Nice B, but holy smokes, the price!

On 11/14/2016 at 11:09 AM, Maddog13407 said:

Nice truck, probably worth it. Like Larry says, cost that much just to get one that nice. Never seen a single axle with that B81 series front axle either. Wonder if someone put that under there.

Could a B-61 (or 613X) use that same front axle Matt?   Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

23 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

the zip tie to the emergency brake linkage holding a hose up??

Not to put another man's truck down, but I noticed some details that for a BIG $$  truck should have had a little more attention......such as the zip-tie holding the cable up as well as some items under the hood.  But that is just my opinion. Guess it comes from restoring vehicles for most of my life. Both professionally and personally.

Not to put another man's truck down, but I noticed some details that for a BIG $$  truck should have had a little more attention......such as the zip-tie holding the cable up as well as some items under the hood.  But that is just my opinion. Guess it comes from restoring vehicles for most of my life. Both professionally and personally.

And I thought I was the only anal person here. It just kills me to see a "restored" rig done incorrectly. I'm not talking AACA make sure the correct hose clamps are used, but just getting the right details such as using clamps to hold wires and hoses and period correct accessories. The real shame is many owners have the vehicle done professionally and it still has items such as the ones apparent here.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

And speaking of restoration, just wondering everyone's opinion.

Do you like to see a restoration job that is full of details such as newly plated bolts, screws, etc? Or the exact way it was done at the factory?  (down and dirty hurry up and get it out)

I noticed on my tanker truck after getting it down to the bare frame,  EVERYTHING was assembled and then painted, all the wiring and plumbing for the airlines, heck , even the brakes had red paint on them.  It's messy by today's restoration standards but it is %100 correct as done originally. 

Any thoughts or opinions? 

• Mack painted everything in sight, red oxide primer, assembled axles, hangers, springs, wiring and plumbing then paint. the original B Models I think even the steering column was in the frame when it was painted. Mack also brush painted the clutch pedal where it came thru the floor black instead of frame color. I have seen more than a few 'Monday and friday' trucks where this was forgot to be done. guess like others said all depends what your striving for. I like the monochromatic look but also like the contrast of wiring and plumbing being set apart. Mack also painting all the little god awful phillips fine thread bolts they use to use to hold all the wiring clips up to in the frame. when I did mine I used stainless bolts, washers and ran the wiring after paint. just seemed more clean. also gotta remember they didn't expect most of these trucks to be around 50 or 100 years later. they were thinkin more along henry fords 'production' idea.
  • Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

It looks nice, but seems like a lot of things are unfinished for something that's "Fully restored".  Either my '59 is/was wrong, or the radiator core-to-firewall X-brace is upside down (and rusty and not painted).

Are the grill louvers movable? If so, anybody have pictures of the mechanism?

As far as "correct paint" and bolts and... I say build it like you want it - just don't hack it up. I'm converting my '59 to all electric. Probably about 5 different paint colors; cast iron parts will look like cast iron; black phosphate; gray springs; steel bushings & U-bolts... etc.

I'm also going for the big yellow 10,000 lb Tonka Truck paint scheme. For the interior; I haven't decided how far to deviate from the original paint scheme, "Any color you want as long as it's all green". 

On 11/17/2016 at 4:32 PM, Willie dog said:

And speaking of restoration, just wondering everyone's opinion.

Do you like to see a restoration job that is full of details such as newly plated bolts, screws, etc? Or the exact way it was done at the factory?  (down and dirty hurry up and get it out)

I noticed on my tanker truck after getting it down to the bare frame,  EVERYTHING was assembled and then painted, all the wiring and plumbing for the airlines, heck , even the brakes had red paint on them.  It's messy by today's restoration standards but it is %100 correct as done originally. 

Any thoughts or opinions? 

Our Riviera has all the factory patterns for the interior but is covered Leather and Velour ,body is stock but it a color I liked. One of my AC's I've added a generator looking alternator, stealth style disk brakes and a few other subtle mods, I do them the way I like them.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE