A very solemn day April 28,1966

YEAH THE "B" WAS A GREAT TRUCK, AN ICON! ALONG WITH ALL THAT CAME BEFORE IT AND DURING IT'S LIFE TIME AND IT'S BIGGER LITTLE BROTHER, THE "R" WELL THAT'S ANOTHER STORY! THAT WAS JUST MACK THOUGH, THEY JUST BUILT TOUGH TRUCKS NOT CRAP, UNLIKE SOME OF TODAY'S EXAMPLES! LONG LIVE THE MACK OF OLD, LEGEND! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

:mack1:

1964 New York World's Fair Mack had their first triaxle mixer on display and Beard concrete of Milford CT bought it needless to say the frame broke on both sides and took out of service and Matthew Flanagan bought it aka Agra transport.It was white

Ed

My friends grandfather was a parts runner at mack he started there in 66 he remembers there being about 20 b models sitting there and he said it was after production stopped. He asked why they were there and he was told some guy refused to buy any r models so they made them last b's for him. I'm sure this story is not 100% correct but imcsure it's close.

• Like 1

The article mentions +/- 2000 forward control and CKD B model units that I'm not sure I'm aware of. Anyone have photos and/or descriptions?

CKD means Complete Knock Down truck. It was a complete truck that was sent somewhere as a big kit and built at the destination.

I am not sure on the Forward Control but might be the term for something like a bus chassis where you got the drivetrain and the front sheetmetal with a cowl and a school bus body was then built on it.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

This may be it.

It was shown at the Ohio Vintage Truck Jamboree, Ashland Ohio in 2012.

Dan Aldrich photo.

Jeff

That's one mean lookin b.....tri drive and front floaters.......sweet :)

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

CKD means Complete Knock Down truck. It was a complete truck that was sent somewhere as a big kit and built at the destination.

I am not sure on the Forward Control but might be the term for something like a bus chassis where you got the drivetrain and the front sheetmetal with a cowl and a school bus body was then built on it.

I have read about CKD units and thought that they were all for export as that was the way it was sometimes done. There are pictures of trucks that were shipped overseas with the parts all packed in large boxes. I remember a parts man at a Mack dealer showing my father a new truck - I think it was an F model, all in parts at a Mack dealer and I thought that it was a complete truck but was young then and afterward thought that it might have been a glider kit. Were CKD units sold to U.S. dealers that way?