Why do the DM series have the strange cabs?

We had 5 of these U Models.  I loved driving them, pulling a single pup you could damned near do a U-turn on a wide residential street. They were also the 1st city tractors that we bought (used) that had A/C.

U model Macks - Copy.jpg

U model Mack #207.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I drove DM mixers, mostly 6x6s, for 7 years. I know the shortcomings and strong points. I have never thought the left side visibility was worth sacrificing interior room and right side visibility. I spent a lot of time in city traffic with them an d the lack of right side visibility was a real problem. Came up with a partial solution. I had the company mount a 10" convex school bus mirror on the right front fender. This gave me the right side visibility I was missing. But I have done a lot of thinking over the years. Here is what I propose. First, develop a V-6 version of the engine. Mount the cab a little higher than normal. The V-6 would allow a shorter hood. Combined with the higher cab, this would allow a shorter m ore steeply sloping hood. I could be sculpted on the right side for more visibility. Front and right side vision would be vastly improved. The right side door could have a full length plexiglass insert for even more visibilty.

Great memories in offset cabs rode with my pop in a U model he used to sneak me aboard a lot on Friday nights 69- 73 then I went for my license in one 1975… now I’m ready for retirement… seems sometimes the time just flys by… Bob