Why do the DM series have the strange cabs?

well i own one,,,,DM600and im not really sure,,,,but i watched a video a while ago and it explained only reason for it was leg room,,,,but it still doesnt explain what about the 800 series,,,,but i heard years ago....it was just for visibility ,backing in ....:idunno:...bob

same with the "U" model.

made for city work where things got real tight real fast. 

first time i got into a "R" model i swore i was going to crash as i approached a toll booth. 

you don't realize how big that 12 inch or so offset is until you approach a tight space.

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

first time i got into a "R" model i swore i was going to crash as i approached a toll booth. 

you don't realize how big that 12 inch or so offset is until you approach a tight space.

Been there done that!! U model one night then an R model the next. l'd just close my eyes and aim for what l thought was the middle of the booth's lane. LOL!    .....Hippy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. Hancock to the rescue. Offset cabs did give you a good line of sight down the drivers side. There was a predecessor to the U and DM back in the 40's or 50'sI forget the model' A huge Mack water truck sometimes makes the show circuits. FK maybe? It seems Mack out did them all by a long shot with the number of models

Edited by james j neiweem

1 hour ago, james j neiweem said:

Mr. Hancock to the rescue. Offset cabs did give you a good line of sight down the drivers side. There was a predecessor to the U and DM back in the 40's or 50'sI forget the model' A huge Mack water truck sometimes makes the show circuits. FK maybe? It seems Mack out did them all by a long shot with the number of models

FCSW 1936 to 1947. There is a water tanker and a dump body that come to Macungie both have the pre L cabs

fcsw_lcab_1.jpg.88275d6944a4708d9cdaf7b2e8055c85.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

LM had the off set.   arute had one

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mowerman said:

well i own one,,,,DM600and im not really sure,,,,but i watched a video a while ago and it explained only reason for it was leg room,,,,but it still doesnt explain what about the 800 series,,,,but i heard years ago....it was just for visibility ,backing in ....:idunno:...bob

The 800 series gave  a person the opportunity  of higher horsepower for a heavy haul mover.  imagine working on a 600 with a 864 /866 V8 or large cummins or cat.  and besides  what a beautiful majestic looking truck :DM800  LOL. 

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

FCSW 1936 to 1947. There is a water tanker and a dump body that come to Macungie both have the pre L cabs

fcsw_lcab_1.jpg.88275d6944a4708d9cdaf7b2e8055c85.jpg

the FCSW could be cause for debate as an off-set.  the cab isn't  flush with the body, has driverside fender wider then cab, bulldog on radiator cap some what centered with front windshield center line.  hood design makes off set appear greater. drove both DM600 and 800 dumps basically you are on the body line.   yes /no the FCSW  was an off set relative :bmod_dump::bmod_dump:

null

50 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

The 800 series gave  a person the opportunity  of higher horsepower for a heavy haul mover.  imagine working on a 600 with a 864 /866 V8 or large cummins or cat.  and besides  what a beautiful majestic looking truck :DM800  LOL. 

DM600

http://687255f1deb7245aadb0a6986ad7e1-vi.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

longer trailers...shorter tractors the DMs dumps were able to get more weight on front axle I have 4- DM-600s good frames this my newest addition  20-20-58-k 285-hp 6-speed 20" brakes.....  I wish I can find more that are in good shape especially when milling .....some times a little over loaded by 5-6 ton's ? 93368528_10219675500215238_1349468274747768832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=nrnHuB9r-CsAX8Y_2_s&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=b1d6022cc01939707f14f02f17394db4&oe=5EC0BC73

• Like 2

Ed

30 minutes ago, bulldogboy said:

So, what model is this, RM? Thanks.

That is an RD model even though the emblem says R600.  It was available with the familiar fiberglass tilt hood or the optional steel butterfly hood.  The RD model was introduced by Mack in 1970.

The RD was built with heavy duty components for severe service.  That would be a good chassis for the weight of a fire truck tanker.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.