Drive in the country in a 1939 Mack FH

3 hours ago, j hancock said:

In 1994, Dick Kwak drove his 1939 Mack FH 280 miles from Ballston Lake, NY to Buffalo, NY for the ATHS National Show.  To facilitate the trip, the drive sprockets were changed to give the truck a little more top speed of about 45 mph.  The original EO engine had previously been replace with an EY engine.  He entered the New State Thruway at the Amsterdam interchange and headed west.

Unseasonable cold temperature and rain made for an interesting trip considering the truck had no heater or wipers.  After the show, a more leisurely route was chosen for the 280 mile trip home.

Must have been one hell of an adventure!

1939 Mack FH - Copy.JPG

100_3603 - Copy.JPG

100_3602 - Copy.JPG

Wonder how it felt to be passed by a set of turnpike doubles-on the hill at Herkimer??

remember hearing this story many times, we don't live far from where this truck has sat for many year. sadly someone stole the gold scripted Mack taillight off this truck as I remember it had when it sat in Dick's yard. he passed this past year I think and his kids brought this truck to Balston. he has many many treasures in his yard that everytime I had stopped are NOT FOR SALE including many AC mack shovels and cranes, a brute of a DM and some early BX Macks

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

On 11/3/2018 at 10:35 PM, Red Horse said:

Wonder how it felt to be passed by a set of turnpike doubles-on the hill at Herkimer??

Maybe he passed them!

The story goes that the rain west of Utica got pretty nasty and the traffic slowed down so the speed differential was pretty close.  I can't imagine making the trip on 90.  I would have used 5 or 20 both ways!

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I actually saw the trip your talking about.  I was going across the Thruway.  What I would give to have that adventure today. That's saying something because I've had a few adventures of my own.  In fact I posted a couple of em on our website.   

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

• 11 months later...

It is my pleasure! Most people who knew my dad know this story so I have heard many renditions. I’m still familiarizing myself with the FH but I was looking over that suspension, I know the truck started as a dump truck so all I could think was this would allow for an adjustable height for the box. However, this may be an altered suspension due to its later uses. My father hadn’t driven the truck to Ballston Spa in over 12 years, it had sat in the yard that whole time. I cleaned the points, hung a 1 gallon gas can from the windshield, and it fired right up. I know his spirit is still living in this truck.  A few parts were stolen while sitting in the yard like the radiator cap, the Mack script emblem on the front of the radiator, and an antique brake light on the back of the cab that he had found. I’ve got the correct radiator cap on it now but if anyone has any pictures of the brake light or a radiator emblem that I could purchase I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for all of your interest! 

God love him I would I would just put it on a trailer sounds like he probably had a ball doing it .....I’m sure he is in a better place....my pop and my uncles,,,all broke in on trucks like that one.....rough way to go ...lol..bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk