Shop Talk

Onyx610

11 hours ago, mowerman said:

other than that my poor mom,would have had kittens if she knew how dangerous my job was working in a truck tire shop for a while at 17,doing mostly split rim tube type tires ,,and mechohaulic,,,as far vas getting dissy i swear im getting dumber by the minute between covid and age and being out of work past month and a half...geeeeeeeeeeeesus,,,,feels like at this point ill be braindead in no time...bob

"braindead in no time")??? your not going to run for pres  of USA  now that you feel qualified are you???LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Brocky said:

Sometimes when I look back, I wonder how I lived to 18 to become a man?? The life of a farm kid was rough at times!!!

rough farm life for a kid is an under statement. being 3rd generation trying to keep grandparents farm going i heard unbelievable stories of life on the farm. in the day anyone could go to the hardware store and buy dynamite (try todays world).one uncle lost 2-3 finger tips from blast that went wrong. dynomite was used to clear the fields of rocks/stumps. dairy cows didn't take a day off either..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mowerman said:

damn dave thank god your still here,,that was horrible.....all i got is pulled an automatic transmission out of a 55 belair at 18,,outside and it was 16 degrees ,no problems but no i would not do it now...lol.bob

It really wasn't all that bad, just a black eye and a headache for a few days.  I took it as a learning experience.  I haven't dropped a torque converter on my face since!  I've lost count of how many transmissions I have replaced since then.  Engines too.  About the only thing I will not tackle is going inside an automatic transmission, other than to change out the filter.  Once one ventures beyond that point, there are too many pieces for me. 

9 hours ago, mowerman said:

Amen  but if give anything to go back and start over…… would certainly change a few things… bob

I wouldn't change a thing.  For each one of us, our origins, our experiences, and the challenges we face all lead to the people we become.  I, for one, am satisfied with my result.

• Like 1

I was the same way with automatic transmission I had a 62 Ford with a bad one I got a manual from chief  auto parts and dug into it made one mistake had to redo rear section lotta fun when you figured them out go for it ….also do remember GM 3 bolt torque converter and I bet you do as well…. Bob

15 hours ago, GA_Dave said:

I wouldn't change a thing.  For each one of us, our origins, our experiences, and the challenges we face all lead to the people we become.  I, for one, am satisfied with my result.

changes would depend on whether we got a glimpse of option #2 on life.i'd change a couple of things for the "better"not for  financial gain or materialistic stuff.

• Like 1

if i knew then what i know now, i would have made a few investments and done money a little different. 

like bought into amazon and microsoft. just imagine what a $100 investment into each of those companies when in their infancy would be worth now. 

and i would not have left any money in the teamsters annuity fund either. that mistake alone cost me over $300,000 in "disappeared" money.

but oh well, live and learn.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Oh Hell, TJC..  You make good point's..  I would only change a few of my actions,,..  anyway,  its a deep subject for me so I will stop here...  jojo

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, mechohaulic said:

changes would depend on whether we got a glimpse of option #2 on life.i'd change a couple of things for the "better"not for  financial gain or materialistic stuff.

Ya just would have taken out a couple of unnecessary twists and turns that would have put me a little easier work shift for a number of years and a little healthier retirement plan when I left Massachusetts I was heading to San Diego I stopped by Long Beach and met a chick never made it all the way down this time I would have blown rite by Long Beach and continue to San Diego and went to work for the same company I’m with now … of course winning the lottery early on  would have solved everything . Lol

• Haha 1

I think the one thing I did wrong was in 1964, after receiving my 2 year tech school degree, was letting myself get talked into going on for a teachers degree rather than enlisting in the Navy.. Never taught full time as I found out I could NOT handle kids!!!

• Like 1

Brocky

21 minutes ago, Brocky said:

I think the one thing I did wrong was in 1964, after receiving my 2 year tech school degree, was letting myself get talked into going on for a teachers degree rather than enlisting in the Navy.. Never taught full time as I found out I could NOT handle kids!!!

i am great with kids......as long as they don't bother me and do as they are told.

other wise, some little brat is gonna be hurting when they try sittin down.. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

45 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i am great with kids......as long as they don't bother me and do as they are told.

other wise, some little brat is gonna be hurting when they try sittin down.. 

I KNOW!!!  But school administration DID NOT!!!

Brocky

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I regret not staying in the Army..  but as we know, hindsight is 20/20... jojo

Me too Joey, could have retired at 38,  I was a E-5 with only  two and a half years in, my last year in Viet Nam, so I was eager to get out! Terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D-Day said:

Picture for Onyx still have not made any video maybe someday finally got a pic of one of the yarders I use here to load doesn't always work for some reason maybe when it dries out I can get it set up again and try video

IMG_20220407_120918361_HDR.jpg

Badass! I love it. Thanks for the picture, hopefully I get some cool pictures here soon. 

• Like 1

I was trying to find a top rotator for an E-Tech head..  Mack was not able to find one for me, kept going to the bottom rotator set-up for some reason...  I found a part number....  722GC226...  I need 2 of these, but didnt want to buy from E-Bay until I know this is the right part..  I cant post any pics because i have met my quota and am not able to clean the folder,,, sorry,,, jojo

On 4/3/2022 at 12:54 PM, mowerman said:

I was the same way with automatic transmission I had a 62 Ford with a bad one I got a manual from chief  auto parts and dug into it made one mistake had to redo rear section lotta fun when you figured them out go for it ….also do remember GM 3 bolt torque converter and I bet you do as well…. Bob

I had a 72 Nova when I was a teenager, pretty good little hotrod, it had a warmed up 350 in it and a 4 speed. It came with a 3 speed, but I put the 4 speed in it. 

I used to tear either the clutch or the rear end out on a regular basis. I ended up putting a stronger rear in it, but whenever I put a clutch in it I'd go to the parts store and get another rebuilt clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. I think all that only cost about $50 at the time. 

Anyway, I put so many clutches in it I could do it by myself, laying in the driveway, in a few hours. One time I was putting a clutch in it at the local pool hall we used to hang out at, and another guy was going to give me a hand. We were both under the car trying to get the splines lined up when I told him "let's take a break for a minute". When I said "break" that's all he needed to hear, he didn't help set the transmission down, he just let go of it. 

I still have the scar on my forehead where it hit me.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.