Shop Talk

Onyx610

21 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

possibly but he states it's in the DM 607 he posted a picture of. a DM607 wouldn't be gas ??   711 or 673 non-turbo . green interior from picture. i'm thinking early DM. not saying trans wasn't changed ;; who would change dash shift  pattern. 

I remember once seeing an early DM  It didn't have any dash pattern. It had a 673 and what as best I could tell was a quadraplex. I remember the compound was backwards if you tried to drive it ???  It looked about the size of something from a pickup truck , now I'm wondering if that's what it was .  

Once you get to learn them they arnt to bad and easy to fix. Usually “common issues” only problem with them is you damn near have to take the cab off to do anything. 

• Like 1

I do recall dash shift patterns that had two spots backwards. never paid that much attention as to why. i wasn't in to numbers that much(TRQ/TRD etc ) then . main motto was ;; if it's broke fix it . once had a customer that missed a shift on a hill ::mack F-600 with duplex. shattered the back half. he "acquired "another 10 speed from a competitor down the road. using a backhoe i pulled the trans, swapped parts to make a good one . installed alone;; any idea of trips from backhoe to truck lining up the trans . point is there was a big difference in front/ rear half ratio afterwards. he complained , i said then don't steal the next one buy the right parts! LOL

28 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I remember once seeing an early DM  It didn't have any dash pattern. It had a 673 and what as best I could tell was a quadraplex. I remember the compound was backwards if you tried to drive it ???  It looked about the size of something from a pickup truck , now I'm wondering if that's what it was .  

IMG_1353.JPG

Just now, mechohaulic said:

IMG_1347.thumb.JPG.dd98128d220ff1cb0265a5d4c5d47b87.JPG

can't read side stamped numbers  . will try and acquire it if some one can use it. it's in CT. if i can get it for zero ; that's what i'll ask for it. hate to see it sit and rust away or worse ;;; scrapped 

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

IMG_1347.thumb.JPG.dd98128d220ff1cb0265a5d4c5d47b87.JPG

I think that's it.  I had no idea what it was (lol) I'd have sworn it had a position where lo split would have been .  It was a weird truck.  had big cast housings with little bitty axles and some odd rear springs

You know to tell you the truth I haven’t driven the truck on the road for 27 years and now I’m not even sure about what transmission I got but it’s junk slips out of fifth main box and I’m putting the  quad box in it that I bought and yes it’s a turbo end673t. Bob

51 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

I do recall dash shift patterns that had two spots backwards. never paid that much attention as to why. 

when you see an old trans where 4 and 5 are swapped, that is a tell tale of an overdrive trans. as in 13 over or 15 over. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

now this post has my curiosity going . weather in ct gets above 40 i'll take a ride to farm ;; try for side numbers ; and see if i can save it from scrap yard. hopefully i can get it. might bring it home and take it apart  to remember the good ole days.. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

TJC,, here is 'Old Blue'   When he was born in '77, he was a C-20..  I had him since 2006...  He had a 350 eng. 350 tranny..  a few years ago I aquired a '78 C-30....  so me and my best employee, took the trucks apart.....  so now 'Old Blue' is a C-30,  I put pedals in it and now it is a 350 with a Granny gear 4 spd..   I run this truck almost every day...  It smells like like a beat up push mower when it runs,  but I wouldnt trade it for a new one.. my wife say's I love it more than i do her...   Hmmm...?          p.s.  Charlie just layed down to be in the picture,  what a HAM... jojo

KIMG1001.JPG

i had an old 66 dodge W300 powerwagon. slant 6 with a 4 speed. 

when the 6 went at around 600,000 miles, i put a 273 275 HP out of a 64 bananacuda in it. ran it for another 200,000 miles befor the cab rotted off it. 

cab was held to the frame by 1/4 inch steel plates. 

the rocker panels were gone, so you got wetter inside when driving it in the rain than standing outside. 

still loved the truck and was getting ready to rebuild the cab for the third time when the driver front inner wheel bearing went and tore up the spindle. and Dana 80 front spindles were impossible to find back then. so i parted it out. 

i replaced it in 88 with a FSuperDuty diesel, and converted it to 4 wheel drive with a pickup bed. 

i still have the 88, it has 496,000 miles on it and waiting for the new cab to be put on it. 

• Like 1

nice,,,  I actually put a 'cammed up' 400 in it a few years ago..  I could put on one hell of a show,,,,  but.... I couldnt 'work him' like i used too..  I would go to get supplies and I either had to drive through the parking lot at 3000 rpm in the granny gear, or work the clutch in 1st,,,,,,  just to find a parking spot...   what the hell was I thinking???  i tell you what,,, I was the 'Sh!t' in 2nd gear on any city street, just sayin....  so I pulled it and put the worn out 350 back in..  I need to re-build the 400 with a towing cam, and mabey even put the rebuilt 2bbl back on it...  :)   jojo

• Like 2

we picked up a 78 C30 at auction around 1990 with "fresh rebuilt 350 and new clutch" 

on the windshield. under it was bad vibration in engine. 

paid $50 because no one else wanted it. 

pulled the engine, and sold the rest for $250. pulled the flywheel off after determining it was a 400 and put a 400 flexplate on it, bolted a turbo 350 to it, and stuffed it into an old woods crasher rig we had built back in winter of 74 on the farm.

and proceeded to get into all kinds of trouble over the next few years. 

the woods crasher was a 62 ford wagon frame with body removed, frame shortened 5 foot, and welded back together with full roll cage..... and welded spiders in the 9 inch.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

when you see an old trans where 4 and 5 are swapped, that is a tell tale of an overdrive trans. as in 13 over or 15 over. 

This is an old Mack transmission. The compound was like the one in the dash of that DM.  I didn't know what it was . I don't think Mack main boxes were backwards if they had an overgear. Just the compound I thought

• Like 1