Shop Talk

Onyx610

On 3/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Onyx610 said:

I’d like to get all The content we can back. Nothing is boring in this one. I remember you had a pic of your truck it was cool. 

Do you remember the Thread Title..?? & roughly How long ago..??

I'll dig it up for you If I can..!!

I very much doubt it was deleted (& if so It wasn't by Me)

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

Do you remember the Thread Title..?? & roughly How long ago..??

I'll dig it up for you If I can..!!

I very much doubt it was deleted (& if so It wasn't by Me)

It was called Shop Talk, in odds and ends. I believe it was pry like 6-8 months ago. I asked tjctransport for help but he couldn’t find anything. I appreciate your help!

Edited by Onyx610

3 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

like the FLYING ACES of the WW's , "operators"  are things of the past  today. ever see the satellite senders on machinery today. the drivers not operators sit back set the computers and a satellite thousands of miles away set the grades on the dozers, scrapers etc. had little time behind controls of a grader trying to teach myself how to operate it. any one can drive it operating is a totally new ball game. besides a grader, running a 100ft + crane was on the bucket list for me. 

I rented a backhoe when I was putting up my  garage and figure it out pretty quick you’re really have to know what you’re doing One cannot just jump on in Run heavy equipment. Although I’m sure most suits think it’s all easy and anybody can do it … Bob

My girl want's a canary yellow 359...  with bug eye headlights...  well.... there goes my Superliner... and she just wants to drive it to the grocery store and to work..    She's back cutting hair again...  Who is she???   :) jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling

3 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Apparently it was nothing for those older guys to plow snow in a blizzard on a open cab dozer and go for miles on end. They have nothing but a little heater at the feet and the whisky bottles people would bring out to them along their way to keep warm. 

I come from a whole family of drivers dating back to the horse and wagon dYs and yes alcohol was very common back then I was surprised you knew that ha ha… Bob 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Apparently it was nothing for those older guys to plow snow in a blizzard on a open cab dozer and go for miles on end. They have nothing but a little heater at the feet and the whisky bottles people would bring out to them along their way to keep warm. 

one of the ole timers i worked for  used his cable run bay city shovel  to lift his truck up in the air;; said he didn't like laying on the ground to grease!! LOL. he also told of running a single axle white from CT to NY in the winter with no heat. he put candles on the dash to defrost the windows. i know i said same thing ;; no way. he was serious. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I come from a whole family of drivers dating back to the horse and wagon dYs and yes alcohol was very common back then I was surprised you knew that ha ha… Bob 

Lol, there was an older guy I used to work with who is pry about 83 now, used to have a lot of good stories and that was one I remember him saying when he plowed for the state when he was younger. He used to drive chain drive Mack’s in and out of the quarry with stone when he was very young. They got paid in soda or something. That was a big deal I guess. Said his mother would have died if she knew what he was doing. Apparently if they popped out of gear going into the quarry you had to jump out? I remember something along those lines.  

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

one of the ole timers i worked for  used his cable run bay city shovel  to lift his truck up in the air;; said he didn't like laying on the ground to grease!! LOL. he also told of running a single axle white from CT to NY in the winter with no heat. he put candles on the dash to defrost the windows. i know i said same thing ;; no way. he was serious. 

Lmfao!! I’m dying…

winter in older times  as kids we watched the town crew plowing the country roads with two man teams per truck. they took turns ;one driving  other was in the dump body SHOVELING the sand out the body to the roads. the blizzard of '78 had an OPERATOR on a TD20 with open cab spent 48 hrs no sleep opening roads 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onyx610 said:

When men were men…

I was driving for nissens bakery back then we were just about the only ones allowed on the road back then with perishables everyone else was not allowed on the road  all vehicles not esencial were banned 

7 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

It was called Shop Talk, in odds and ends. I believe it was pry like 6-8 months ago. I asked tjctransport for help but he couldn’t find anything. I appreciate your help!

I've gone back 11 Months in the Odds & ends Section & a similar Timeframe in the "Deleted Content" Folder all to No avail..

Sorry mate, I've NFI where it ended up..

• Thanks 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

2 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Pretty slick trailer doesn’t look cheap

I still have more plans for the trailer.  Once wood gets reasonable again!  LOL!

They used the self-drilling deck screws.  Half of them are either way off-center of miss the crossmembers altogether.  Plus, there was no need to rip pieces to make them fit.  According to my measurements, full boards will fill it up with just the right gaps between them.

So, I plan to weld up all their holes, drill holes where they should be, like you gave a $#!^ where you put them, and use carriage bolts in from the top.  Already have the bevel washers to use underneath the locknuts.  Will make it a lot easier the NEXT time it needs re-floored!  Did this on the other (home-built) trailer I have.  Works much better, and looks a lot more professional.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

8 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Oh, and the thing I was most pleased with was the ramp holder thingy I built under the trailer.  It looks factory.  I get more comments on that piece than anything else.

Maybe you could start making trailer parts for people/custom bike trailers. Little side business.