Work boots

Need a new pair and was wanting people’s opinions; myself have been wearing red wings for last 30yrs, keep 2 pair of slip-on’s and rotate; & keep another for a clean pair & slip in rotation when needed. All different style but they are very similar.

I was a loyal RW fan for years, then about 85% of their product went foreign made and the quality went down the toilet. Now I buy Lehigh (the store is close to the house) or I buy Carolina but even those are starting to go foreign. A friend turned me on to this place and I think next go-around I may give them a try:

http://www.midwestboots.com/category/USA-Made-Built.html

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I wore Red Wings for years because I'd heard of the reputation. And then..........I learned you could have the terrific comfort combined with ruggedness. That day is when I discovered Lowa. Apparently, the folks in Slovakia really know how to make a great boot.

Take a look at the Renegade III GTX Lo..........https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/renegade-iii-gtx®-lo?color=Espresso/Brown

Their mil-spec boots (Zephyr) are unparalleled............https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking

I stopped buying Red Wing socks as well, and switched to Hanes "Premium" men's crew socks, sold exclusively at Target. There is no more comfortable, cushioned and long-lasting sock on the market.

https://www.target.com/p/hanes-174-premium-men-s-10pk-2-free-pair-crew-socks-6-12/-/A-52605507#lnk=sametab

Comfort is important.......you only live once.

• Like 2

I agree feet are important. I got on the red wing thing cause my wolverine supplier quit. Never thought I could afford red wing; but they would outlast them wolverines almost 3 times; so it made since. I always wore the older style USA red wings; they do have some cheap lookin stuff now. My styles have gotten so expensive that the store don’t stock them anymore. Got on red wing socks about 20yr ago; the only socks I ever found that would last and not slide down. They discontinued them. Think they called them the double knee or something, best boot sock ever. Will have to try those Hanes 

37 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

fwiw   have a look at dan post line    69681 is a nice work boot wtr. proof and actually looks like a boot

These are nice lookin boots; too good for work boots; really like the price. That’s same kinda style of 1 I buy, I have thought of skipping because of the heel; the others I wear have about half that.

I just started wearing the ariat oilfield cowboy boot and absolutely love them. Always wear whites but the company changed policy mid year and I needed a comfortable pair of leather safety toed boots and I will definitely buy another pair. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I wore Redwing's since the 70’s.  The last two pairs of Redwing's I bought really has me thinking they may be doing a little bait and switch. Last time the pair of shoes I wanted weren’t in stock so they drop shipped them from somewhere. After they arrived I know they had a “Made in the USA” tag but some of the components had attributes of those found in China boots. While in the store I saw the majority of their boots were now imported.

Another one I wore for years,  I now have reservations about that being Carhartt. They operates 17 manufacturing facilities around the world with only 4 in the USA. They may be “finishing” items in the States and then attaching a “Made in the USA” label. Last trip I made to a Carhartt store most everything I picked up was imported. Does anyone know the real story?

been wearing redwings since i was 15, went to by a pair of standard logger boot 4418 they have been makin for EVER and found they were discontinued. had some look alike green ugly boots the guy i have been buyin them from 20+ years from said is what everyone is wearing now that they discontinued the boot i love. i absolutely HATE them. worst pile i ever put on my feet and they are still then us made boot. my feet sweat, smell, they feel like slippers and are about as supportive, my arches and feet hurt. make me sick to my stomach i paid good money for garbage. bought a cheap paid of carhart boots and Carolina logger style, they are all way too insulated and make my feet sweat. about disgusted with red wings. i look at their website and all i see now are poindexter yuppy trash lookin dress shoes, not even a decent lookin work boot. now I'm at a loss also cause I'm wearing out my last two pair of 4418 and 2218's i had stashed.

Edited by Maddog13407

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I get the redwing 604 they are about $230.     The amish guy I buy  from says they are the best boot they make, idk.      I use to where wolverines and some cheaper redwings but only got 8 months out if them.   I get about 2 years out of the 604s

Bought pair of Wesco boots, great boot, but the puke who measured my feet made them to tight, been trying to give them away, going to send back and tell them to shove them up pukes ass, been buying snap on, but going to try Danner next, snap on makes great socks, got at least 50 pair, don't have time to wash when on a project, just take enough to go and get back, had Red Wings but think quality went off and more interested in pretty wear not work wear, seen good boots in Europe but don't understand their sizing, Carhart won't even last 3 months, get almost year out of Snap on. 

