B-73 Restoration

I don’t think I would be too afraid to tackle that two piece deal as long as you have a wire feed … go for it… Seems at this point you probably don’t have too many choices and if you finally locate one pretty clean they’re probably want a fortune 4 it plus shipping then I’m sure it’s still not going to be perfect .. good luck and yes I was starting to think the H model it was an old post ha ha.. bob

Edited by mowerman
mispelled

Looking Great, I like your stack mount! What sort of strapping are you using to set the cab,, I ran straps through the windows when I set mine to check the backdrop clearance,, Now we will have to go under with a spreader bar of some sort,, and a lot more TLC ! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

Going to run a 12V starter on the Cummins NH220. This has the L cab on it, so it’s completely different than a B-61 with the doghouse and firewall.

Sorry Matt, wasn't used to seeing a yellow Cummins. Our Cummins at work are Beige in color and is a 1984. Looks dang good.

• Like 1

The “ Old Cummins Gold “ is close to Cat Yellow, My 220 has a tag where it was a recon engine by Cummins Atlantic 12/1963 , and it was painted Cummins Gold ( Basically Yellow) . My guess is the Beige came in the mid 60s with the 855 blocks.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

The color always brings up discussion. There are at least four colors Cummins used, an early grey, "Cummins Old Gold", Cummins gold and the later beige. When I bought this engine it was rust and grease covered. As I was cleaning it I uncovered several areas with paint remaining. It had been rebuilt at least once in it's life and repainted. From what remained I found that Eastwood had a color, "Equipment Yellow" that was a really good match from what was on it, plus it was formulated as a two part epoxy, high temperature enamel of aircraft grade. When I've taken pictures of it the digital phone camera can tint it differently. From a bright yellow inside the shop to a darker yellow with a little orange tint outside. But, I think it is a pretty good match for the "Old Gold" color, plus it's very durable. which was the main reason for using it.image.thumb.jpeg.ed569bed7317f28a28828336a59d27d6.jpeg

Well, it looks gorgeous, whatever the case!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

6 hours ago, Nor'Easter said:

Would you mind sharing the PN for the starter you used?  Want to convert my 220 as well.

I just checked it, but can’t find a tag on it. It came with the engine. It appears to be a common Delco 42MT

F4C44BC2-5E5A-488B-9B88-FA4C35C02FFD.jpeg

Yeah unfortunately the staffing levels are very low and the state doesn’t realize that taking away benefits is going to cause more of an issue for them. My department’s numbers are way lower then they should be. Sadly, like most departments finding recruits is difficult. Our last test only 500 applied, 300 showed up to take the test and 15 were just hired. 

• Sad 1