Shop Talk

Onyx610

Yup, didn’t make it all the way through the CAC. Took a lot of rinsing though. Haha. This is why you let your engine idle after running it hard and let the oil cool down. The shaft was blued and just had enough. 

Edited by Onyx610

Joey that’s awesome! I love new tools haha. Well On your way to pretty much  being able to do everything. Funny most people just see that as a cabinet with “junk” little do they know how much money is there! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brocky said:

When you restart it have an air shutoff handy!!! Our shop had a Detroit series 60 run away from the oil fumes on the CAC!!!! Apparently not washed good enough???

There was a kid in school that had rebuilt one and it took off on him. No shut off valve needed. He grabbed a hammer and cleaned all the fuel lines off! 🤣

he got lucky, a lot of times they are sucking engine oil  and running on it...  its a scary time when it goes off...  takes a set of Ball's to jump in and try to shut it down, before the boom...  jojo

There was a Mack (it was red) in the class that they just couldn’t kill, one time they forgot to put rod bearings in it and they ran it. Ran for a few minutes. Crank was fine haha then the next time something happen that it decided to just eat the liners. Every time the crank came around it took more and more off until there was nothing left. I think two liners went down. Still fine. To this day I think it’s still ticking away. Here was the one I always liked to work on. Cummins nta855. 

433176C0-17A7-4272-96F8-CB0691BA7704.jpeg

C23C3FA6-5DA5-425A-9CAD-DE13B358C194.jpeg

3C50AAC3-244E-47F9-924C-11BD8068694E.jpeg

2E813653-3D1C-429F-88B3-6F0DB97C7170.jpeg

F56E09DB-5DEF-420A-9416-4253B40B9DEE.jpeg

12669A87-57F5-4984-9C2F-4A8B601B42FB.jpeg

FEDD8DB9-6D1C-4851-9EBD-D83DE68B1C1D.jpeg

CD003F65-CDDA-4AEA-B955-D713BE85B50A.jpeg

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

cummins M-11 ?

Cummins nta855. Never ran and no one ever had interest in it until I got there. Everyone paired up and went for an engine. It was the only one left so I went for it. That thing could smoke you out of the shop though. It had that Cummins PT pump and you adjusted timing with gasket thickness at the cam followers in the side of the block. 

its in my shop, I just cut an engine this week.. also put cam bushings in today,,  I need to get a steady diet of E-Tech builds..  I have built over 30 of them,  hell I dont know mabey 40???  anyway... jojo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

its in my shop, I just cut an engine this week.. also put cam bushings in today,,  I need to get a steady diet of E-Tech builds..  I have built over 30 of them,  hell I dont know mabey 40???  anyway... jojo

Wow, post some pics of the truck and shop sometime. 

1 minute ago, mowerman said:

That was an amazing story about the rod bearings I would have thought the crank was shot

I can’t believe it swallowed two liners into pieces and still ran! Lol

hell, Bob.. he created this thread months ago, and it was a hit!  but then,,,, it went away, deleted..  ???    anyway, glad its back.. I may just bore us by re-posting my posts...  jojo

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

heres a before and after  of the BAD counter bore..  jojo

KIMG0958.JPG

KIMG0960.JPG

That’s amazing, soo worth the money for that tool. Should make you alot of money too haha 

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

hell, Bob.. he created this thread months ago, and it was a hit!  but then,,,, it went away, deleted..  ???    anyway, glad its back.. I may just bore us by re-posting my posts...  jojo

I’d like to get all The content we can back. Nothing is boring in this one. I remember you had a pic of your truck it was cool. 

• Like 1