Shop Talk

Onyx610

I remember on some vehicles you could have somebody step on the clutch while you were under there trying to line up the spline I believe all GMC‘s that’s what I was mostly working on as a young guy mostly Chevrolet clutches  But then sometimes the pressure plate fingers would be pressing against the throwout bearing and he would be defeating the purpose ha ha

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Oh my... Dave..  I get it..  heck of an effort on your part,  my wife can destroy an anvil..  I know if I need something load tested for strength,  just give it to my wife,  If she cant destroy it,,  Its good to go..  jojo

If I need something load tested, I just get my wife to sit on it!

There is more to that Celebrity's (#35) story, but I'll save that for another time.  After about 30 minutes of prying, bending and pounding, the passenger side doors worked again, even though they looked like crap.  The wife drove it like that for about three years.  More later.

• Haha 2

That’s some bullshit Dave nice looking Car though  once you’ve got it done I think most of us go through phases I remember about 10 years ago it seemed like everything I went to use around here it was something wrong with it and I had to mess with it before I could use it also my ex-wife was a shitty driver anything I gave her she would have it all beat to hell and no time

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2022 at 5:13 PM, GA_Dave said:

Reading RowdyRebel's misfortune with his mowers (dadgum mower...) reminds me of another story of repeated frustration.  This happened back in August of 2001.  The previous year, my Mother-in-Law called me, asking if I wanted her 1988 Chevy Celebrity that she had just replaced.  Being a Western NY car, it had few miles  and ran well, but was a rust bucket.  It was mine for the taking.  I found a one way flight for $67 to Buffalo and my Sister-in-Law picked me up.  It easily made the trip back to Atlanta and became the wife's ride (#33).  The following June, we drove it back to WNY to visit family.  On the way home, the left front corner began to sag.  A quick look revealed that the badly rusted frame was collapsing.  The last 30 miles of the trip, every bump resulted in the tire hitting the bottom of the wheel well.  That was the last time it was driven on the road.  It still had only 72k on the drive train.  
   By August, I had purchased another 1988 Celebrity (#35) that had a blown engine.  It was a rust-free southern car and cost me $250.  There was one difference between the two cars.  The first was a 4-banger, the second a V-6.  It would turn out to be a much bigger difference than I had thought.  As I got into the job, I came to realize that I had I should have looked before I leapt!  
   I pulled the good engine/transmission out first and set them aside.  As I was removing the bad engine and transmission, I began to see how different the two cars were.  The job took me almost two weeks to complete, having to change the entire wiring harness and computer, AC system, exhaust system, and cooling system, along with cutting off and relocating/welding the motor mounts.  Add to that, it was August in Georgia.  It was so hot that I'd lay a wrench down for a few seconds and leave skin on it when I picked it up!
   Once I had gotten everything put back together, I had to take it to have the AC recharged.  Thanks to the clowns at EPA, I had to have it converted to R134, an additional expense I had not budgeted for.  Once done, I drove it for a few days to make sure everything was okay before turning it over to the wife.  
   Her first day with it, she jumped a curb and sideswiped a large landscaping rock, smashing in both passenger side doors....

35 - 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport.jpg

That looks just like the one I had, the clear coat was even coming off the hood. It was a 4 cylinder too. It was a good little car, I paid $800 for it. Then when my wife got sick and was diagnosed with cancer I got her a newer car and gave the Celebrity to my son. He ran it hot and thought the engine was ruined so he parked it and got something else. Then my brother in law got it and put a head gasket on it, I don't know if he had to put a new head on it or not, but I don't think he did. Anyhow, he fixed it, then painted it, and his daughter drove it after that. Pretty well spent 800 bucks.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 4/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, Joey Mack said:

Oh my... Dave..  I get it..  heck of an effort on your part,  my wife can destroy an anvil with a banana. I know if I need something load tested for strength,  just give it to my wife,  If she cant destroy it,,  Its good to go..  jojo

Best you stay on her good side then!

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joey I forgot to mention I could’ve used you last Wednesday I blew a tire 30 miles from the truckstop they had me rolling  2 1/2 Hours Road call I was thinking you probably could’ve beat that not sure if you do tires you probably don’t but I thought I would boost her spirits anyway and tell the world you’re probably could’ve done better ha ha I know you could’ve beat the price on a tire it was over $700… geeeeeeeeeeesus!!!!!!!!! Good thing I wasn’t paying for it it was just for the tire alone… bob

• Haha 1

I was kind of surprised it was up outside tire and I asked the kids if you wanted me to drive up on a block so we could just spoon the tire off right on the truck and he told me he didn’t even have a block for me to drive onto I don’t know maybe that’s their company rules these days for lots of years that used to save a lot of time he also had a camera on his service truck that pointed right at the job to make sure he does everything right I thought that was rather unusual but not so much these days … bob

• Sad 1

Yeah, too many safety rules...  Glad you got it done,, No i dont do tires anymore.. hell with my bad lower back,  I couldnt handle it..  :) jojo

• Like 2

I’ll tell you what my brother tire service is ridiculous out here it’s generally   A four delay And broad daylight short of help everybody is short of help Salt Lake City to Reno  tire services are  very short supply and then if you blow a tire at night you’re going to layover somewhere guaranteed… bob

Been there done that Onyx....  I can do tires.  but I cant afford tire inventory and dealing with the price changes, they are just like fuel prices,,,  a roller coaster..  jojo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Yeah, too many safety rules...  Glad you got it done,, No i dont do tires anymore.. hell with my bad lower back,  I couldnt handle it..  :) jojo

i had 2 herniated discs removed 11 years ago havent had a problem since,but before that i couldnt even stand up more than a couple minutes....bob

Spoons, you say?  I never used any of them fancy, high-dollar tools!  Granted, I didn't mess with big tires like you guys, but I used to remove and install tires with a bumper jack and two tire irons.

• Like 2

If I had a 'Golden tool'  I would end up using it..  I already have 3 spoons, and can get it done,  but,  my back wont let me..  any way,  it's all good..  jojo

But Dave I am not sure you measure up ha ha all fun my brother yes it’s kind of fun to change car tires by hand as I mentioned I have done it… I am also a master at changing car tires with a old fashion machine are used to be able to run one of those like changing my socks a few years back I’m sure I could still do it if I had the chance

I have an M-5000 moffet mounty forklift... I use it to break beads on tires for my trucks. I put the wheel on a sheet of steel, and make it happen..  then i use my tire spoons to break it apart, and put a tire back on..  but this is done in my yard...  not on the road :)  jojo