Got raped by towing company

keg1

Left at 2:30 this morning for Canada got to I-90 at 3:30 and noticed truck was missing. Figured I would nurse it down the shoulder and try and make it to Harborcreek to mack garage but it started knocking pretty good so at 6:00 I finally found someone to tow it.10 mile tow cost me $1815.00. They said it was illegal to tow whole unit so they brought a tractor to pull trailer. Driver of tractor dumped his air and backed under trailer came about an inch from sticking it in the back of his bunk. He did that twice and told I him he was about a foot low. The other clown hooking up to my tractor chained up the front axle and then asked me if I had the suspension aired up. I looked at him and said yea those springs are as aired up as there going to get. I told them what i thought when he told me how much. Service manager said I got a good deal at that price from them, he figured they probably charged about $3400.00. He told there was another guy that would have done it for around $250.00. Live and learn.

• Like 1

I've heard east coast heavy duty towing is expensive. Place I worked before I bought my own truck charges $145.00 hr for a trac/trailer. in Illinois we can tow them together, but I know that isn't the case everywhere. 10 mile tow shouldn't have been more than $400.

just my 2 cents

Seems like most towing companies are rapist. Someone has to pay for their $800k rotator trucks. We got a guy in town that tows cheap and the other only towing company we use runs all antique Fords and Internationals. 40+ trucks and only the 2 brothers drive them. Class act operation.

• Like 2

Matt

Ive said it before and I'll say it again dont you blokes carry a chain help a mate out steady steady even pulling a triple road train with a triple a air hose between steady steady yeah your over 300 feet long but you get there and it only takes time a lot of blokes used to carry a towing pole cant run each others bum then sure cheaper than tow truck I guess I come from a different part of the world

Paul

Ive said it before and I'll say it again dont you blokes carry a chain help a mate out steady steady even pulling a triple road train with a triple a air hose between steady steady yeah your over 300 feet long but you get there and it only takes time a lot of blokes used to carry a towing pole cant run each others bum then sure cheaper than tow truck I guess I come from a different part of the world

Paul

We did that here, there would be a whole line of officers from DOT to the local constable writing tickets for it. We can't be trusted to help ourselves you know. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

if we all carried chains, that would be the answer, but there is not enough of us smart people to hook the thing in the right spot on both ends. cant fix stupid and the guy tryin to help is usually the one getting sued. cant flat tow ANY vehicle in Ny with a chain. law states , tow dolly, tow bar , or tow truck! I fill in here and there for a local tow company and we have hauled many TT hooked together tho.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

The mill where I worked an owner operator put a truck and trailer in a ditch to avoid an accident. The cruse control stuck coming up on an accident on the hwy. Long story short towing and storage bill was more than the truck and trailer was worth. He just walked away from it let the towing have it.

i once towed a guy about 10 miles with a chain. he was a guy i knew out in the middle of no where. had him stick it in 1 gear lower than i pulled him in to help keep some tension on the tow line and keep his air pressure built up. had him stick it in 3rd i pulled him in 4th. it took a while to get him into the truck shop no cops around. iv been lucky enough to never be on a hook, there is probably a few times i should have been but i always managed to mcgiver things together to get where i needed to be to get parts/repairs.

About 7 years ago a car hit my MH head on recovery and towing charges added up to over $10,000 ! They towed the tractor about 20 miles to their storage yard. Accident wasn't even my fault. Luckily the insurance covered it. Yeah I'd say that towing company took you! Especially if the two losers they sent out to do the job didn't have a clue what they were doing.