New Fad for Cars?

41chevy

Growing up in N.Y. I always worked hard NOT to have any that looked like this. Now people are paying $6000 to $8000 or more to make their vehicle look like a rust bucket.  NUTZ. First ones a Hellcat 4 sale v@ $50,000

2015_dodge_challenger-pic-8137257999367588808-1024x768-e1536715266949-630x344.jpeg.3724fb0fab4edc531ece87adaa206ee2.jpeg

11813478_10153538992022112_3527188101586897401_n.jpg.489cebfc11b30388a598ac17ff16118b.jpg

current-generation-chevy-silverado-gets-rusty-wrap-108184_1.jpg.3751606241b471355a4d8d1a2b19cf78.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Crazy fad!  I give them credit for the artistic skill to pull off the look.

It is funny to have a complete rat trap and then you see $6,000 worth of Brembo brake calipers inside the wheels!

Soooooo Paul.......  when is your new Ram being done?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

It's all vinyl wraps.  They can print anything.  I saw a new mustang at Columbus swap meet last spring that was primer grey wrapped.  Why?  because they can?

Remember back, maybe 10 yrs or more.   Just when the "rat rod" thing was just starting to show up in Hot Rod magazine.   There was a guy that painted a new plastic 41 Willys in "rust patina".  Had holes in it and looks so realistic.   There was a big argument about it and the whole car world was up in arms for awhile.  Much more talent to paint it on then have it wrapped in plastic.

Sad part, all these new cars with the rusty wraps?   Give them 5 yrs and they can look like that without paying $5K!!  Ever see a new Chevy or Dodge pickup and the rear wheel wells are rotted through?   Wow.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

19 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

It's all vinyl wraps.  They can print anything.  I saw a new mustang at Columbus swap meet last spring that was primer grey wrapped.  Why?  because they can?

Remember back, maybe 10 yrs or more.   Just when the "rat rod" thing was just starting to show up in Hot Rod magazine.   There was a guy that painted a new plastic 41 Willys in "rust patina".  Had holes in it and looks so realistic.   There was a big argument about it and the whole car world was up in arms for awhile.  Much more talent to paint it on then have it wrapped in plastic.

Sad part, all these new cars with the rusty wraps?   Give them 5 yrs and they can look like that without paying $5K!!  Ever see a new Chevy or Dodge pickup and the rear wheel wells are rotted through?   Wow.

The Hellcat is a 2017, Charger is a 2016 and the Chevy Truck is a 2016.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

12 hours ago, tenfive0 said:

I have a 1953 GMC Cab Over Engine (COE) that has been left outside unprotected from the elements for at least 40 years. I was planning to build it into a ramp truck / car hauler but now that I have my Mack CF-600 Cab and Chassis Hauler I've decided to sell the GMC. I'm figuring by looking at the pictures above I shouldn't have any trouble getting $25,000 for my pile of rust. it's the real deal not fake rust.. It even has a broken window, no extra charge. Of course I'd be willing to negotiate and I'm open to any reasonable offer slightly less the my asking price.

1953-01.jpg

Nice GMC! Way too cheap with that patina though, would you take $85,000 for it?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 hour ago, other dog said:

Nice GMC! Way too cheap with that patina though, would you take $85,000 for it?

For that much I'd even throw in my stash of extra GMC COE parts I was planning on selling separately PLUS my 1953 Chevy Panel Truck.

20180511_101015E.jpg

20180511_105947-2E.jpg

Chevy PanelE.jpg

Mack 11E.jpg

It’ll pass, like all the coffee can mufflers on rice burners after Fast and the Furious came out. My guess is this comes from the re-emergence of Mad Max or Resident Evil, etc.

Pretty entertaining to me! I was grunge back in the 90’s before grunge was cool....so why shouldn’t a modern brother driving a rusty F150 get his day in the sun now? 

20 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I hate to admit it, but that Hellcat looks pretty sweet. Maybe I like it because I grew up playing in the rusted old cars in the pasture behind our farm. 

I'm with you on that Hellcat. New wheels make some special look. And if it's just vinil or paint I'd name it as a "cool job".