What style # did red wing discontinue that y’all wore? I have a pair of lace up 4451 steel toe that I wear occasionally but not much on lace up having to take them off so much. Anyway was told they have them only made to order nowadays. Guess people don’t like the older style stuff? All the new boots look like something from outer space

I've been wearing Rocky boots for a long time. I like a Wellington boot because I never learned to tie it's hard for me to tie my boots in the truck. They used to be made in Ohio, but the last few pairs I bought were made in the Dominican Republic.

I always bought this style, the fabric upper part made them light, and they're very comfortable too.

FQ0002867_LARGE.jpg.9bde673428529010988a29cc8e311062.jpg

But the ones I was wearing were not insulated, my insulated pair just like them needs re-soling. During the cold spell a while back my feets stayed cold, so I ordered a new pair of insulated ones. Turns out you can't get them with a safety toe any more, so I looked and ordered these instead-

20180209_214919.jpg.88dfa5b844e14ac5338aefe442b08be8.jpg

They have a safety toe, and twice the insulation of the others- 400G instead of 200G..whatever that actually means. I like the looks of the first pair better, but these don't look too bad. They look very well made, they were around $200, and I haven't even worn them yet.

...and on the box it said "made in Vietnam".

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

l'm on my second pair of Red Wings #1412. Wearing them seven days a week l got three years out of the first ones. Two and a half on this pair so far. With the wide (extended) heel l don't roll the boot over like l did with the logger style. My back and legs don't bother me like they did before. The RW salesman called the logger style the " Cowboy boot of the northeast".   .....Hippy   

I just bought a pair of Red Wings, Ksb will love this! They are made in China! They are called Irish setters very good quality all leather triple stitched light brown foot,blue shaft work boots but I no longer work in the conventional sense! Saw them advertised up to 150.00 Rural King sold them online for 79.00 free shipping. My last pair of Red Wings sold for 90.00 in 1983! We're plain Wellington steel toe. I checked every boot at rural king they were all made in China except one very expensive pair made somewhere in central America! The Red Wings I bought are very comfortable! I checked several online reviews one was a farmer said he couldn't wear them out! I'm surprised Red Wing would let their product be sold online,usually sold at a shoemaker! Hanes are by far the best socks I've ever owned, have had some for 15 yrs!

5 hours ago, h67st said:

I wear Red Wings; I found a style that is comfortable and lasts a long time (#953)...been buying them for about 15 years and I'm afraid to try a different brand.

953s are my daily work wear. I'm 3 years into my current pair, need to order new ones for the spring. The redwing shop doesn't stock them, they have to order them in. I got a pair of lined, but not insulated, loggers for the snow. Not really a fan, I don't care for the lining, but I thought it would keep my feet dry. It only does for about an hour.

Red wing discontinued the 4418(red high heel thinsulate logger boot) and the 2218 (black uninsulated high heel logger) they have Chinese junk irish setters and an off brand looking logger but they are so hot, even the uninsulated ones. i use to wear the 4418's all summer long even insulated and my feet newer hurt or sweat. i loath the new red wings i bought that are suppose to be a replacement for the 4418's. what makes it worse is you check the red wing website and all you see is hikin boots and yuppie lookin dockers. guess they don't wanna put shoes on the American workin man anymore.i even asked my boot guy who is a little shop whos been in business forever about getting a batch of the 4418's made once a year cause he said everyone keeps askin about the and Red Wings answer was NO!.  guess they cant compete with all these Carolina and Irish Setter looking Chinese logger boots. Add all this to the fact that my 1st pair for Redwings i bought when i was 16 was $212 a pair and my last pair for good ones were $293.  had the get stuck buyin the red wings that were knock off us made ones for $180. id have no problem payin $293 again if i could just get the boots i like

Edited by Maddog13407

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

20 hours ago, Phase 1 said:

Russell's are hand made in Wisconsin - and expensive.

If anything on them ever wears out, send them back and they will repair/replace whatever is worn.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Have you owned any? I like the idea of spending big money and getting good service and quality... but somehow, I can't believe they'd be willing to rebuild boots that fail from working in a dairy barn.... 

• Like 1

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.