Opinions on Tesla's "Cybertruck"

CaptainCrutch

Well I'm doing my part in researching this, but what do you all think of Tesla's new Cybertruck. It's an all electric pickup truck that starts just shy of $40,000 and can haul 7,500 lbs for 250 miles or be configured to go 500 miles hauling 14,000+ lbs AND drive itself for shy of $77,000. It also easily beats a Porsche on the drag strip. It's going back to being an old 6 seater with a center seat that folds into a center console. Not to mention the tailgate fold into a ramp and the suspension comes standard as auto leveling airbags. It also comes standard with 120/240 volt outlets and a tap off the air compressor for the airbags.

The main downside? Most people would say it's pretty! Pretty ugly... but everyone has their own taste I guess...elon-musk-cybertruck-BackGrid.thumb.jpg.a56aeabf1b6d2a391c661ee6f0f0e754.jpgtesla-cybertruck.thumb.jpg.35a3951285cda2f157062961db1d9602.jpgTesla-Cybertruck-electric-pickup-lights-on.jpg.237cfe22d9cdb912b4a14bb6b64513f0.jpgTesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-with-Extendable-Ramps-and-Tesla-ATV.jpg.fae799d0506a426219f387e386f3c790.jpgcybertruckofficial.thumb.jpeg.3622395ab37e564cc633007c5e2843cb.jpeg

So what do y'all think?

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Looks like crap, you're still burning coal or nuclear energy to move it, then when the batteries shit the bed you have to handle that environmental disposal headache and pay 25 grand for a new set of batteries.  You can't road trip in it because gas stations aren't "electric" stations.  Tesla's are just liberal status items, so you can tell your friends you have more blow money than them and that you are pioneering the environmental electric/automated car movement.

I agree it looks terrible, but I've been doing my research and on their newer models it's damn near impossible to ruin one of their batteries, and the things have been going for 7+ years now! There was a story a while back about a journalist trying to kill a Tesla and when he finally gave up after putting the car through hell and refusing to charge it at any stations along the route, it still had more than enough power to climb up onto a rollback. Speaking of road trips, I know a lot of people who can and do it anyways in their Teslas (they're all from Maryland, but none of them are liberal and hate the state as much as I do so they all roadtrip out to Ohio or Tennessee), apparently there's plenty of charging stations all over, and supposedly they're bringing charging times down under an hour so most of them just stop to eat and by they time they're done the car is charged and ready to roll. As for having more money... you can get a brand new Tesla for around $35,000, which is pretty good for a brand new luxury sedan, which is exactly what class it falls in. As for the fact you're still burning coal, yes but from what I've read that process is still about 4x more energy efficient than burning gas in a car.

I should add that I'm not the biggest fan of Tesla, and it'll be a long while before I even consider owning one, but I'm just pointing out the lessons I've learned on this. I used to think like you until one of my friends got an old Tesla Model S and I did some research. Personally I think gas is going to be hard to come by with regulations like the EU are pushing, so going electric in the next 10-15 seems inevitable, and if I have to convert a vehicle of mine to electricity, I'm going do it with Tesla batteries and motors because nobody can compete! They're about 5 years ahead of the competition on that front. I just wish this truck looked better, the specs are pretty great for what it is!

Maybe I'm wrong but this is just what I've read about and talked to people with first hand experience about...

Regardless it's an ugly truck!

Edited by CaptainCrutch
  • Like 1

Where or who would service this truck? Does it use thing like bearings and suck that regular vehicles use or is everything proprietary to Tesla?  

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

34 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Where or who would service this truck? Does it use thing like bearings and suck that regular vehicles use or is everything proprietary to Tesla?  

it uses glitter and rainbow unicorn vomit that you can only get from tesla.

• Haha 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Tesla would service the truck but it doesn’t require regular maintenance, you only need to see them when something breaks, but some smaller shops are opening that are capable of dealing with them. The things don’t even use the break pad they have all that often, they just turn up the resistance in the motors instead.

But it’s a unibody design so I’m pretty sure if you get in any crash the thing is totaled... Although, they beat the thing with a sledge hammer and steel balls and everything was fine other than some cracked windows.

3 years ago I was at a Rotary lunch function and the guest speaker was 1 of Australia's (now deceased) most respected motoring journalist. After he finished his talk about motor car industry he was asked his opinion of electric cars. He said that the future is hydrogen powered vehicles, not electric. He also said that he had recently returned from Japan test driving 1 company's (he did not name the company) new prototype cars which were not electric. A few months later without any fanfare Toyota brought 3 Camry's to Australia powered by hydrogen for testing.

The Australian federal government is considering/investigating hydrogen production for export and local use. I also have read that there are a number of hydrogen trials powering public transport buses and other vehicles, with existing engines.

If hydrogen does progress and cost effective and practical conversion kits are made for existing engines, petrol and diesel, millions of cars and trucks will continue to be used with reduced emissions - a win win, especially for our Old Macks and they will be emissions compliant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, h67st said:

The NY Times called the Cybertruck "pointy". It looks like a space ship.

The entire body design is for low cost manufacturing. All the body panels are made with a shear and a brake. no curves so no expensive tooling and presses.

But like his hyped Semi that he took tons of deposits on this will quietly go away. I recall his semi was to be in production this past summer.

The pick up if produced will be the new thing in Hollywood to be seen in.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

46 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

The entire body design is for low cost manufacturing. All the body panels are made with a shear and a brake. no curves so no expensive tooling and presses.

I always understood that one of the reasons manufacturers put curves and the like in body is to give them strength and top stop a lot of noise and warpping etc

This ute doesnt appear to have it

Deboss garage did a segment on this jigger 

It is huge and will be hard to park anywhere in Australia, dunno about the US but Richard seems to think this will be a problem in Canada and he lists a few other issues 

Paul

2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

But like his hyped Semi that he took tons of deposits on this will quietly go away. I recall his semi was to be in production this past summer.

The pick up if produced will be the new thing in Hollywood to be seen in.

The Semi hasn’t gone away, in fact I saw just recently they were still filing patents for new components, I think the updated timeline is summer 2020. The other thing about Tesla is they almost never meet production timelines, the one exception is their upcoming Model Y which is early because it’s basically a bigger version of their Model 3. No new tech is needed for it. They bumped back Semi and Roadster 2.0 to make room for Model Y and this new Cybertruck, but now that those are out of the way they can focus on actually producing all the products they’ve unveiled...

That’s a very interesting facts captain I know most of you were wondering about charging stations I run from Reno to Anaheim California and there’s three of them that I know of on 395 Bridgeport  Lonepine and Mojave Within 512 miles but when I get down to Los Angeles in orange county I hardly see any electric cars at all and believe me there is thousands of cars all around me some mornings I don’t see any at all you would think they would be more popular and that area....bob

That’s a very interesting facts captain I know most of you were wondering about charging stations I run from Reno to Anaheim California and there’s three of them that I know of on 395 Bridgeport  Lonepine and Mojave Within 512 miles but when I get down to Los Angeles in orange county I hardly see any electric cars at all and believe me there is thousands of cars all around me some mornings I don’t see any at all you would think they would be more popular and that area....bob

There are plenty of them in Southern California

Go to any mall and you will find also the city of LA is making owners prewire all new construction, and remodel, garages for electric charging stations.

The few people that I know that have electric, or plug in hybrids, charge them at home and work.

I have been toying with the idea of building an electric cobra but it wouldn't sound right. I was also thinking that i could charge it with the diesel generator to really mess with some people's heads
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1