Why do the DM series have the strange cabs?

I keep looking at that red DMM in this post; can't add another chassis to my "assembly line "right now-1/25th scale. 70 ton beam trailer waiting . have two DM800's in progress. waiting on 10 tires 11:00x 24's  . have the parts for a DM600 DMM. springs around the corner and lawns need attention. 

I’ve had a soft spot for them ever since my dad took me down to his work and 1967 to see the first brand new,U  model they bought beacon fast freight. I was only 11 he used to sneak me a board on Friday nights a lot 69 through 73 excellent time for a young boy. Great memories then I owned two of them myself.U and DM but yes, we thought they were a little odd the first few times we saw them bob

Too bad I didn’t have a smart phone back then I could just snap a picture of it. All we had was a Kodak swinger ha ha I’m sure you remember those. Also I did mention I was also putting together a DM 800 not sure if I mentioned, I built the same model while I was only 15…. Bob

• Like 1

back in the 70's I had three DM 800 models in the parts room display case at Mack. two TT and the 800 mixer. first Mack I drove was a brand new DM611  single axle . was taking it to the glass shop for window repair. I think half (or more) of the mechanics were standing outside in the yard watching this youngster trying to shift a quad, and laughing their as- off. 

I always liked using U and DM for spotting log trailers on logging jobs. Sitting on the drivers side made it easy to drop and hook trailers and it was easy to jump in and out of all day. We routinely moved 28-32 trailer loads a day using 2 spot trucks with the one driver that also trimmed up the loads with a pole saw.  

• Like 2

Well, I worked on it for about 45 minutes but I decided I didn’t have the patience today but yes, I did get a little achieved took  a little while to figure out where I left off plus I bought the kit used. Somebody else already started it glued. The rear ends are in backwards so I couldn’t use the air brake pots or the drive line 

Awwesome!!!   is it 6 wheel drive with Marmon Harrington front axle???  BTW.. I see you had the day off for bad weather..   We broke a record here...  79 degree's and SUNNY... :) I rode my sportster to work..  Ok I'm done 'Sidetracking'..    :) 

It’s all good my brother we have been having real nasty weather in entire winter. I could have worked but the boss offered me another fella had called off do you wanna cover him I said no I’m good but thank you I got cut that’s all I need been sitting around in PJs entire day. I haven’t even got dressed 

In case you fellows were wondering what was covering the photo I put this Yankees shot glass case in front of it seven years ago when we were remodeling the living room it was only supposed to be temporary ha ha you know how that works I finally moved it last week

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Awwesome!!!   is it 6 wheel drive with Marmon Harrington front axle???  BTW.. I see you had the day off for bad weather..   We broke a record here...  79 degree's and SUNNY... :) I rode my sportster to work..  Ok I'm done 'Sidetracking'..    :) 

yeah Joey, a good friend of mine lives in Texas. He was telling me it was 80 last week sometime. I’d sure like to see some of that around here.