Diesel fuel prices ?

My company's fuel supplier was saying it will be over $6 real soon meanwhile the small stations are down in the low 5's.  Gas is creeping up but not as fast as fuel it seems.  There was a brief relief after Dementia Joe announced opening the reserves only to find out its going to Europe.  NY made a big deal about suspending tax on gas but that doesn't even start til June.  Its all a big mess with no solution in sight.

You have to figure what metric works for your business.  For most it's by the mile. For me it's by the yard of concrete sold.

Figure out your average MPG.

Price per Gallon - amount per gallon you cover, ÷ MPG = surcharge/mile.

Example:

5.89 - 3 = 2.89 ÷ 6 = $0.48/mile surcharge.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

What's going on, is the intentional destruction of the core of our great country!!!  The lib news talks about the issues, product shortages, high rent, high food prices, high fuel prices, and all of of us white people are racist...  And they love every minute of it..  They are fueling the fire that is burning us to the ground..  FJB,  and K.H. and N.P. and Mayorkas , and so many more....   dammit, I get so pissed off !!...  Jojo

Yup and not a peep on the news tonight about these incredible fuel prices..

31 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

What's going on, is the intentional destruction of the core of our great country!!!  The lib news talks about the issues, product shortages, high rent, high food prices, high fuel prices, and all of of us white people are racist...  And they love every minute of it..  They are fueling the fire that is burning us to the ground..  FJB,  and K.H. and N.P. and Mayorkas , and so many more....   dammit, I get so pissed off !!...  Jojo

👏🏻

The oil companies are like the proverbial woman scorned.  They're just letting everyone know who's in charge.  What kind of idiot (s) kick the legs right out from under a country trying to get back up to speed after being shut down ? Oil companies know these morons are to much of a bunch of assholes to stop them from having their way with prices.    and yes.......FJB

• Like 1

Big money controls this country. Big money controls the politicians and there's not an honest one in Washington. I can't remember where I read it but what I read said that if it cost a dollar to refine a gallon of gas, it cost nineteen cents to refine a gallon of diesel. The oil companies are making a killing off of diesel. It's called price gouging but the politicians aren't going to do anything about it. An old trucker, now deceased, told me it was a way to drive all the independent truckers out of business. He told me he was getting fuel one day and a driver with one of the major hauling companies was fueling next to him. The old man said, in talking with the other driver, that he didn't see how the major haulers could make any money paying 4.89 a gallon. The other driver said that they only paid 1.59. The driver, who said his brother worked in the main office, said that at the end of the year that they submit their fuel cost to the govt and they get a rebate from the govt that brings their cost down to 1.59. May be BS but who knows when big money  controls everything.

The whole thing sucks around here it’s up to her 585 in some spots discusting now dumb dumb wants to sends another 40 billion dollars to Ukraine how about taking care of us first the coward should just send all our airforce over there and end it instead of burning through all our tax money (IDIOTS)

Edited by mowerman
Misspelled

18 hours ago, MACKS said:

Right now it’s costing me over a thousand a week for fuel in my dump truck,anybody have a formula for a fuel surcharge,no way I can absorb this cost..

I don't believe in fuel surcharges. First, you add a fuel surcharge and the customer will, expect you to lower it as soon as the price changes, second, high fuel prices raise the price of EVERYTHING including your cost of living. If you only raise your rate by the increase in fuel you are using you are going backwards. I set my rate at what I need which include the present price of fuel and all of the added cost of living and doing business associated. Just use the same formula you used to set your rate before just using your current costs and cost of living. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

I don't believe in fuel surcharges. First, you add a fuel surcharge and the customer will, expect you to lower it as soon as the price changes, second, high fuel prices raise the price of EVERYTHING including your cost of living. If you only raise your rate by the increase in fuel you are using you are going backwards. I set my rate at what I need which include the present price of fuel and all of the added cost of living and doing business associated. Just use the same formula you used to set your rate before just using your current costs and cost of living. 

Agree will just keep upping my rates that’s what most companies are doing around here..

We added a fuel surcharge to our concrete for the first time in 55 years of selling concrete. It's a way to cover the absurdity of one particular major expense that can wildly fluctuate.  "If" the price ever stabilizes back into a reasonable range of $3, we will drop the surcharge.  It also forces the conversation about how messed up things are right now.

• Like 1

I'm just a 'Guppy' in the ocean called "business"..  but these high costs have an instant impact on me.  My service truck is a diesel, I get around 12 mpg. 30 gallon tank.  Certainly nothing compared to my old Century class truck with 2 (95) gallon tanks. which I owned in 2005-06 when fuel was $5 bucks a gallon in the northeast region, where I ran the most..  My issue is that I dont have A large reserve of money, because I am so small and can only do so much work by myself, I dont pull in big buck's. I have 2 road calls to do this morning and I need to squirt some fuel.  So I will probably buy $50.00 worth, to go out and gross $150-$200.00..  That isnt business owner earning's,  thats employee earnings at Wal-Mart. then factor in that all of my products have gone up 50-100%..  IE: Brake cleaner/ Penetrating oil/ Grease tubes/ all forms of oils that I use/ D.O.T. brass/ ect:  My cash rate is only $60/ hour, Now I have to raise my price to ALL of my customers. Anyway,  I know I went out there a bit, but to me it's all the same issue...  jojo

👍...  $150/hr here too..  I know I'm cheap, but in my area,  I'm competitive, a bit low though..  I would rather be in my shop building Mack E-Techs.  I just cranked a John Deere 3179DF yesterday.  I re-built it from a bare block.  I also have an E-Tch and an E-6 2Valve in my shop. Almost done with the E-Tech.  1/2 way through the E-6.  That one is for a restoration that is taking a fews years to get done. I'm about to un cover it and go at it..  Ok, gotta go..  2 road calls today..  jojo

• Like 1