Shop Talk

Onyx610

13 minutes ago, Mark T said:

This is an old Mack transmission. The compound was like the one in the dash of that DM.  I didn't know what it was . I don't think Mack main boxes were backwards if they had an overgear. Just the compound I thought

i never saw a swapped gear on a mack trans. only on the eaton/fuller 13 over and 15 over trans. 

but then again i only ran the one quad, and the mack twin stick.

all other transmissions in the macks were eaton/fullers.

the weirdest trans we ever had was a straight 7 speed. and i moved a fiberglass nose autocar for a friend with a 6 speed split trans. 3 low, then 3 high. 

i also moved an 80 autocar with 290 cummins and 5 speed low/deep reduction. 

to get low you put into first or reverse, then moved the shifter to driver side and up or down depending what gear you were in. 

then for deep reduction, move shifter again up or down. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

4 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i never saw a swapped gear on a mack trans. only on the eaton/fuller 13 over and 15 over trans. 

but then again i only ran the one quad, and the mack twin stick.

all other transmissions in the macks were eaton/fullers.

the weirdest trans we ever had was a straight 7 speed. and i moved a fiberglass nose autocar for a friend with a 6 speed split trans. 3 low, then 3 high. 

i also moved an 80 autocar with 290 cummins and 5 speed low/deep reduction. 

to get low you put into first or reverse, then moved the shifter to driver side and up or down depending what gear you were in. 

then for deep reduction, move shifter again up or down. 

That one you pulled the shifter to you and pushed it ahead for low was some variation of a T95ALL  usually they came behind a Power Torque 270

7 minutes ago, Mark T said:

That one you pulled the shifter to you and pushed it ahead for low was some variation of a T95ALL  usually they came behind a Power Torque 270

A lame attempt at being a Mack with a 6 speed

After all this chatter I am going to have to go out and look at my Mac Manuel at least every transmission there was no I’m curious and yes I have also heard backwards shift patterns and was also told it meant overdrive I’ll let you know what I come up with

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

before i retire i am going to put this shift pattern in one of the manual trans trucks......

probably the 2000 W900 with the 18 speed.  😆

20 speed.jpg

now everyone raise their hand that just spent 10 minutes trying to follow this shift  pattern !!! YES  my hand is up also.  LOL 

• Like 1

heh not even sure about the the shift pattern that was in it,, plate was partially torn off by someone.so i took it off 26 years ago and straighten it out and its been sitting in a coffee can all this time buried but i know for sure the new trans is a 5and 4....bob

we were saying at my place we should test drive all these new hires on a 2 stick,,,maybe we would wind up with some pretty good hands instead of spoiled kids,,,after all most of us had to start on them,,but then im sure they would all fail the road test lol.bob

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Well I  dont have any hand guns as such, pistols and the like 

I have rifles and shot guns, nothing flash and shiny like you blokes 

Was working with a Yank from Arizona that now lives in Australia a few weeks ago 

I asked him about the different attitudes towards guns in Australia and America as he is a ex gun owners in the states and how he found our different attitude towards guns

He reckons he found it a bit unsettling at first but once he got used to our ways he reckons its okay and in a lot of ways better

We never talked much more about what makes it better or worse as we started talking about medical systems and that's a whole different conversation 

There was a fella on here from years ago I  used to Skype regularly with from the New England area and we would talk about everything and share gun stories and the like

Dunno if people even use Skype these days we changed to messenger some years ago

Paul

I used to talk to Old Bill from Canada on Skype every weekend. Haven't been on it for a long time now. Last 2 times I tried to call Old Bill I got no response, so I don't know if he's still with us or not. I called randyp from Texas a few times too with no response either.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

And an odd one...

1328830863_backwardquad-corrected.thumb.jpg.1b218c77e855af37057aca101b4f5ba6.jpg

add another 5 speed box to that, and you will have the trans in the 59 autocar with 16V71 detroit i ran to move a cracking tower 5 miles back in 87. 5 speed under drive,  5 speed main, and 5 speed overdrive. it had a top speed of around 35 MPH. 

it also had 100 ton planitary axles under it with 14-24 tires on it. 

the cheveron refinery was being closed and dismanteled, and they needed a cracking tower in louisiana. 

so they loaded it on a large 40 axle trailer and i hooked to it and drug it across town to a waterfront where A.J.Ross had a yard with a crane large enough to lift it off the trailer and onto a barge. took two days to make the move because halfway there someone missed on the route and a railroad crossing had crap in it and blew out 20 tires. 

the move was supposed to take around 15 hours at 1/2 mile per hour. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

39 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

add another 5 speed box to that, and you will have the trans in the 59 autocar with 16V71 detroit i ran to move a cracking tower 5 miles back in 87. 5 speed under drive,  5 speed main, and 5 speed overdrive. it had a top speed of around 35 MPH. 

it also had 100 ton planitary axles under it with 14-24 tires on it. 

the cheveron refinery was being closed and dismanteled, and they needed a cracking tower in louisiana. 

so they loaded it on a large 40 axle trailer and i hooked to it and drug it across town to a waterfront where A.J.Ross had a yard with a crane large enough to lift it off the trailer and onto a barge. took two days to make the move because halfway there someone missed on the route and a railroad crossing had crap in it and blew out 20 tires. 

the move was supposed to take around 15 hours at 1/2 mile per hour. 

Nice!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

So heres a new one for me....  I just finished repairing a DPF in an '09 CXU..  I put a new Differential pressure switch on it... no sweat..  while I was finishing the installation , out of nowhere, the D.P.S. popped open....  it just separated itself..  .. I tried to load a picture but for some reason it wont load..   has this happened to anyone?  it's my first..  out of dozens of these repairs...  jojo

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

So heres a new one for me....  I just finished repairing a DPF in an '09 CXU..  I put a new Differential pressure switch on it... no sweat..  while I was finishing the installation , out of nowhere, the D.P.S. popped open....  it just separated itself..  .. I tried to load a picture but for some reason it wont load..   has this happened to anyone?  it's my first..  out of dozens of these repairs...  jojo

No, but I’d like to see it