Shop Talk

Onyx610

Onyx,  you can pull the input shaft out, then slide the sliding clutch out.  look at the clutching teeth in the 5th/8th speed gear, if they are not chipped up real bad or rounded off, you slide a new sliding clutch back in, check the teeth on the input gear as well, it too is replaceable.. no it is not a perfect repair, but it is a doable one..  no special tools, just patience, and snap ring plyers, no need to pull the bell housing, just be patient sneaking the bearing cover out of it tight spot :) make sure you look for an oring that seals the oil slinger, there should be a spiral slinger machined into the input shaft..  jojo

• Like 2

That was last summer. Just put a new trans in it after talking to the service manager. I was wanting to fix it but I guess he made it sound like a job. That gear would have needed replaced too because it was all grounded down. After stealing the input shaft out of the core for an alignment tool to have I saw how easy it started to come apart. Maybe next time haha. 

• Like 2

Input shaft and front cover are common things to replace, and are pretty easy. Eaton has that clutch kit comes in a thing like a brief case with all that in there.   A reman 8LL  gotta be around $6500.00 now I'd guess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark T said:

Input shaft and front cover are common things to replace, and are pretty easy. Eaton has that clutch kit comes in a thing like a brief case with all that in there.   A reman 8LL  gotta be around $6500.00 now I'd guess. 

Good to know for next time. They are 4k from Mack. Which ours was built by camerota truck parts. 

Edited by Onyx610

I forgot to add this, the main bearing box is packaged very well, but they are not in order..  so just be sure to look at the tabs and galleries on the #7 and #4 bearings.  you cant put them in wrong, but just make sure you match them up.. I know mack sets are in order, and of course you check them as well, and Mack part numbers match, but PAI uses different numbers..   once again, not complaining, just giving some info to those that may not be familiar..   jojo

• Like 1

I dont know how to reduce the MB's in order to post..  and , by the way,  I would build one with you for free,   well, mabey for some free beer and chit-chat...  jojo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well here's some Shop Talk...   at 6PM today,  there was a drive by shooting at the drug house that is across the street from me..  We are safe and no good neighbors were shot..  There was about 10 shells in the street..  8 cop cars came after I called..  When they got here I was out there with my AK,  and was asked to stand down, so I complied..  I happen to have (9) ,,, 24/7 cameras with large hard drives running..  They took the video of the shooting..  I cant post it, for a couple reasons,  but anyway,  this would definately be some beer drinkin' shop talk, FOR SURE....  Im sleeping on the couch tonight with my M&P 9...   In case you are guessing what they looked like....   They were in a black Dodge Charger, shooting at a Black Cadillac...  Any Guess's???    Both cars left in a hurry..   Last night there were 5 shooting's in my town in 8 hours...  I checked out my shop, and there were no holes in it or my customers Freightliner that is here..  Good Deal..   Now can someone post a happy 'shop talk' story... :) jojo

• Haha 1

the video is 30 seconds and there is no real detail..  you can see the shooter roll the right front window down and get out and shoot 3-4 more rounds.  But I think the other car shot at them first..  thats not on my camera,,,, wait.... maybe my shop cameras caught that...  My wife already said that "I dont need to be out patrolling the yard tonight, just go to bed!"  Yeah, right...  

• Haha 1