine is good and not a pretty boat anchor!!

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg

Congrats Matt!

• Like 2

Far be it from me to critique any of the work you've done on this truck, but I see white zip ties. It's been my experience they're not the best choice for anything on a truck. Seems like they always crack and fail .