new way of living

davehummell

Once you figure it out you'll wonder how you managed without it.  Wife and I use our cell phones exclusively as do all of our kids. 

After much procrastination, I finally got rid of our land line at the house. Besides saving about $40. per month, I no longer receive calls from people trying to sell me something I don't want or need, interrupting me from whatever I was doing at the time.  And when I come home, no stupid recorder blinking at me telling me I have 10 missed calls.  And, I don't have to answer the landline phone only to find out the caller wanted to speak to my wife and vice versa, and have to take a message for her, etc.  One less irritation in an already complicated life.  If your cell phone rings you can be pretty sure it is actually someone wanting YOU.

And best of all, my cell phone allows me to easily block the phone number of incoming calls that are from someone I don't want to talk to.  "Al Gores office calling, how are you sir, are you concerned about global warming? 

"No I'm not."  I hang up, click on settings, choose block number.'   Sweet justice...

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

I kicked and screamed when the wife forced me to get one 15 years ago but now I use it all the time especially on the road but I don’t carry it on the weekends but my wife always has hers in case of car trouble plus I use it a lot for the BMT I’m on my cellphone now.......and yes grey hair is right a lotta times you wind up picking it up just to check weather or road conditions......Android or IPhone most people cant go without them these days...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think cell phones are great but I also find it sad how many young people can't function without them. They can't talk to another person face to face, they can't pay attention to anyone else in the room because of the phone. Once you learn how to use it you will enjoy it Dave. I love reading bmt in little 10 minute tidbits throughout the day when I have a little free time to kill. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

13 hours ago, tjc transport said:

my home phone has been outgoing calls only the past 4 years. cell phone is only turned on when i need to make a call. i have no use for phones 99% of the time

The only time I have my cell phone turned on is if I am expecting a call or when I want to make a call.  I have voice mail so if someone tries to contact me and the phone is not on, leave a message.  As for "scam" calls, I get more scam calls on my cell phone than I do on the land line (land line has NOMOROBO).  I have over 100 numbers in my cell phone blocked list and get at least one scam call a day.  If I don't recognize a number I do not answer and it gets blocked if no message.  I had my smart phone over a year and I can count on one hand the number of pics (1) and texts (3) that I did.  Wifey is the same way, only turns the phone on if making a call.  She wanted a smartphone so she could text.  I told her she would have to learn how to text on her own.  To this day I don't think she has sent one text message.

My saying is: phones are for talking, cameras are for taking pictures, and computers are for internet/email.

8 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

I think cell phones are great but I also find it sad how many young people can't function without them. They can't talk to another person face to face, they can't pay attention to anyone else in the room because of the phone.

Wifey and I were at a nice restaurant on Saturday night.  A group of high school students came in.  Must have been a dance as they were all dressed in their best (as best as it gets these days),  The guys were talking among themselves and the girls were all on their smartphones.  Many adults are the same way, I see women in the grocery store talking on their phone while shopping.  One thing (and there are many more) that bugs me, there was a lady the other day checking out and was talking on her phone.  If I was the clerk I would have nicely asked the lady to put the phone down or step aside until she was done.  As she walked out the door she was still babbling on the phone.  What did we do without cell phones?

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

15 minutes ago, farmer52 said:

What did we do without cell phones?

I don’t know either; people use them in wrong places all the time for sure; I remember working when I was a kid we would work till dinner (lunch) eat quick and if needed to make call to order parts we would drive to the phone booth 4 miles away where it wouldn’t be long distance. 

At least in my area I noticed A few years back every body was talking on their phones at a supermarket it was very annoying now years later I never see anyone talking on their phones In the market I guess the novelty wore off Thank god yes they are very handy and fun to play with ...... but yes there is a time and place for them...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You mean you don’t have the douche bag “trucker” in your truck stops that have to walk around with a head set on jabbering like an a$$h@le and hold everything up because of his very self importance?  If you don’t I envy you. 

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

23 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

You mean you don’t have the douche bag “trucker” in your truck stops that have to walk around with a head set on jabbering like an a$$h@le and hold everything up because of his very self importance?  If you don’t I envy you. 

Or standing at the receiving office window yelling something other than ENGLISH into the phone!   .....Hippy 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Things have changed so much 

I never had a mobile or cell phone as you blokes call them till Christmas time

So flipping frustrating at first,  but it has got easier

And as for kids having them, when they can earn enough to buy and pay the bill on one then they can have one 

And the mums of the world say " what happens if his car breaks down, wha t.f happens if he is late or is in trouble or ....."

I always thought learning how to deal with these things was called growing up and becoming independent

I guess Im just getting old

Paul

Good call France 

I get it! Good call!!

For those of you that find cell phone to be an annoyance, maybe you would enjoy it just a little bit if you change your ring tone from whatever it is now to a favorite song.  While killing time in the hospital last year I figured out how to download some music and then added the songs to my saved files and can them make any of them to be my ring tone.  (An accomplishment for a tech-challenged geezer like me.)  So, my phone doesn't "ring" anymore.  Instead when I have an incoming call it plays Faded Love by Bob Wills, or The Duke of Earl, or Waltz Across Texas. When you answer the call the music stops of course.  You are just substituting music for the typical "ring."  Easy enough to change from one song to another when you get tired of hearing it.  If you need help with this, ask your children...

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

the only reason i have a cell phone is because the company pays for it. and it is only on during work hours. once i clock out, it gets turned off. and the only ones that have the number are the boss and other people at work. at the other job we had two way radios in the trucks, here they use cell phones.  i got along just fine for the first 55 years of my life without a phone glued to my ear, and would still be living under a rock if the boss did not give me this one. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I have Hogans Heroes as my ring tone.   It gets a chuckle out of anyone that hears it.  I can't stand those std annoying ring tones that come with phones.  Ugh.  I change up my text alert from Law/Order "dum dum"  to R2D2, to Scooby Doo laugh.  Just to make me smile when it does have to annoy me.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I dont use any phone to just shoot the Breeze

When I phone someone I can never get m

then mostly only a recordin message to say "your call is important to us ..... so leave a message and we'll get back to U"

If I leave a message dunno if they get the message or not

Phones: a gr8 source of interuption

cya

Swishy

• Like 2

Have a friend, he's not computer savvy at all, only has flip phone, but I'm the first one he calls when he needs something looked up or put on a credit card(since he won't have one).

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

9 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Have a friend, he's not computer savvy at all, only has flip phone, but I'm the first one he calls when he needs something looked up or put on a credit card(since he won't have one).

Good thing he has you as a friend.  Hopefully he drops some beer off at the house once in a while.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

you know,,,i can appreciate everyones opinion on these cell phones,,,you don't want one,,,you don't want one......i really like mine,,,,never ceases to amaze me what this thing can do....incredible.....like most people  with them,,,,,,i  use mine mostly for everything (but) phone calls...lol.bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1