Why do the DM series have the strange cabs?

On 5/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, mowerman said:

i broke in on a 2 stick U model,,,,with a DMV inspecter.....pretty cool old days........and yes eat your heart out....newbee aahahahahahahahahaha....nowdays,,,,these kids wont even hire on without an automatic transmission,,,and a XM radio...lol.bob

auto trans and XM radio  aren't  the first thing the "kids"look for;;;; first question is   : wheres the AC switch!!!    my  answer -- drive a B-model  ,they have the best AC  . just turn the little vent window in and drive fast.  faster you go better AC works.. LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

auto trans and XM radio  aren't  the first thing the "kids"look for;;;; first question is   : wheres the AC switch!!!    my  answer -- drive a B-model  ,they have the best AC  . just turn the little vent window in and drive fast.  faster you go better AC works.. LOL

Yes I will drink to that I could remember driving down to Yuma Arizona middle of summer about 150° out ha ha in an R model and that’s all I had was Turned backwards vent windows lol bob

• 2 years later...

I was told years ago, that the offset cab of the DM, was for the driver.  So he could see behind him really good, due to the amount of 'Backing up' that a dump truck driver and mixer driver have to do.  Jojo

• Like 1

Joe If you look back on most history of the mack line up most of the large off hyw units had an off set cab The CL350 and a lot of the mining trucks  had off set cabs so in my opinion you are correct! also the top  forward facing windsheild on the Cl 350 and some mining cabs I think was borrowed from the ship building archives in my opinion!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Too funny.. well, I ain't too proud to use them.. it's easier that getting my butt chewed out for a dent.. 🤣

i use them too Joey.

i cant see crap on the front of the new Kenworth.

plus with the blue LED light on top people can see me coming from a pretty good distance and get out of my way.  :twothumbsup:

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

When I was  driver in the late 90's -2001...  I was in construction.  I was on MANY job sites with, grade stakes and catch basins and piles of stuff and material, and oh yeah,,,,,  a bunch of guys on the ground..  not to metion the ocasional counterwieght swing around in front of my truck..  jojo

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I forgot to add that I was also driving late 70's DM's with rookie rods..  of course I drove Mack 'R' model, tractor trailers too..   jojo

late '70's DM's == real trucks. don't forget besides rookie rods the DM's and other HD trucks had front bumper steps made from large cables . the metal steps bent/ broke when contact was made with objects ; the bumpers didn't bend. cable steps had movement.

• Like 1

we never used cables on the DM800's because the drivers were lazy and would hook to them when stuck and rip them off. 

we had 1/2 inch link chain welded to the bumper brackets on the frame, and out 18 inches to the bumper.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

The U models were also designed to allow for pulling those 45' trailers back when the length laws were 55'. I also loved the bumper guide bars on my Macks but with the baby dogs on top. I also have a pair on my Ram 2500 and it still helps to know where the right side of the front of the p/u really is.

Poppop.  I have 1 of those little Bulldogs, from a 78 DM I used to drive.  The truck came in as a trade- in at the Mack Dealership I worked at...  Yeah,. I took it..  he's got the pointed ears..  👍

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have driven Mack mixers with the offset and center mount cab. The offset cabs were for DM and DMM600s. Truck was pretty capable off road. Rode like hell. Liked the off set cab off road, as long as the obstacle wasn't on my right. Road vision was very problematic. Had a wreck one time. I changed lanes to the right and ran over a small car that was not visible in my mirror. Solved that problem with a convex school bus mirror mounted on the right front fender. I have had a strong preference for the center mounted cab since then. Also DMM was very short on leg room and headroom.

• Like 2