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 9/14/2018 at 9:43 AM, Freightrain said:

Hah! My thought exactly-in particular with respect to the Ram pick ups.   seems like I see far more   Rams that are not that old that have signifant rust in particular around wheel wells.  Nothing like the old days though.  "They don't build them like the used too"...Agree and thank God!

20 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I'm developing a set of floor mats that spray water at you and blow wind up your legs to replicate rusted through Patina'd floor boards.

Proto type floor mat with optional hand waving at you.

AH-Sprite-1961-Rusted-Floor.JPG.69fb5c211929b435b890ea67624988f3.JPG

In my '86 Ranger, nearly the entire driver's side floor was gone.  I'd hang my foot down through the hole and swing it back and forth going down the road...got more than a few "looks", including one from a cop.  I was making a left, grabbed a gear and dropped my foot down. He stuck his head out his window watching as I went by.

I have a whole new (used) cab to put on there in a few years when the boy is old enough to help me start working on it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

On 9/15/2018 at 5:56 AM, 41chevy said:

I'm developing a set of floor mats that spray water at you and blow wind up your legs to replicate rusted through Patina'd floor boards.

Proto type floor mat with optional hand waving at you.

AH-Sprite-1961-Rusted-Floor.JPG.69fb5c211929b435b890ea67624988f3.JPG

I'v got a nice moment with my 1989 Jaguar car (which was bought for nearly nothing in a reason of the paperwork)

Once a roll back truck came to load it bringing to my home the driver put me by the car's wheel to steer onto the platform. Tha latter was not sliding down one so there were ramps. When you're getting up the most thing you see over you is the sky. And in such moment you prefere to hear or ask for the direction from a person outside. That's what I tried to do but found out the window lifters inoperatable and the driver door not able to open due to the platform side board. So I got in a light panic for a moment and than found out I didn't need and directions... Because I clearly saw the ramps and everything below me through the floor:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vladislav said:

I'v got a nice moment with my 1989 Jaguar car (which was bought for nearly nothing in a reason of the paperwork)

Once a roll back truck came to load it bringing to my home the driver put me by the car's wheel to steer onto the platform. Tha latter was not sliding down one so there were ramps. When you're getting up the most thing you see over you is the sky. And in such moment you prefere to hear or ask for the direction from a person outside. That's what I tried to do but found out the window lifters inoperatable and the driver door not able to open due to the platform side board. So I got in a light panic for a moment and than found out I didn't need and directions... Because I clearly saw the ramps and everything below me through the floor:)

British cars rot as bad as older Fiats. I looked at a 1959 Jaguar MK IX Saloon, opened the rear door and it fell at my feet. The rot was at least 60% of the  car.

The floor with the fingers showing is in a  Triumph Sprite but it is all getting cut out for a LS9 crate engine and a 6 speed.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

20 hours ago, 41chevy said:

British cars rot as bad as older Fiats. I looked at a 1959 Jaguar MK IX Saloon, opened the rear door and it fell at my feet. The rot was at least 60% of the  car.

The floor with the fingers showing is in a  Triumph Sprite but it is all getting cut out for a LS9 crate engine and a 6 speed.

Italian marks are in the competition with Britishes about rust. I think Lancia, FIAT or Alfa are relatively rare occupants on North American roads but here they used to sell some. Not many survivors down the road now taking to account the cars were sold not long ago. At the same time Russian Lada being a license production of FIAT (originally) showed its property during many years. Actually they just started showing holes after 5-6 years of all-year driving.

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

Italian marks are in the competition with Britishes about rust. I think Lancia, FIAT or Alfa are relatively rare occupants on North American roads but here they used to sell some. Not many survivors down the road now taking to account the cars were sold not long ago. At the same time Russian Lada being a license production of FIAT (originally) showed its property during many years. Actually they just started showing holes after 5-6 years of all-year driving.

Fiats and Lancias were actually banned from import to the U.S. at one time in the 1970's because of severe rust in 1 to 2 years. But we did get the Fiat back as a YuGo.

In the 1950's my dad sold Borgwards, Singers, Austins and NSU's . It's funny, he turned down Honda in the 1960's .  Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE