B-73 Restoration

I gather when you say your screwing the boards down you mean a nut and bolt type of screw not a self tapper

I remember my first attempt at a wooden tray

Air dried timber, cut the center board custom for a neat fit and bought another center board for when the wood shrank further 

Just nailed it in place 

It all dried and I closed up the gabs and fitted my spare center board

Screwed it all down

First lot of rain it saw, the boards all swelled up and popped out everywhere 

Had to wait for it all to dry again to jack all the warped timber back into place

Nut and blots this time

When carting cattle the boards would swell right up tight and sort of buldged here and there but worked fine and no further issues

A few rookie mistakes were made by me there

Paul

• Like 2

21 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I’m a big fan of carriage bolts and nylock nuts!

box truck carriage bolts fine (they are inside not exposed to elements.) that flat bed I would go the route of floor decking bolts  1/4 in  which have the 3/4- 1 in flathead  and flat washers / nylon nuts. few more $$ but well worth it ( my thoughts )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

box truck carriage bolts fine (they are inside not exposed to elements.) that flat bed I would go the route of floor decking bolts  1/4 in  which have the 3/4- 1 in flathead  and flat washers / nylon nuts. few more $$ but well worth it ( my thoughts )

Will you need to countersink them to prevent snags????

Brocky

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

Will you need to countersink them to prevent snags????

NO- bolts I'm talking of have a larger diameter  head which is thinner. tightening the bolts which have the flat washer against the steel channel NOT under bolt head go close to flush with top deck boards.

• Like 2

The fastening system for this deck was originally self tapping screws into the cross members. I'm going to use the same thing. I'll drill and then countersink the holes to keep the heads below the surface. the wood is Apitong and very dense and hard. It's very durable, nearly impervious to rot and doesn't really swell.

• Like 1
  • Like 1