Recently I saw a book on Evil bay for sale which recovered the history of Mack rail transport affairs.

Priced reasonable and looked interesting to have on a shelf.

Haven't saved the link (and haven't bought it either). Probably would be easier to locate by the "search" option on there.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

29 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

What I'm wondering is just how was it powered?  Those "trucks"look like the typical truck you would see on a boxcar vs a traction motor driving the wheels????

They used the AC "high hat"  (aluminum head, hi compression) engine driving a generator that powered electric traction motors on one truck driving a center mounted gear. . I have some period MACK Plainfield N.J. production photos, I'll have to dig them out and scan them for you.   Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 minutes ago, dek1581 said:

hey Paul that water tower in the background sure looks like it might say 'MACK' on it. did they have a plant in Syosset back in the day?

That CERRO Wire, they did  High Voltage power transmission cables from the early 1920's until they were EPA'd off  Long Island in the early 1980's.

cerro.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

28 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

They used the AC "high hat"  (aluminum head, hi compression) engine driving a generator that powered electric traction motors on one truck driving a center mounted gear. . I have some period MACK Plainfield N.J. production photos, I'll have to dig them out and scan them for you.   Paul

would be interesting to see

11 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Thx Paul-but you get my point.  the restored car in that picture for sure does not have a driving truck in front and the one in the back looks like a conventional non driving truck too.  Again I have no clue-just thinking of what a typical truck looks like say on an old school locomotive like an RS-1 or one of those 1500 HP GM yard switchers

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

Thx Paul-but you get my point.  the restored car in that picture for sure does not have a driving truck in front and the one in the back looks like a conventional non driving truck too .  Again I have no clue-just thinking of what a typical truck looks like say on an old school locomotive like an RS-1 or one of those 1500 HP GM yard switchers

Here is the deal on McHughs #4  unit.

Mack Truck Inc. between 1905 and 1939 built 21 locomotives and sold 19 of them.  The Mack Company produced 19 locomotives that where all direct gear driven units except for two boxcab’s #4 & #5. During 1939 boxcab’s #4 & #5 were retrofitted at the Mack Truck factory with two six cylinder EP Mack gasoline engines. The engines were connected to two 1503 General Electric 300 volt generators that where wired in series to provide DC electric to power the 600 volt traction motors for travel. The #4 & #5 where never sold and they where used at the Allentown 5A & 5C plants. Mack #4 departed the company 5-C plant  in 1967.

Mack #4 preformed the last switching duties at the historic dual 3 foot narrow and standard gauge rail yards in Mount Union PA at the East Broad Top Railroad & Coal Co during November & December of 1969. Mack #4 was again moved to a heritage rail line in 1970 where it was briefly used. It ran until the mid 1970's. The unit was stripped of the engines, generators and trucks In late 2007 that both #4 & #5 were scheduled to see the flames of the scrapers torch by their former owner. However #4 was saved in March 2008 and the rare box cab locomotive has been restored (less power units and correct powered trucks) to its Mack Truck Inc. heritage.  Mack #4 now proudly rests at the entrance of McHugh Locomotive & Equipment.

The trucks are the none powered MACK units and the Engines, Generators and traction units are missing.

I also think the first photo of Kovelchick moving it is miss I/D'd as Syosset and ins at Allentown or Kovelchicks yard in PA.

Leaving Allentown 1967

img121.jpg

img110.jpg

img120.jpg

When McHugh received it

loco35-07-400x267.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

Kovalchick's than and now builds their own trailer units specific to railroad  rails, cars and power units. They are one of the biggest train - railroad scrap and salvage companies around.

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 12/31/2016 at 0:19 PM, Red Horse said:

Paul,

Thx for all the detective work.  Lot of history there.  Also nice shot of the MB hooked to a vintage short Mack corporate trailer.  Chevy wrecker in photo is like 63? 64?

On 12/31/2016 at 2:17 PM, Phase 1 said:

The Chevy wrecker is a 65.

I wonder if that is a Mack built trailer. 

On 12/31/2016 at 7:53 PM, 41chevy said:

Kovalchick's than and now builds their own trailer units specific to railroad  rails, cars and power units. They are one of the biggest train - railroad scrap and salvage companies around.

I meant the Mack company box trailer. It looks like it could have come from the era when Mack was building trailers.

img110.jpg