The All New Mack

Well, I can say that I don't like it but it's not too bad. 

I don't like it cause I just don't like any of these new aerodynamic trucks. 

But in saying that, I think it's certainly as good if not better than a lot of other brands getting around. It looks modern, which I'm guessing is what they wanted. And now the steering wheel attendant can stand up while he is attending the steering wheel (that's important for fleets). 

I agree with everyone else the mirrors don't look very nice, but I'm sure they are functional.

But at the end of the day it's just a fleet truck in my eyes. 

Edited by Timmyb

To me these are actually probably in reality the best case scenario.  They still use the mack design cab improved it for the fleets atleast it's not a volvo cab . The truck can be optioned with different grills and without hood mirrors all in all it could be much worse.  It could be better but the L ,B,And R series are never coming back I'd drive one of these over a freightliner any day.  I am still hoping mack brings a big bore engine back to market for my line of work . 

• Like 1

Well, I gotta apologize to all you guys. I've been here before defending Mack and Volvo and really still wanted to be a Mack fan, but you guys were all correct. Mack is going down the crapper. That is the ugliest, goofiest looking thing I have ever seen. Hahahahaha. Where did they find those designers? Good lord!

Mack has finally lost me. They want to ignore heavy haul and off road....and then the best they can do is come out with the new Tonka toy robot.

And that grill looks even more hideous on the axle forward that is coming. But at least on the axle forward you can just replace the grill with the current one to make it look decent again.

And that interior that all models are getting. What's with the flat bottom steering wheel? Is that so the new breed knows when they are going straight?

And I bet the dash is just like the M2/108SD Freightliners......I bet you can't see that bottom row of gauges at all without craning your neck up over the steering wheel.

All I gotta say is FAIL. Glad I got a 4900 Western Star.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 8:53 PM, MackMann85 said:

Were you guys there?  You really couldnt be more wrong, the crowd went nuts and you could feel the energy.  Everyone was jumping around when they came out and you could barely see things.  I had to wait in line for 5 minutes to get inside one to see it myself.  great event

if we were quiet it was out of respect to the speakers and empty seats were all the salesmen in the bathroom from the free drinks in between speeched!

Dont like the mirrors, dont the click the box, they arent mandatory.  This is the new aero highway tractor.  The CHU still lives on with the classic look and so does the vocational granite.  This replaces neither.  They all get the nice new upgraded interior.

I think owner operaters who want aerodynamics and a tougher look that than some other aero tractors out there will really like it.  I thought the storage in the sleeper may be the best out there.  Almost all fleets wont accept anythig other than a stand up cab these days, that is why Mack hit on it so hard.  Much needed.

Jeeesh you guys can be negative sometimes!

The R model is gone for good and has been gone for decades,some people on this forum were not even born when they stopped making them, having said that people have a right to be nostalgic about the past.The reaction to this truck IMO has been relatively warmer than expected considering that the insults in the direction of Sweden have been few.No negatives really just constructive criticism.

On 15/09/2017 at 8:15 PM, JTFormula said:

I watched the reveal myself and I thought "huh, just a vision with a bad facelift". All of this hype for this? But when I had seen this picture and thought that's not really bad.  I hate the hood mirrors and the grill was a little off putting at first and the headlights are not really doing it for me but the more I look at it, it grows on me.  I think its just something new we are not use to. Mack is not going to make the R models or Superliners, or B Models any more. That's a fact. They went for a new more modern look to set themselves apart from the rest of the over the road trucks. Its a bit harder and tougher looking than the rest of the Areo trucks out there. It may just get them some extra sales... or not. I'm withholding final decision until I see one in person.

Agreed....we just wanted a better sleeper environment for our guys living in the trucks weekly. I get to drive around in a bunked out Superdog. I get It, its an attention getter but 13 hrs in a small cab gets to you after a bit and after years of doing it. I enjoy a run in one of our Pinnacles and my poor wife whacks her head on the cab roof exiting the bunk almost every time...lol.  For the record I loath taking the Volvo out. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bbigrig said:

Agreed....we just wanted a better sleeper environment for our guys living in the trucks weekly. I get to drive around in a bunked out Superdog. I get It, its an attention getter but 13 hrs in a small cab gets to you after a bit and after years of doing it. I enjoy a run in one of our Pinnacles and my poor wife whacks her head on the cab roof exiting the bunk almost every time...lol.  For the record I loath taking the Volvo out. 

It's just me but I'd rather spend 20 hrs a day in an r model or Superliner than 5 hrs in anything new out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, keg1 said:

It's just me but I'd rather spend 20 hrs a day in an r model or Superliner than 5 hrs in anything new out there.

I've got the choice of both. That's why I mix it up. Sometimes I like the quieter smoother trip I get from our newer dogs, sometimes I'm not. Depends on my mood and how long the woman can last in the smaller spaces. Lol.  She enjoys both as well.

I like the industrial look of it compared to a bald and boring looking International LT Series (a reworked ProStar)

I got mixed feelings about MACK TRUCKS staying or keeping an ageing cab structure that dates back to year 1988, but hey we got the R-Model cab or its variants (made by Superior Coach's Sheller-Globe) for almost 40 years also. Sure I would have love to see some change on doors like an incorporated indentation that follows fender design. At least is not VOLVO's VNR / VNL wide cab.

Can wait to see one in day-cab form pulling a tri-axle dump trailer and painted Mack Green. They look tough. I hope grille design gets a change.

Edited by EM6285

Beats those ant eater prostars, cascadias and Paccars  The Anthem is a good replacement for the CXU. Was good to get rid of the tiny Mack emblem and go back to the bold Mack lettering.

I am sure there are already vendors working on grill changes if that's what you want. Day cabs will look good pulling dumps of all sorts as will the new CHU pinnacle. I am sure the hood mirrors will have options:thumb:

• Like 1

I think the test rigs fenders and lighting looked better. More B influence in my eyes.   Paul

From a BMT members post.

FB_IMG_1481827306646.jpg.834522abe6f85e50400f633aefca7ff0.thumb.jpg.307156be44cf1483d367bc4d155273df.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The pinnacle axle back saw a lot of trailer dump service. Not a good looking combo IMO. The Anthem day cab should hold up as well as the Pinnacle CHU. Vehicle inspection is always in order to catch  problems before they are big problems. Keep the parts and pieces tight. I see a T800 like future for the Anthem day cab.

• Like 1