Jump to content

Why do the DM series have the strange cabs?


Recommended Posts

well i own one,,,,DM600and im not really sure,,,,but i watched a video a while ago and it explained only reason for it was leg room,,,,but it still doesnt explain what about the 800 series,,,,but i heard years ago....it was just for visibility ,backing in ....:idunno:...bob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mack should have went with a wider cab from the Gitgo on the R series then the U and Dm offset wouldn't have been needed. They should have learned from the small B cab. Something half way between the R and the F model would have sufficed. Six - nine inches was all that was needed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well boys if you ever go out on a paving job or any job that requires you to be spot on then you would understand and appreciate the DM series of trucks but since most steering wheel holders can not back up anyway then you are right why bother with the off set cab, they were made when drivers had to back into places that drivers today would not even attempt but was everyday and all day. and that is why grasshopper.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

same with the "U" model.

made for city work where things got real tight real fast. 

first time i got into a "R" model i swore i was going to crash as i approached a toll booth. 

you don't realize how big that 12 inch or so offset is until you approach a tight space.

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

first time i got into a "R" model i swore i was going to crash as i approached a toll booth. 

you don't realize how big that 12 inch or so offset is until you approach a tight space.

Been there done that!! U model one night then an R model the next. l'd just close my eyes and aim for what l thought was the middle of the booth's lane. LOL!    .....Hippy 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr. Hancock to the rescue. Offset cabs did give you a good line of sight down the drivers side. There was a predecessor to the U and DM back in the 40's or 50'sI forget the model' A huge Mack water truck sometimes makes the show circuits. FK maybe? It seems Mack out did them all by a long shot with the number of models

Edited by james j neiweem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, james j neiweem said:

Mr. Hancock to the rescue. Offset cabs did give you a good line of sight down the drivers side. There was a predecessor to the U and DM back in the 40's or 50'sI forget the model' A huge Mack water truck sometimes makes the show circuits. FK maybe? It seems Mack out did them all by a long shot with the number of models

FCSW 1936 to 1947. There is a water tanker and a dump body that come to Macungie both have the pre L cabs

 

fcsw_lcab_1.jpg.88275d6944a4708d9cdaf7b2e8055c85.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Mr. Hancock to the rescue. Offset cabs did give you a good line of sight down the drivers side. There was a predecessor to the U and DM back in the 40's or 50'sI forget the model' A huge Mack water truck sometimes makes the show circuits. FK maybe? It seems Mack out did them all by a long shot with the number of models

LM had the off set.   arute had one

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mowerman said:

well i own one,,,,DM600and im not really sure,,,,but i watched a video a while ago and it explained only reason for it was leg room,,,,but it still doesnt explain what about the 800 series,,,,but i heard years ago....it was just for visibility ,backing in ....:idunno:...bob

The 800 series gave  a person the opportunity  of higher horsepower for a heavy haul mover.  imagine working on a 600 with a 864 /866 V8 or large cummins or cat.  and besides  what a beautiful majestic looking truck :DM800  LOL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

FCSW 1936 to 1947. There is a water tanker and a dump body that come to Macungie both have the pre L cabs

 

fcsw_lcab_1.jpg.88275d6944a4708d9cdaf7b2e8055c85.jpg

the FCSW could be cause for debate as an off-set.  the cab isn't  flush with the body, has driverside fender wider then cab, bulldog on radiator cap some what centered with front windshield center line.  hood design makes off set appear greater. drove both DM600 and 800 dumps basically you are on the body line.   yes /no the FCSW  was an off set relative :bmod_dump::bmod_dump:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

null

50 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

The 800 series gave  a person the opportunity  of higher horsepower for a heavy haul mover.  imagine working on a 600 with a 864 /866 V8 or large cummins or cat.  and besides  what a beautiful majestic looking truck :DM800  LOL. 

DM600

http://687255f1deb7245aadb0a6986ad7e1-vi.jpg

  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

 “Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

longer trailers...shorter tractors the DMs dumps were able to get more weight on front axle I have 4- DM-600s good frames this my newest addition  20-20-58-k 285-hp 6-speed 20" brakes.....  I wish I can find more that are in good shape especially when milling .....some times a little over loaded by 5-6 ton's ? 93368528_10219675500215238_1349468274747768832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=nrnHuB9r-CsAX8Y_2_s&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=b1d6022cc01939707f14f02f17394db4&oe=5EC0BC73

  • Like 2

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, bulldogboy said:

    So, what model is this, RM? Thanks.

That is an RD model even though the emblem says R600.  It was available with the familiar fiberglass tilt hood or the optional steel butterfly hood.  The RD model was introduced by Mack in 1970.

The RD was built with heavy duty components for severe service.  That would be a good chassis for the weight of a fire truck tanker.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...