RIP Dozer

RowdyRebel

He was about 4 months old when he came into my life 10/24/2008. He'd been abandoned down in Texas...kicked out of a moving car in a box with a few other pups, but he was the one the wife (g/f at the time...we got engaged that night) picked out for me. She brought him up that weekend when she came for a visit, and the 1st thing he did was let out this deep, low growl at me when I leaned in to say hello.  He rode around in the truck with me for years...best damn truck dog you could imagine, and the road-ragingest son-of-a-gun you ever saw. I still remember that Arkansas state cop that pulled me over on 67 going around the scale...jumped up on the passenger side step and damn near got his nose bit off. Tumbled down into the ditch in his haste to avoid the snapping dog, and motioned for me to exit the truck to talk on the shoulder. Before we parted ways, he said he'd have to have a look inside the truck...and I said "That's really up to him" and pointed at Dozer, who'd been snarling and barking through the passenger window the whole time.  So the truck is on the shoulder, and I open the door. Dozer was crouched on the floor by the pedals bearing every inch of his teeth, with the MEANEST damn growl you could imagine...every hair on his back standing at attention. So I stood there in the road with my thumbs hooked in his collar, scratching him behind the ears saying "good boy" as the cop...standing on the opposite side of the road on his tip toes...did his best to look around me and the dog to have that look.  Anyway, there was nothing he loved more than riding around in the truck with me all day, and I never went anywhere without him. When the wife (fiance at the time) moved up here with her dog, we had to retire old Dozer...his new job was keeping her dog company so she wouldn't get anxious being alone and tear up the house while we were gone. When I'd be getting ready to leave, he'd try to outsmart me...waiting by the truck and refusing to go back in the house. After a couple weeks, though, he got used to the new routine, and seemed content staying home.  He gave us a scare once several years back...lost 35 pounds (1/3 of his weight) in a month and was really peeing a lot. Turned out he had diabetes, and so from that point on he'd get 2 shots of insulin per day every day. Unfortunately, with dogs if you don't get their blood sugar in check quickly, they develop cataracts. Slowly over the course of the next several years, his eyesight faded. He still got around pretty good, though...he knew his way around the house and yard.

Yesterday while I was at work, I got a text from the wife that he was having trouble breathing, and that she was taking him to the vet. Within an hour, she was blowing up my phone. Apparently, they had taken some x-rays and found a tumor in his gut, that pressed against his spleen and leaked fluid into his throat. He collapsed within 20 minutes of arrival at the vet, and he's gone.

Last night was rough. It was the 1st time in over 10 years I had to sleep without him in the house. The little things that annoy you...like his heavy panting (which we thought was just his subtle way of letting us know he needed out...turns out he was just trying to breathe)...are missed.  Damn near lost it this morning when I walked out of the bedroom and looked down at the spot on the floor in the doorway where he'd lay as we slept...force of habit to avoid stepping on him in the dark.  Anyway, it's going to be rough around here for a while until we figure out what the new normal is going to look like...

June ??, 2008 - June 12, 2019post-1673-0-78798100-1343434565_thumb.jpgpost-1673-0-92130700-1348447595_thumb.jpgpost-1673-0-34035300-1353819962_thumb.jpgpost-1673-0-24595500-1358990765_thumb.jpgpost-1673-0-08824800-1361670352_thumb.jpgpost-1673-0-11108900-1361674054_thumb.jpgpost-1673-0-91626900-1445097138_thumb.jpg

Edited by RowdyRebel
  • Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Sure sorry to hear that as I know damned well how close they can become. Always favored German Shepard dogs ourselves and have had many through the years with saying final "good bye's" always being difficult.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sorry for you loosing a good friend. I can totally relate, with my St Bernard gone now for 4 weeks. He lived a great life and made it to past 11 years old. His Australian Shepard buddy is lost for the time being. 

Funny but the things that you talk about that were a bother are the first things you miss. The snoring, farting,  tripping over him at the bedroom door at night, wolfing down food, scaring the crap out of people that came to the front door and in my case in the pool everyday of the year and try to come in the house soaking wet. 

Swore I would never get another big dog but now waiting on a litter of pups to be born in a week and pick out one or two. I feel your lose.

• Like 1

For some one who loved that dog , you sure provided a lousy ass seat for him you could have at least put a rug or  blanket on it , and how did the wife like riding on it when you kicked him out . Any way sorry for  your loss of a good friend,my past dogs  .still hold a special place in my heart .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gxbxc said:

For some one who loved that dog , you sure provided a lousy ass seat for him you could have at least put a rug or  blanket on it , and how did the wife like riding on it when you kicked him out . Any way sorry for  your loss of a good friend,my past dogs  .still hold a special place in my heart .

I did usually have a rug or something of the sort tacked on there, but occasionally it'd need replacing. That pic was in between coverings. I didn't really like rolling around with just the plywood because it was a little slick.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

15 hours ago, Rob said:

Sure sorry to hear that as I know damned well how close they can become. Always favored German Shepard dogs ourselves and have had many through the years with saying final "good bye's" always being difficult.

Never got to say goodbye. Night before, I had worked late & picked the kid up at the sitter looking forward to getting home and crawling into bed...but when I got home I found that the wife's dog had pushed the door open to the baby's room and messed in there...which really pissed me off (she knows better)...so I cleaned it up & put the boot to her. Ol' Dozer hated it when I gave her ANY attention (good OR bad) and so he tried getting between me & her growling and barking at me the whole time...so he got the boot, too, just enough to get him out of the way. I left both dogs outside & went to bed since the wife was going to be home soon.  Next morning I gave him a little extra rub on the head and let him know we were OK, then left for work. He passed mid-day...never saw him again.

And something that really has me freaking out right now, Dozer was a diabetic, and so to control his blood sugar he was on a strict diet...fed at 9:00 AM and PM, with his insulin shot at 9:30 AM and PM. I had the calendar on my phone programmed to remind me at 9:00 and 9:30 AM and PM...recurring events every day at those times with push notifications indefinitely....been that way since he was diagnosed. Last night, I went in to delete those events on the calendar since I'd no longer need those reminders, and when I opened it up the last one showing on the calendar was for Wednesday morning. He passed shortly after noon. The Wednesday evening feeding & shot as well as every future occurrence was already absent from my calendar. I didn't delete them...so what happened? How did my phone know those events were no longer relevant? 😨

Last year when I was circling the drain with congestive heart failure ,while I was in the hospitial bed I felt something slide up on the bed just Like  my old Doberman Ajax  used to do when he was sneaking into bed with me . and as it was he pasted with congestive heart failure in 1983, I guess he was waiting for me ,so we could go for a walk together again. And no it wasn't a nurse I ain't that good looking any more .

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I really feel for you! All three of ours passed away over the month after my wife died. I'm convinced it was from broken hearts because she spoiled them constantly.   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE