Mack 44,000 differential carrier side cover o-ring

mackone

30 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

the o-rings are easy to buy...  how corroated is the cover?  if it's not salt damaged, just drain the top reduction, pull the cover, remove the o-ring in one piece, (hopefully). clean the groove, clean the opening of the carrier, clean the o-ring and rub it down with Mack gray RTV or Permatex ultra black, and put it back together, put a dot of RTV on the 4 bolt's. then put new gear oil in the side plug. this will also give you the chance to inspect the gear set and clean the magnetic tray..  jojo

And check back lash as well.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention how tight of a space it is to get a large ratchet/breaker bar, inside the top reduction housing to tighten the sh!t out of those 2 inner bolt's.  I have a 7/8' , 1/2" drive socket that I trimmed down to fit under the bevel pinion, so I can get a good pull on the bolt in that position, the other one can be hammered in place with a strong 1/2" drive impact, then pulled with a breaker bar.. the hard part is that there is a frame rail in the way......  Just get creative, and work on youre cuss word's, you'll need em'   Jojo

• Like 2

One thng I have never done is check anything inside when fixing the leaking O ring 

So I guess that makes it about 5 things I've never done lol

Anyway I reckon check the breather, dunno if you have remote breathers on the fire wall as a lot of Macks out here do

Pull them apart and wash the gauze and filter material out in petrol (gas) and blow the line out to the diffs

Most times when things like that start leaking the breather is blocked, at least thats my experience 

We have mud wasps out here amd them buggers block things up in a hour or so given half a chance

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Paul, Here in the Southern U.S.   We have "Dirt Daubber's" They pack everything with dirt.. I have to put plugs in the ends of my rolls of hoses and fuel lines, because they will fill it with dirt, some times 3-4 " up the hose, some of my air tools in my shop that don't get much use, have dirt in the air nipples, gotta cap those too...  Jojo

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I forgot to mention how tight of a space it is to get a large ratchet/breaker bar, inside the top reduction housing to tighten the sh!t out of those 2 inner bolt's.  I have a 7/8' , 1/2" drive socket that I trimmed down to fit under the bevel pinion, so I can get a good pull on the bolt in that position, the other one can be hammered in place with a strong 1/2" drive impact, then pulled with a breaker bar.. the hard part is that there is a frame rail in the way......  Just get creative, and work on youre cuss word's, you'll need em'   Jojo

seems to me i had a HD box wrench that i  heated up with a torch ; put an off set riser and bend in , cut off the open end  was able to put small length of pipe on for leverage to tighten the inner bolt. before the days of silicone we put the brown tar -like permatex on the threads for sealant. sure we all have the one draw in the toolbox with custom made wrenches . problem with old age ;  i look at the tools can't remember what i made them for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'mech'  you made a tool that sounds like the actual kent-moore tool... I made them because the short bone wrench was $750.00...  I bet the tool you made worked great, and I think the sealant you are talking about is called: "Indian Head"..  really tacky, and stink's like ASS !!  Jojo

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Hi Paul, Here in the Southern U.S.   We have "Dirt Daubber's" They pack everything with dirt.. I have to put plugs in the ends of my rolls of hoses and fuel lines, because they will fill it with dirt, some times 3-4 " up the hose, some of my air tools in my shop that don't get much use, have dirt in the air nipples, gotta cap those too...  Jojo

Dirt Daubber's  10-4 on that.There is here also a small bee that can build a nest inside a 1/4 hose or tube that i have seen.

• Like 2

glenn akers

23 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

'mech'  you made a tool that sounds like the actual kent-moore tool... I made them because the short bone wrench was $750.00...  I bet the tool you made worked great, and I think the sealant you are talking about is called: "Indian Head"..  really tacky, and stink's like ASS !!  Jojo

all three of my tool boxes have one drawer that the jar of Permatex Indian Head sealant leaked in, leaving a big brown tar like mess

16 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

Dirt Daubber's  10-4 on that. There is here also a small bee that can build a nest inside a 1/4 hose or tube that i have seen.

we have the dirt daubers (we call them mud daubers or mud wasps) here in New Jersey too. 

they really like building in auto trans and axle vents. plugging them solid. then once the axle or trans warms up it spits oil/gear lube everywhere.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I dont use Indian Head any more,  I have had many messes from it,  too funny.  and the dirt daubers caught me one day when I replaced a fuel line on a generator, and no gas came through to the filter.  I was scratching my head,, thats when I learned about the little bastards..  too funny...jojo

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

made an attempt to go out to garage today to look in that "special drawer" of home-made tools. the temp will have to go above the single digit first. modern technology (silicone) has replaced all the good stuff. one of the challenges back in the day was to  see a transmission put together with this new white stuff silicone and not actual gaskets. 

Permatex and Loctite products are getting harder to get locally as they are getting replaced by cheap crap that looks almost the same but definitely isnt

Think it comes from China or somewhere even cheaper if thats possible 

The good old gasket good, I  aviation sealant from Permatex is the proper name and the purple Loctite flange sealant that neved really sets hard are my favorites 

Permatex copper head gasket spray has had a good result for me

Old blokes used silverfrost paint for head gaskets years ago

Paul 

• Like 1

Paul, I swear by This Stuff..(& Loctite 680 retaining compound..)

Image 1 - Loctite 3J Gasket Sealant Non - Hardening Form - A - Gasket Aviation 50ml

Oldest Son is an Apprentice mechanic at the Local New Holland Farm machinery Dealer, & his Toll Box is full of CNH Branded Stuff, that Looks very similar to Loctite Products..

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 1/27/2022 at 10:11 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

One thng I have never done is check anything inside when fixing the leaking O ring

If you looked inside and saw the big gear with teeth unbroken I think the main check was Ok :)

My curiosity usually leads me to count them teeth and count out the ratio. But not much need in that if thinking global...

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 8:06 PM, Joey Mack said:

Reading through this has been helpful, our MR688 has this same leak, wondering if it's a cracked housing or loose bolts.  Driving the intermediate axle up on blocks should make access a lot easier? Should lift the frame up away from the rear drive axle. Won't be able to look into this til I drive the truck back from Iowa in 6 weeks though.

Edited by JoeH

On 1/27/2022 at 7:18 AM, Joey Mack said:

I had a mud dauber problem on mine.  Fuel was returning to the RH tank but the LH tank was almost dry.  Pulled the vent off the top of the LH tank, and it was stopped up by the little critters.  Cleaned the vent tube, and voila!  Air could escape the tank and the fuel could get in.  Hateful little bastards...

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."