Shop Talk

Onyx610

On 3/31/2022 at 2:31 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Thus sayeth The Weasel...

987458431_4plates.thumb.jpg.207e77087d41aac15282681162a7352b.jpg

guess it's another sign of memory fade, never noticed 15/18's main on the right==10/20's main on the left. at one time :WAY back I could do 3rd high to 4th low with one hand . levers close enough to spread fingers move both levers same time on the duplex. 

Onyx,  it just seperated,,, no pressure on it or anything else...  I have a new one coming,  now to explain to my customer that MackVo may not warranty it..  I only had for 2 hours before I installed it..  $130.00 part...  oh well,,,   jojo

On 3/31/2022 at 2:35 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

More Quad stuff, since somebody brought it up.

Most of my experience was with the "720" series (overdrive 5th).

1856388186_quadbrochure1.jpg.c749d87d3e66437be24656acea0e0621.jpg790696618_quadbrochure2.jpg.5f6bc2c078dddd4edac881059834ed97.jpg1556773403_quadbrochure3.jpg.8724414414de7e0044e67079149ec8e2.jpg

can remember the trans with external compound shift rails. might have been big and heavy, but easier to set on a proper jack for removal. except for one occasion pulling a quad from dm611sx using a borrowed car jack,NOT my idea: top plate maybe 8-10 in square and it was old ratchet style. outside on a piece of plywood that cracked as we moved it. maxi torques came along had to make adapter plates for the transmission jacks to cradle the top heavy tri shafts.

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Onyx,  it just seperated,,, no pressure on it or anything else...  I have a new one coming,  now to explain to my customer that MackVo may not warranty it..  I only had for 2 hours before I installed it..  $130.00 part...  oh well,,,   jojo

Quality goes down price goes up. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

can remember the trans with external compound shift rails. might have been big and heavy, but easier to set on a proper jack for removal. except for one occasion pulling a quad from dm611sx using a borrowed car jack,NOT my idea: top plate maybe 8-10 in square and it was old ratchet style. outside on a piece of plywood that cracked as we moved it. maxi torques came along had to make adapter plates for the transmission jacks to cradle the top heavy tri shafts.

most of us these days are using converted motorcycle lifts...i pulled the trans and transfer case out of a 1970 chevy pickup one time years ago myself no help with a car jack,,,very risky haha,,,i wouldnt have the balls for that now...lol.bob

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 2:31 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

And an odd one...

1328830863_backwardquad-corrected.thumb.jpg.1b218c77e855af37057aca101b4f5ba6.jpg

Thanks for all the transmission info everyone it's amazing all of the knowledge that is out there and this is the best place to tap in

• Like 2

damn dave thank god your still here,,that was horrible.....all i got is pulled an automatic transmission out of a 55 belair at 18,,outside and it was 16 degrees ,no problems but no i would not do it now...lol.bob

• Thanks 1

other than that my poor mom,would have had kittens if she knew how dangerous my job was working in a truck tire shop for a while at 17,doing mostly split rim tube type tires ,,and mechohaulic,,,as far vas getting dissy i swear im getting dumber by the minute between covid and age and being out of work past month and a half...geeeeeeeeeeeesus,,,,feels like at this point ill be braindead in no time...bob

• Like 1