Shop Talk

Onyx610

I was just pissing myself to finally have some decent weather around here to do that seems like winter is 10 months long it was gorgeous yesterday ribs came out a little undercooked.. I have to finish up in the oven ha ha… bob

9 hours ago, mowerman said:

I was just pissing myself to finally have some decent weather around here to do that seems like winter is 10 months long it was gorgeous yesterday ribs came out a little undercooked.. I have to finish up in the oven ha ha… bob

8:10pm

IT'S  SNOWING IN CT  RIGHT NOW !!!!! ''enough for ground to be white..  i really hate this state. was raking leaves yesterday. NO cooking out around here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

IT'S  SNOWING IN CT  RIGHT NOW !!!!! ''enough for ground to be white..  i really hate this state. was raking leaves yesterday. NO cooking out around here.

New England sucks weatherwise, if I had a time machine I would go back and slap my grandparents around for settling in the people's republic of Massachusetts instead of someplace like  the Carolinas

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

Four weeks ago, a relative of mine from "back home" in Western NY State posted a video on FB of his three boys playing ice hockey on their pond.  Last week, he posted one of them swimming in the pond.  I spoke with my sister a few hours ago and they have six inches of snow on the ground and it's supposed to hit 2 degrees tonight!

• Like 2

central new jersey:

friday was 75 degrees. 

this morning it is 24 degrees with a chance of snow and the roofers are discussing starting a fire on the roof to keep warm.  😁

of course they could not be here friday because of rain. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

13 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

New England sucks weatherwise, if I had a time machine I would go back and slap my grandparents around for settling in the people's republic of Massachusetts instead of someplace like  the Carolinas

That’s hilarious the first time I had a chance to get out of there I was gone ha ha… but now I’m kicking my ass I left LA now I’m stuck in Reno where the weather is not that different than yours ……. It doesn’t get that cold that much here and we hardly get any snow at all but it sure isn’t LA …. I hate winter period… and yes 10 four on the grandparents same here ….Bob 

59 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

It was 70+ last Wed, it was teens last night and had 1-2" of snow yesterday.  Suppose to be 70 again this Wed.  This is bullship.

same here in jersey. 

46 minutes ago, mowerman said:

The older I get the more I hate winter I would much rather sweat to death… Bob

not me. i hate the heat. over 80 i can't breathe.

bossman is constantly telling me to put a coat on because i will be out doing something in a short sleeve t-shirt at 40 degrees. 

the cold don't bother me. it is the wind when it is cold that gets to me. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

37 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

same here in jersey. 

not me. i hate the heat. over 80 i can't breathe.

bossman is constantly telling me to put a coat on because i will be out doing something in a short sleeve t-shirt at 40 degrees. 

the cold don't bother me. it is the wind when it is cold that gets to me. 

God love you my wife doesn’t like the heat either she is a runner and it doesn’t help her at all and I don’t mean moonshine in a 47 Ford ha ha… me I have been out there in 100° heat mowing and pulling weeds bring it ha ha… bob

No BBQ in Pennsylvania. The high temp yesterday on my thermometer was 24 degrees Fahrenheit. Today it might break into the low 30's. Crews are still on the scene this morning on interstate 81. They only have 40% of the crash cleared up from yesterdays pile up.

• Sad 1

Mack 11E.jpg

I don't know but sure seems a good old cb sure would have helped out in situations like that?  "Hey there's a wreck, back it down".  Instead, like typical, the whole world piles up on top of each other with no end in site.  Tragic.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I know I wasnt there,,  but the footage I saw repeated on the news 20 times, showed vehicles going very fast when they wrecked.. I used to 'truck' all over P.A. and learned quickly how it snows there..  for example, heading across I-80 through 'Snowshoe' .. a C.B. was the way to get updates on 'everything'.  I hope i dont sound like an a$$..  My heart is with the dead and injured..  jojo

some more thoughts???  I have never driven an automatic tranny truck, so help me with this? how do you gear down safely when you come up on a bad situation?  can you incorporate down shifting and smooth braking to get slowed down without skidding? When I was a full time driver. I drove in the northeast 75% of the time. I spent a lot of time in P.A. / M.A. / Upstate N.Y. /  V.T. / N.H. / M.E. (my home) / C.T. , well anyway.  I was nervouse driving in my first snow storms, but I made it and I studied the conditions.  yes at times I was one of the slower big trucks, but I made it.. just curious,  jojo

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

some more thoughts???  I have never driven an automatic tranny truck, so help me with this? how do you gear down safely when you come up on a bad situation?

There is a large stalk on the right side of the steering column just like turn signal control. You can toggle it up and down to upshift and downshift respectively. This will override the transmission's brain to a degree. You can also push it forward to the dashboard to select different levels of engine braking.  This is with a Detroit DT12. I think Eaton Ultrashifts are similar in operation.....

gotch'a...  I think i would be un-easy, because I wouldnt be able to 'Feel' the truck react to my downshifting and braking..  and I think I would rather let off the throttle, along with smooth braking, to slow down, than to use the engine brake..  dont know, its been a long time since I drove professionally... jojo