B-73 Restoration

13 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

The fastening system for this deck was originally self tapping screws into the cross members. I'm going to use the same thing. I'll drill and then countersink the holes to keep the heads below the surface. the wood is Apitong and very dense and hard. It's very durable, nearly impervious to rot and doesn't really swell.

now that the deck is having  a number of small shorter pieces; the self  tapping screw would be the way to go. large head bolts would look awkward since there will be so many fasteners.  tongue and groove the pieces (heck of a lot of work) would eliminate some fasteners . at this point with boards cut and looking excellent  T&G not likely. difficult to see ; even with enlarged picture , did you eliminate the chain / binder holders in front? winch underside with cable coming through rollers ?

On 10/21/2023 at 9:12 PM, h67st said:

Elevator bolts. We used them when we built roll-up trailer doors, they pull down almost flush with the surface (except Apitong is pretty hard, sounds like Matt is going the correct route).

cbelz.jpg

I like those!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Looks the goods to me

I can't imagine anyone having a wooden tilt tray in Australia 

I doubt a wooden tray has been used on a heavy truck in Australia in the last 20 or 30 years 

Steel is normal now on everything these days

Tray looks really neat and tidy, you've gotta be proud of the result

Paul