B-73 Restoration

On 9/15/2023 at 7:32 PM, mattb73lt said:

Painted everything black with POR-15. A lot of this stuff was pretty crusty and had to be rebuilt, mostly the lifting frames and the bed cross members. Everything is heavily coated, but it's unlikely this truck will see Snow and salt again. I got some smaller stuff hooked up today and painted to piston that slides the body. It seemed to be the best was to do it, because it's so long. Next week should see the hydraulic lines go in and some more equipment mounted. I'm thinking later next week I may slide the body back on. I may do it with the other truck by reversing the body on the bed and rolling it onto the new truck. Or, I may call my friend and borrow another lift. That may be the easiest way to do it.

C9299AF4-51F7-4D8E-B1AA-FEEB6AEBA20C_1_105_c.jpeg

8C44E690-0579-45DF-BCD3-D8EA89C08C61_1_105_c.jpeg

Spectacular work, as always.

One question:  did you put anything over the POR 15?  It has no UV protection and will fade to ugly.  I found that out when I did the frame on my B.  It was glossy for about a year and now pretty ugly.  

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

picture up dates??? deck installed ; or work taken  priority ?? one deck picture shows looks to be lever left front?? hyd control for slide ??? under side picture appears to have graded mesh in two front corners ?== spot for chains and binders  replacing tool box under side ?? 

On 10/5/2023 at 9:43 AM, mattb73lt said:

Mechohaulic, That's not a lever, it's a chain binder from when I had it strapped to the bed of the other truck. There are two screen chain pockets on either side of the winch area for storage. Future plans have two polished aluminum storage boxes on either side of the frame. I'm looking for two vertical chain storage lockers to mount on both sides of the head board. Probably pin striping and door lettering to dress it up a little and finish it. It does look good, though!

CDBF72F9-DBCB-4DE2-AC8C-3C420C17DEEA_1_105_c.jpeg

"does look good" is more then modest , to see it at a show would defiantly be 110 % positive. to be one of the many lucky ones on this forum to have watched this unit go from found in the woods  to the "mona Lisa " of the trucking world  === no words . mind boggling the end results .  pin striping will be like a female Appling make up; you want it to be classy - not trashy. challenge will be , if you go gold leaf with all the red, don't want it to be considered a fire truck( NOT THAT THERE IS ANTY THING WRONG WITH FIRE TRUCKS !!). this work of art is in a class of it's own.

• Like 2

Yeah, it sure doesn’t need anything but personally, I think  extra lights under the doors and bumper if anything …. Pinstripe???? Not sure that it goes well with older rigs. Besides, I think it’s kind of Yesterdays news personally…. Bob

But then, again, isn’t that what we all have here is  yesterday’s news?  Lol … i’m kind of anxious to see how this unit is going to perform … I was starting there aaawwwwwwed watching this guy operate this thing Brockway show. bob

IMG_2351.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

• Like 2

Paul, I think (???) you sort of have it figured out.. And yes it operates different than most of US roll backs (tilt trays).. 

The unit Mowerman  posted the picture of is a Landall trailer version of a tilt tray only the tandems slide forward to lower it to the ground..

• Like 2

Brocky

17 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

So would I be correct in my understanding of this tilt tray 

The bumber bar light bracket doohickie has it's own hydraulic function and this also doubles as the feet or stabilizer to take the strain and stop the truck doing a wheel stand

The big long ram on top pushes the tray back and gravity allows it to gently lower to the ground as point of balance changes as the tray slides back

And I gather you have a hydraulic winch up the front as well in the floor of the tray 

Do I have any of this correct

Tilt trays over there are a lot different than Australia 

Paul

correct in operation ideas; study the pictures very closely (I have numerous times). the rear "landing gear" attaches to the bed /deck rails at 4 points =2 each side :: 2 on inside of rails ; two on outside. the landing gear is lowered first ;  for stability also control of bed/deck tilt . gear down, extend deck; as deck extends the landing gear is slowly raised, thus allowing the deck to tilt at controlled rate.  sure hope I'm right =will be in heap of doo doo  with owner for miss instructions. LOL

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

Wow a Superliner in a Brockway Costume lol 😆 😅 🤣 😂 

Actually Brockway had a prototype for a 1978 new model on the floor when Mack closed them out in the spring of 1977 and Mack kept the design and made it the Superliner.  The old Brockway website had a big topic on it with many pictures from the engineering  / design room.

• Like 1

Brocky

9 hours ago, Brocky said:

Actually Brockway had a prototype for a 1978 new model on the floor when Mack closed them out in the spring of 1977 and Mack kept the design and made it the Superliner.  The old Brockway website had a big topic on it with many pictures from the engineering  / design room.

I knew that actually I was making a Halloween Joke hahahaha. But thanks for the info

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. I got it …ha ha that thing was absolutely gorgeous .. I originally wasn’t going to take any pictures of it and then I got to looking at it a little closer and I mean it was immaculate hundred percent restoration. There was no flaws on that thing at all every detail covered it actually looked a lot better than the photograph shows.