Shop Talk

Onyx610

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's first time for me...  I have done dozens of these and at times had to use a sledge hammer and a helper to remove the yoke..   But, never has this happened.. I had it in my Harbor Freight 20ton press, with pressure on it and i was heating the yoke with my torch..  and when the tone ring was able to spin I gave it 2 more pump's,  and WHAM!!!  I cant wait to tell my customer...   :(   jojo

KIMG1076.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

honestly, it is now easier for me,, I can just take my torch and cut it apart,  and start fresh..  I will have to cut the yoke of, unless I can get a main shaft and yoke for a good price..  .. Heck I never have bought a complete back box before..  can that be done?  I have always just re-built them.. 

21 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Well here's first time for me...  I have done dozens of these and at times had to use a sledge hammer and a helper to remove the yoke..   But, never has this happened.. I had it in my Harbor Freight 20ton press, with pressure on it and i was heating the yoke with my torch..  and when the tone ring was able to spin I gave it 2 more pump's,  and WHAM!!!  I cant wait to tell my customer...   :(   jojo

KIMG1076.JPG

Just Permatex it back together, it'll hold!  :)

• Like 1

well the gears are good, the back box cover is junk.  i will have to cut the yoke off, but i need to check the price of the yoke and main shaft, before I use $50.00 worth of oxy. acetolene..  I will also be looking into a complete back box as a unit..  that will be more cost effective at this point,  of course with todays crazy pricing, I may need to just replace the whole tranny...  It used to be a lot easier to determine repair costs on Eaton tranny's..  I'll let you know..     :) Jojo

Well nice think about it there’s always lots of them around good luck Joey again sorry to hear that I’m sure you’re really didn’t need that extra bullshit For a minor repair heat and puller you couldn’t of done anything any different Don’t beat yourself to death get her done and move on

And 10 four on the crazy prices I was just in Home Depot Friday night 2 two by fours 8 foot real shitty would I might  mention How to keep digging in the pile to find good ones one package of sandpaper and one bag of lawn  fertilizer 90 bucks whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????? While ago, I could’ve got out of there for around 60 for the same things

Edited by mowerman

I am in the middle of redoing our kitchen cabinets which were put in a 1985 there a beat the hell are full of grease I got a quote of $4000 to redo them I see why it’s a real ball buster especially trying to scrub off the grease a lot of work but it’s kind of a fun challenge like bodywork I’ll be looking forward to the finished product But thank God they’re not all full of grease only area over the stove the rest of it should be just  easy sanding … bob

thanks Bob,,  I'm just fine...  Not even mad at me,  I have done dozens of these.  there was obviously a weak spot that decided to show up yesterday..   My customer can afford a tranny, so I will do my best to fix this as good as I can with some reused parts..  I got this....  Jojo

• Like 2

yes sir,, and now my customer has taken control of the parts list and said he bought all the the parts for $525.00...  from Freightliner... I asked him if it included, the high range hub that is chewed up/ the low range hub that is chewed up/ the snap rings to secure the hubs/ the snap rings for the range fork shift rail/ the output seal kit/ the full round yoke that I have to cut of/ the yoke nut/ the orings to re-seal the range shuttle valve as well as re- sealing the range shift cylinder... ?? oh yeah and the $200.00 back case cover.. ...  

• Like 1

So I am currently building an ASET-C...  I couldnt get all of the parts from Mack.  Engine kit is PAI/ cam and lifters are PAI/  because of nat';l back order..  no sh!t?? Plate type oil cooler is not available/ ours is at a shop getting pressure tested and cleaned.. heads,,, 1 reman from Mack and 1 from DEX..( God Bless DEX)..  I tried to find exhaust studs and nuts on-line... no luck for some reason... so,, back to Mack...  $675.00 for 12 studs and 12 nuts..   are you F'n kidding me.?  There is more but I really don't have the blood pressure to write it out..  B.T.W.  a reman engine from MACK, is 6-8 months out or you can pull your engine and send it to them....  still 6+ months out..   It is hard work to build a quality engine, without all the B.S.,..  Now,,   W.T.F.??  and I still have another E-Tech and an E-7 Mechanical to build...  anyway,,  It never used to be this hard to do good work...  is there anybody out there getting it done without these issues????  :) jojo

so glad i'm out of it . many years back i opened a sealed box of pistons ::mack parts from mack  ==one piston head was missing . no signs of it ever being put in box from factory. point is back then such a screw up was considered very very rare. reading your situation and others  -- so glad i retired .  675  for 12 studs ; could have done a rebuild complete for that back then

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

yes sir,,  I bet the parts will be around $15,000.00, and  my labor will be around $4500.00.. plus the other do-dads, like getting the radiator and CAC flushed and tested,...  it may sound like a deal, but it used to be a lot cheaper, for good quality parts.. and we didnt have to hunt 6+ places to get the parts we need. and "National Back Order" is the new, normal..  so we are forced to use aftermarket parts that may be crap...  but the truck needs to roll and make money..  I dont know how much longer I can do this work..  Little guys like me are being destroyed in the B.S. ...  I just learned today that a 30# cylinder of R-134 is $440.00...  6 weeks ago it was $330.00,  last year I paid $140.00..  Just another example of what kill's little guys like me,..  because i am small,,, truck owners think I'm a discount mechanic, and they wont pay "Shop supplies" and materials, without a fuss..  anyway,,, it's tough, at times..  jojo

guess it's another reason people rent don't buy in todays world. i had a can of R-12  yrs back after 12 was called " environmentally not good", the price sky rocketed - no where near the prices you mentioned for 134. such a sad world . 

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

yes sir,,  I bet the parts will be around $15,000.00, and  my labor will be around $4500.00.. plus the other do-dads, like getting the radiator and CAC flushed and tested,...  it may sound like a deal, but it used to be a lot cheaper, for good quality parts.. and we didnt have to hunt 6+ places to get the parts we need. and "National Back Order" is the new, normal..  so we are forced to use aftermarket parts that may be crap...  but the truck needs to roll and make money..  I dont know how much longer I can do this work..  Little guys like me are being destroyed in the B.S. ...  I just learned today that a 30# cylinder of R-134 is $440.00...  6 weeks ago it was $330.00,  last year I paid $140.00..  Just another example of what kill's little guys like me,..  because i am small,,, truck owners think I'm a discount mechanic, and they wont pay "Shop supplies" and materials, without a fuss..  anyway,,, it's tough, at times..  jojo

I feel your pain.  I need to do a brake job on the Challenger.  I bought two front rotors and pads for both axles - $350!!!  Last time I did brakes on it, pads and all 4 rotors were under $150!