B-73 Restoration

3 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Utilizing my amateur woodworking skills today. Ripped down the oak for the frame rail strips. Drilled and countersunk all the holes for mounting and now treating the wood with preservative. I’ll give them a few coats before I mount them. Ordered up some parts from Jerr-Dan for the sliding pads and some hydraulic line protector for the winch lines. Mocked up a NOS control box I found to replace the crusty one where the valve body mounts. Ordered more hardware to attach all the bed bed mounts and guides. All the new hydraulic lines should be back next week. And…. Busy day getting a lot of things ready for the bed. Thinking I might make Gerhart’s this year(maybe)!!

IMG_0511.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

had to go out and buy more ink for the printer ::LOL .keep the pictures coming. if my wife had an interest in trucks , she'd be like me =outta words ( and that's never happened) for the build. 

40 minutes ago, Brocky said:

A light bar on the Top of the headache rack will give you additional safety in stop and turn  for normal driving as well as some amber to show off in a parade..

no offence but alight bar ON TOP it will look like a tow truck, this B-73 is in a class ALL BY IT'S SELF. possibly lights built into the head ache rack will look custom and be a safety addition AND  be ONE OF  A KIND as this B-73 is.

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

For sure, The last of my WW II veteran uncles passed away and I start thinking of all the things I did NOT ask them about

Yeah, but I think a lot of things might of been a little touchy for them and I was bought up not to ask questions, a very different up bringing to people  today 

Paul

14 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Yeah, but I think a lot of things might of been a little touchy for them and I was bought up not to ask questions, a very different up bringing to people  today 

Paul

Your comment is timely Paul.  Having a conversation with my youngest and his wife this morning on this subject.  Her grandfathers were unique, one US Army, WW II and Korea, and the other flew in the Luftwaffe.  He and my daughter in laws dad came to US in 1956.  Talk about that family's reunions!  Neither of the grandfathers were willing conversationalists when it came their experiences.

I also had good friends I worked with who were in Vietnam-including two West Point grads.  One got a Purple Heart as a dump truck hit a mine when they were building a road...he got the PH as he had ear damage-he would talk a lot..  The other was a Ranger who saw all kinds of stuff...not so much.  A lot of them also were supply types who had steak and beer very often.

Before you get into conversations with these guys you should know their feelings on this.

Bob

• Thanks 1

have (had) two uncles whom served WWII .one was a Purple Heart recipient and a POW . survived Omaha beach . both had backs which looked like craters from being hit by shell fragments. neither ever to my knowledge talked of those days. My Brother was fortunate enough to survive Viet Nam.  upsetting   me the fact Viet Nam was never a war ; it didn't meet the requirements of a war !!!! it was a conflict. are you fu--in kidding me over 58 thousand died and are still dying and suffering and it didn't meet the requirements. don't want to take a positive topic and turn it negative, just upsetting when military service people are turned in to pawns for a few who think its a game.

• Like 2

All of the WWII vets I know are gone. My Godfather was a LST captain in Europe and the Pacific theater and my neighbor was a Marine vet from Iwo Jima and later the Chosin Reservoir. The Viet Nam vets I’m most close to, as I learned to fly from them when I was a kid fresh out of flight school. We’re all retired now and we meet up monthly for coffee once a month on a Sunday to chat. But, they too are fading away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, terry said:

Served “69” in V.N. Terrible, terrible waste of young men over there, for absolutely nothing! Of course seems that’s the way all our conflicts go lately  Terry :MackLogo:

don't want to go off B-73 resto topic ;at this time it's aways important to say THANK YOU, SIR and many others for YOUR SERVICE.  lest us not forget sept15 is POW/MIA recognition day. and the B-73 work is excellent

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 8:13 PM, mattb73lt said:

It's a 24' Jerr Dan roll back with a 10K winch. The deck is a wood inlay. I'm going to use Apitong, a red Brazilian hard wood, for the decking. It's used a lot for trailer flooring. I'm ordering it through Atlantic Trailer over in Cheshire.

If the B73 has a 249 WB  mounting a 24ft body , isn't there going to be excessive overhang? 249= 20ft +- ;  axle to back of cab ? (5-6 ft )  body hinge  mounted close to rear axle ;  jerr dann has 6in side rails ? :3 1/2  new crossmembers ? sitting on 2= 6 in subframes ?guessing based on excellent pictures posted.

Damn, now you’re making me second guess what I did?? I had to go out and remeasure everything to double check and draw it up to be certain.Thanks by the way! So the axle does sit close to the center of the bed, 12’8” forward and 11’4” in the rear. What you’re probably not accounting for are the two under body frames that raise and lower the deck. In the upper photo, they’re blocked by the torch set. The lower frame extends out from the end of the truck frame about 6’4”. From there, there’s only 1’10” of over hang at the tail end. The lower frame presses on the ground to raise/lower the deck, stabilizes the deck at loading docks and is also a rear bumper (Mansfield bar).

IMG_1674.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

It's all good; no doubt You didn't have it figured out. sorry for undo concern. being old school using math on paper not on cell phone/computer, seemed close. 

it's all good ; no doubt you DID HAVE IT FIGURED OUT  = what is meant ; not you did not figure it out . 

• Haha 2