B-73 Restoration

My God these young kids don’t even want to get out and do anything just hold the steering wheel. You probably heard me mention before Fedex has got some of the laziest people I’ve ever seen and they’re not all kids Christ for Christ Sex nut up and do your job. 

it's defiantly a TOTALLY different world. i've seen triaxle dumps going for 300 plus , but they have all the "show stuff" = all the lights , fancy wheels  etc. a basic unit ???  but when an engine is 30K, turbo 3 K ;;;; glad I'm out . I'd have to double the heart meds. years back rebuilding a set of Mack rears , " had $2600.oo in parts which I sweated out hoping to get paid. 2600 today might buy some bearings.. PAY ATTENTION EVERYONE lets NOT go off topic. 😄

1 hour ago, mattb73lt said:

I was over at my friend's yard today, the one that very graciously sent me several lifts to assembly my truck. He just took delivery of a 2024 Mack Granite Tri-axle Roll Back with a Century body. I couldn't help but park mine next to it to compare. Not even registered yet, with all the stickers still on it!. I almost passed out when he said it was over $300,000, DAMN!!!!! 64 years between the two.image.thumb.jpeg.3fc723d2a80b1aa242539b4ab356790f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aa973d0faef982c149c1e529615b7ff0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f42cb3b3e4d799a329adaef82d38fd2.jpeg

There's some photos here that need blowing and in hanging in the house, possibly even the dealership the new truck came from

Some smarter than me could think of a smart caption comparing the two

Really great photos 

I'm impressed with both trucks

As for the price, you yanks have been spoilt with cheap trucks for 50 years or more, you wouldn't want to buy a truck in Australia, you'd all fairly die in the ass at new truck prices out here

Paul

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

Mehohaulic, the balance of the truck is pretty good. The deck has 13' forward and 11' aft. If you look at the landing gear, there's not much room to move the axle back maybe another foot. But that's about it.

E633209C-42C3-4E3E-B1B2-35E2918A0160_1_105_c.jpeg

it also could just be the angle first picture was taken. this side view isn't looking  as off set. no matter what angle ; it's amazing work of art.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

it also could just be the angle first picture was taken. this side view isn't looking  as off set. no matter what angle ; it's amazing work of art.

i brought that up a while ago about weight distribution ,,,,, im sure you could probably get away with around 18,000 pound vehicle on it...and yes the truck is definately breath taking...thanks again matt for all your updated photos...bob

• Like 2

On 11/3/2023 at 7:33 PM, mattb73lt said:

Mehohaulic, the balance of the truck is pretty good. The deck has 13' forward and 11' aft. If you look at the landing gear, there's not much room to move the axle back maybe another foot. But that's about it.

E633209C-42C3-4E3E-B1B2-35E2918A0160_1_105_c.jpeg

speaking of the landing gear; two pistons 4-6 diameter, 2 in rams ??  look to be 18in long. I found a DM steel nose with same body set up on auctionzip. nice looking set up .. think DM said it had 22 ft body. 

darn fancy set up for a rigging co having all the chrome and alum. basically it's a triaxle dump set up  having a HD flatbed instead of dump. being an "ole dog lover", takes a while for me to "warm up "to new. R's taking place of B's wasn't  bad; valueliner /superliner replacing R took getting use to and so on. these new models discussed even on here are a challenge. point is that's one fine looking Mack = the plastic round design will take some adjusting to . LOL just my thoughts.

• Like 2

No, I don't plan on letting that happen. Still some stuff to finish, but the future goal is to get out there with it and drive it. Plus, using it to haul my cars to antique car tours for which the other truck was built and this was to be it's follow on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we weren't watching the transformation through pictures on BMT, I would say without a doubt ==THAT'S NOT THE SAME TRUCK . the fact it is a B=73 with the bold radiator and so forth makes that build even more spectacular! nothing wrong with a B-61 build or any other truck== MACK . 73/ 75 has a way of saying ; get out of my way i'm coming through. for highway units. now if looking at the 73's cousin the B-81 = won't go there ..LOL 

• Like 2