Shop Talk

Onyx610

22 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i fondly remember trying to start off on a grade at 214,000 lbs in the B-815.

325 hp V8 and quad box.  you needed 3 feet and 4 hands to take off and shift to get going. 

when the trans finally died with the owners son driving it, they installed a spare that was in the shed with short sticks to keep crap out of the trans. 

the knobs were only 3 inches off the towers, so i was able to shift it one handed after convincing them to leave them in instead of putting the big sticks in.

since we were the only two that drove the truck, the mechanic agreed to leave the short sticks in it. 

that ALMOST made that truck a pleasure to drive.

Some of our trucks had the shifters cut down to various lengths and had the shanks heated and bent in various ways.  You really could do a lot to make them easier (or harder) to shift with the shape of the levers.

• Like 2

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

10 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Holy shit I expect with that situation you needed to use all the gears I have never heard of a B model with a V-8

They sold them V8 B models new here with a Mack V8 and with a 8V71 GM 

Both had the quad box, both had the big aluminium radiator and both looked the same 

But they both sounded very different 🤪

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Holy shit I expect with that situation you needed to use all the gears I have never heard of a B model with a V-8

yea buddy. needed all 20 gears, plus another 20 to go up good size hills.😁

actually it was not that bad due to the very low gearing. truck had a top speed of 42 MPH.   so i usually skip shifted on flats and only used full gear pattern on hills at low speed. 

when he sold that truck we replaced it with a 74 DM800 dump truck that tipped over and tweaked the frame when a hinge pin came out while dumping. 

we fixed it, but it would not dump straight so we pulled the box off and put a 75 ton fifth wheel on it.  237 with twin stick 5 speed. that one had a top speed of 54 MPH.

i ran that until i left in 95. the new company bought me an almost new  94 RD688with 400 and 13 speed. ran that one for ten years until a guy took it out in 05 and dead center sucker punched a 4 foot diameter oak tree and pushed the engine back 4 foot. 

we figured he was doing at least 50 in a 25 zone when he left the road. 

they replaced that one with a 2005 CV613 Granite with detuned 400 and 8ll. total piece of junk because they would not turn it up. i left them in 2010 when i saw the writing on the wall they were going down due to federal charges. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

19 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

So not to change the subject, but I was looking for this companies trucks that I have seen around all with two stroke Detroit’s. Since you guys were talking about those engines. I did happen to find this on their YouTube channel. It’s pretty interesting. Give it some time….

very cool video Onyx. 

thanks for posting it!  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You musta been pissing yourself driving that RD with all that power and gears…… and yes video was way cool thanks for sharing… a little long but I’ve got nothing but time for the next 3 weeks…. Bob

Edited by mowerman
Misspelled

it was a sweet ride compared to the 237. i put close to 750,000 miles on it in the 10 years i ran it. still ran good to when it got wrecked. only thing it needed in those 10 years was a water pump, 2 sets of brakes, and the trans was giving me issues. the new trans was in it for under 1000 miles when it got wrecked and split the trans case in half. also ruined the block on impact when it drove the water pump into #1 cylinder. 

1 hour ago, Onyx610 said:

So not to change the subject, but I was looking for this companies trucks that I have seen around all with two stroke Detroit’s. Since you guys were talking about those engines. I did happen to find this on their YouTube channel. It’s pretty interesting. Give it some time….

There's NO WAY anyone could ever say THANK YOU enough to people like those who had the interest in saving a valuable part of history not for the making of $$$$ , but in saving the past. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

They sold them V8 B models new here with a Mack V8 and with a 8V71 GM 

Both had the quad box, both had the big aluminium radiator and both looked the same 

But they both sounded very different 🤪

Paul

when you want to get away from the TV crap; as always Youtube has some fun stuff. punch in --- shifting a Mack quad. one is a B81 ;  of course some are good ; some aren't.  if  memory is correct ; a B815 has the V-8 .. 

Yes I was just checking out a GMC with a Jimmy on YouTube thanks for the tip I’ll check it out…. Oh by the way l Don’t know what a mini quad is I thought it was something with four big tires that mostly  kids ride haha 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, D-Day said:

Would this be what I have seen referred to as a baby quad it looks like a quad box and is it a step up from a triplex

IMG_20210204_131315770_HDR.jpg

I've been staring at that pattern for some time now. 1- can't recall ever seeing a 14 ;; 2= minus 5th lo which would give the 14, it states lo-lo NOT a splitter. 1st lo-lo only?? that would take out 3-4 more moves . how14?? like the 6 speed twin stick maxi  low for first only  was "made into a10 speed by many

2 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Yes I was just checking out a GMC with a Jimmy on YouTube thanks for the tip I’ll check it out…. Oh by the way l Don’t know what a mini quad is I thought it was something with four big tires that mostly  kids ride haha 

i have heard the term mini -quad used in yrs past.  at the farm i've been hanging out at; supposed to be getting a B81sx up and running there. out back with lots of other stuff is  a mack trans. i t's a small twin stick . tried to clean off data plate section for numbers  didn't come clean enough. complete trans with mounts. took some pictures a while back. can try and up load. back section  had a repair . will talk with owner and find out his plans before it's scrapped . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

I've been staring at that pattern for some time now. 1- can't recall ever seeing a 14 ;; 2= minus 5th lo which would give the 14, it states lo-lo NOT a splitter. 1st lo-lo only?? that would take out 3-4 more moves . how14?? like the 6 speed twin stick maxi  low for first only  was "made into a10 speed by many

I’ve got the rocker panel assembly for those if anybody buys it and needs it left side I’ve been meaning to put it up for sale on here just haven’t got around to it I bought it years ago for a project that I changed my mind on still have it in my garage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

i have heard the term mini -quad used in yrs past.  at the farm i've been hanging out at; supposed to be getting a B81sx up and running there. out back with lots of other stuff is  a mack trans. i t's a small twin stick . tried to clean off data plate section for numbers  didn't come clean enough. complete trans with mounts. took some pictures a while back. can try and up load. back section  had a repair . will talk with owner and find out his plans before it's scrapped . 

IMG_1346.JPG

1 hour ago, D-Day said:

It's in this D M 607 unfortunately the rest of the truck is in bad shape pretty much a parts donor

IMG_20210520_120148314_HDR.jpg

the DM800 along with it's "older brother " the B81  will always be a favorite . the steel nose 600 is a close "cousin" . the steel nose 600's back in the day have also been called other names when twisting upside down trying to remove items such as starters. LOL . that orange one must be up in age late 60's=early 70's being a 607 (sx)? 

• Haha 1