B-73 Restoration

On 4/1/2024 at 12:29 PM, mattb73lt said:

Back home again after a four month slumber. After checking it over it fired right up after very little effort. I had a friend go with me to drive my car back. He said,”Damn, that thing is fast!”. I thought I was just chugging along and shifting it easy, keeping the RPM’s down while I got used to driving it again. The speedometer is a little off and I was just moving along in traffic, but he said we almost hit 80 a couple of times. It really doesn’t feel like it at all.

But, now to get a few things wrapped up on it for its first real truck show at Yankee Candle on 5/5!!

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

any idea of your next appearance at a show?? have been looking forward for weeks to may 5th since you wrote of having high hopes of the B 73making it debut there. due to conflicting events same day I can't make the Deerfield show.  the Knights of Columbus , to which I am a member are hosting an important gathering ;;;Darn . 52 weeks a year/ 365days a year seems everything takes place same day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Also looking at Bethlehem, 6/8&9, Brooklyn 6/23. I'm thinking about Macungie, 6/14&15, but I'm going to need a couple of days for that and that's right at the start of my busy season.

Excellent I’ll be there this year. Looking forward to seeing it in person… bob

29 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

The Merritt boxes I ordered came in last week and I spent today installing them. They’re matching 5’ long boxes, with dual doors that swing to the side. That’ll give me better access for my equipment. The left one is going to be for all my deck equipment and the right one will be just for storage and carrying stuff. I was going to order 2 DEF boxes and mount them to the headache rack. But, after installing these two I have a good 36” area on the passenger side between the storage and battery boxes. I’ll order one more box for there and that will be just for truck items (oils, tools and parts.

I met with the sign painter on Wednesday evening. She took a bunch of pictures and we exchanged some ideas. She’s going to send me some mockups in a bit. She’s about 4-5 weeks out. So, it’ll be a bit before that gets done.

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1055.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

no words on those ;; beyond words! looked to be such a lot of space battery to drives ; but those  filled it in perfectly .not to little or too much . one question :(not another one  LOL). the axle nuts ??chrome caps would be tooo much , paint ?? 

• Like 1

They look good, but are they upside down ?

The reason I ask is every trailer or truck I have owned the lid opens down not up

Gives a hand bench to sit stuff on while searching thru the box and you don't hit your head, the light shines in there for searching about

Don't get me wrong, those are sharp looking boxes and I maybe wrong but it appears these hinge up opening 

Paul

6 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

They look good, but are they upside down ?

The reason I ask is every trailer or truck I have owned the lid opens down not up

Gives a hand bench to sit stuff on while searching thru the box and you don't hit your head, the light shines in there for searching about

Don't get me wrong, those are sharp looking boxes and I maybe wrong but it appears these hinge up opening

Paul

They're side opening boxes.

13 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

The Merritt boxes I ordered came in last week and I spent today installing them. They’re matching 5’ long boxes, with dual doors that swing to the side. That’ll give me better access for my equipment. The left one is going to be for all my deck equipment and the right one will be just for storage and carrying stuff. I was going to order 2 DEF boxes and mount them to the headache rack. But, after installing these two I have a good 36” area on the passenger side between the storage and battery boxes. I’ll order one more box for there and that will be just for truck items (oils, tools and parts.

I met with the sign painter on Wednesday evening. She took a bunch of pictures and we exchanged some ideas. She’s going to send me some mockups in a bit. She’s about 4-5 weeks out. So, it’ll be a bit before that gets done.

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1055.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

Matt, any thoughts about putting mud flaps or some protection between the front of drive wheels and rear of storage boxes to protect and keep the box rears looking good and probably the doors as well? The boxes look great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

It’s probably your perspective, maybe just spin your computer 180 degrees. It should look correct🤣🤣. But yes they do open to the sides. Lots of room in them. I have a shelf to add to the left one to help keep it organized.

IMG_1057.jpeg

IMG_1058.jpeg

bet they double as a good hide away from the other half and the honey do list ,,LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

THANK YOU for update . question I was asking pertained to rear drive axle  (15/16th ? ) nuts . with this unit better than most museum pieces , the axle nuts themselves are tarnished from air gun install. going in for red paint touch up or smaller nut  chrome caps ?

don't know as if I would want to "slap myself " with thoughts "it's mine "! my luck a slap would wake me up from a amazing dream to find out ; only a dream.  not only a major positive reading/ watching this start to finish build ; most important the inspiration YOU have given so many to continue their builds. nothing on this build was in the ordinary. the B-73 / L cab not the usual B-61 etc; roll off bed not standard . perfect color red with no over kill on chrome. can really be pis--d off I can't make Deerfield ; dates are on my calendar for Bethlehem/ Brooklyn/ Macungie

I have the nut covers for the rear, but i need to order the 15/16" covers for the axle nuts. They're both cadmium plated and yes, once you hit htem with a wrench they will start to tarnish and rust. The front ones already were, even though I was careful installing the,. They are more exposed to the elements than the rears. We'll meet up at one of the upcoming shows!!