Close call today with the B Model

Well took the B in to get a state inspection today.  No problem.  Got my sticker and drove a mile and a half to Gulf to fuel up.  Finished, when in to sign my ticket, BS'd for 20 min. came out and when I grabbed wheel to pull myself up knew I had a problem.  Wheel ends up in my hands.  Snapped off right at upper bearing-which was obviously very worn.  I guess you could say I should have noticed something ahead of time but in the like 6 years that I owned it can't say It ever felt too loose to me.

I guess I'm lucky, I'm a "lightweight" at right around 200 pds.  Guy that owns shop that did inspection goes closer to 300!  Ultimately this thing would have failed but I'm thinking his 300 pd. "tug" when he climbed up (24" rubber ) may have started the break and then I finished it off.

My build sheet says its a Gemmer 500 box.  At some point original owner added power steering.  Anyone have suggestions on best way to get box/steering column  out? 

Guy that owns Gulf garage pounded a stud into steering shaft then put a socket on it with a Vise Grip I had a "Tiller" and could get it off fuel island.

8A947C82-23B9-4E25-8AF5-3A4FC79D99DD.jpeg

262174DC-9ECB-4EC9-8B78-F8D47F2C5CC1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow! Very lucky.  I don't have an answer for you but I once had the pitman arm fall off of my steering box on my 1977 GMC Jimmy just as I left my buddy's farm. I wasn't moving very fast so fortunately I was able to drift off the road & stop, push it back on and get back into his driveway. The inability to steer, even at a low speed, is very overwhelming when moving!

Yikes.

I lost a rag joint in my '70 F100 many years back.  Was backing into the driveway, just about got it straightened out and woosh... the wheel just kept spinning.   Ya, another lucky steering moment!  

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Well that’s the second time I’ve seen that happened.  Luckily the fist time the guy was making a turn At an intersection I was behind him when he stopped suddenly. He got out walked back to me handed me the wheel and said here it’s your turn to drive.  I said wow good thing you weren’t going down the hiway.  That was a b81  

• Like 1

Definitely better than on the freeway!! I was at the Howard Truck show in Fairborn OH a few years ago; Jerry had a nice Mack, believe it was an L model. The bumper and left front fender were missing, he said the pitman shaft sheared off on the interstate and took the driver into the median cables. Lucky for him the cables were there!

Not that its steering related, but in the early '90s my brother was racing his BMW 2002 at Bridgehampton and his buddy (also a 2002) had the clutch explode on him at 100+mph.  Luckily the carnage went out the passenger side of the transmission tunnel and didn't amputate his legs.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Matt, Thanks for the offer.  It looks so much smaller (the box) than the Gemmer 500 that is in it.  As the only issue I have is the shaft broke, what you are suggesting is I replace shaft with this one?  By the way, today with the help of my machete I hacked my way to what I believe was a B-42 a friend had in his yard.  Box was very small.

11 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Matt, Thanks for the offer.  It looks so much smaller (the box) than the Gemmer 500 that is in it.  As the only issue I have is the shaft broke, what you are suggesting is I replace shaft with this one?  By the way, today with the help of my machete I hacked my way to what I believe was a B-42 a friend had in his yard.  Box was very small.

Yeah, I was thinking the steering shaft might work for you. The box is for a FA 505 axle. I thought yours, last time I saw it, had a heavy front axle and would have a bigger box. So, I wasn’t sure if the shaft would or could be swapped. Someone may know. I have it if you want to try? I can open this one up and see what it looks like, too?

Edited by mattb73lt

8 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Yeah, I was thinking the steering shaft might work for you. The box is for a FA 505 axle. I thought yours, last time I saw it, had a heavy front axle and would have a bigger box. So, I wasn’t sure if the shaft would or could be swapped. Someone may know. I have it if you want to try? I can open this one up and see what it looks like, too?

Matt-thx very much.  I'm checking on the shaft issue.  And I also had the same box in a B-68 that I sold to a guy in Maine.  So he was checking to make sure he still  had the box.  So if anyone  reading this thread has a clue, please let me know.  I'm also thinking I've got a machinist friend, might be able  to  rework the existing  shaft with a new end.  It broke right where the bearing sits.  As to  your thought of dropping it down,  My engine is a 237 and it looks like as the block flares out a lot at pan, it  would not get past that point.  This thing started life as a gas job.

Depending if the bearing has an inner race or if the shaft rides on the rollers?  If no inner race, then the shaft would need to be case hardened to survive the rollers running on it, even with just slow speed use like steering.

Is the shaft itself hollow?  I've had my wheel off a few times, but assumed the steering shaft was solid.  You made a comment above about pounding a stud in it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

13 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Depending if the bearing has an inner race or if the shaft rides on the rollers?  If no inner race, then the shaft would need to be case hardened to survive the rollers running on it, even with just slow speed use like steering.

Is the shaft itself hollow?  I've had my wheel off a few times, but assumed the steering shaft was solid.  You made a comment above about pounding a stud in it.

FT, Inner race. And hollow shaft

I wonder how the worm gear is secured to the shaft? I was thinking about pulling that B-42 box apart to get the shaft out. If the worm can be removed and swapped and all the other measurements are the same, this could be a pretty easy repair.

3 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I wonder how the worm gear is secured to the shaft? I was thinking about pulling that B-42 box apart to get the shaft out. If the worm can be removed and swapped and all the other measurements are the same, this could be a pretty easy repair.

Matt 

I have a Mack Operation and Maintenance Manual Form TS 442.  Only 208 pgs but attached is a picture of a worm and roller type box which is what you have I believe as well as a picture of the box I have which is a cam and Lever type.

I'm assuming that the worm in both boxes is separate from the shaft??? And if so what holds the shaft to the worm???

A2743124-C440-4035-A3ED-44A129761403_1_201_a.jpeg

8D318195-BEB9-4B91-89F0-C9A3F8D30EF6.jpeg

• Like 1