1964 Mack B81 Dump Trucks

While I think that a B81 dump with 2 or 3 axles is pretty much the most beautiful truck ever built, and I hope I can find myself a nice one someday, I, too, have to admit that if I had to drive one as worker bee, I think I'd have to go with the Granite! I don't think you'll see many of them working in 2065, but frankly, there aren't really that many B81s working today either. And I think the Granite IS a pretty nice looking rig, even if not quite as rugged.... And it's got to be a lot more comfortable and easier on the shifting arm than the B on an 8 or 10 hour shift :-)

I don't think there will be a Granite on the road in 30 years, let alone 50.

My prediction is that DEF will be discontinued on new trucks sometime in the next few years which means that in 20 or 30 years you will not be able to find DEF anywhere. No DEF to keep old trucks on the road will mean no old trucks. Just my$.02.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

DEF = Diesel Exhaust Fluid (urea). I agree Carl, several years ago a few of us OE guys discussed this issue. Diesel engines were close to meeting the new regs without DEF. But DEF was an "easy" way to meet the regs. I feel the engine OEs will develop technology to meet the future regs without a lot of aftertreatment devices. Neverstar gave it a try but failed (close but no cigar). Time will tell.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

my guess would be that you will see granites around 30 to 50 years in the future. don't get me wrong, I love B81's, but granites are awesome trucks too. Take a 2003 cv713 for example. I found one for sale on crags this summer with 82,000 miles on it. E7-427 with a mack 18 speed. Awesome truck,looked like the day someone bought it. There is no reason why that truck won't be around in 30 years if it is in the right hands. I have a 1998 rd688sx with the exact specs, 130,000 miles on it. It has a light workload and it lives in a heated and air conditioned shop. The truck is like new and its almost 20 years old. It will be around in 30 years. That being said, I have seen similar units abused that look like clapped out turds not fit for the road. Remember a lot of b81's ARE NOT still around. They were run hard, wore out, and discarded. Nothing has changed, the cream puffs will survive and the rest will go by the wayside.

I feel the engine OEs will develop technology to meet the future regs without a lot of aftertreatment devices. Neverstar gave it a try but failed (close but no cigar).

Apparently VW found the solution; Cheat!

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I don't think id wanna wake up with a bad hangover and have to get in an old B model everyday to earn a living. modern conveniences like power to get away from a traffic light and decent heat, a/c and defrosters would ruin a good day. I dunno bout you guys but I have driven B models in 100 degree heat and the cold and had to fight to keep the windshield defrosted before to.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Lack of A/C would be the most glaring shortcoming, IMO. I'm pretty sure there'd be a way to keep heat on the windshield during the cold of the winter.

As far as comfort and ease of driving, a B model with power steering and a Bostrom seat would go a long way in providing driver comfort, and there were many Bs that had both.

• Like 1

I don't think id wanna wake up with a bad hangover and have to get in an old B model everyday to earn a living. modern conveniences like power to get away from a traffic light and decent heat, a/c and defrosters would ruin a good day. I dunno bout you guys but I have driven B models in 100 degree heat and the cold and had to fight to keep the windshield defrosted before to.

Yep, it's like being in a giant roaster when it's 100 degrees. I thought I would have a heat stroke after 20 miles!

P.L.Duncan's-

post-1374-0-06592200-1450020860_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.