Easy does it FWD!

By the way,

How many cans do you think you will need for YOUR screamin' demon in the Hahn? I have a couple extra cans on the shelf.

Cans of what? Alpine puke effing green? I know not why you speak of this?

post-1729-0-03183500-1455849976_thumb.jp

By the way, it should be noted that I am not upset at the Good Sir for painting his engine alpine puke effing green if it was indeed a Mack OEM color......I am upset at Mack for allowing such a travesty.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Love the pics of your trucks. They are beautiful. I was told at one point that Mack fire and rescue trucks all were delivered from the factory with red interior...all the rest got the green treatment. Not sure if motors were painted different colors as well. I am steadily putting the truck back together. Would like to start and run the engine this coming week. I have purchased all new air valves and lines and will be mounting that stuff next along with the new air tanks. Then I will get the fuel tanks and battery box mounted back up and wiring strung. I will then concentrate on the interior/dash. I purchased new demountable 22.5" rims but have not sprung for tubeless tires as yet. That will be a huge bill and the timing must be right. So I don't think I will make Macungie this year but hopefully next year. Anyway, thanks for all your comments and support. I assume from F.W.D's comments that his engines are not painted Alpine Green!!!!!

• Like 1

You're doing a great job on the truck. I am two sided. I love a stock rebuild. I also love some "customizing". Tasteful customizing. A little color treatment is fine and looks great. My junk will never be as clean and nice as what some guys do. I'm just glad to be able to finally put a motor in mine and have it painted all pretty gold.

Keep us posted and we like pictures!

Oh, and never mind FWD.................he's just crabby if he doesn't get to drive a Detroit at least once a week!!!

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Loud, Obnoxious, Oil-Dripping, Smoke-Blowing, Lawn-Boy wanna be, 2-Cycle Mechanical asshole............

The Waukesha in the 1958 F.W.D. is painted Wauky's unique orange-red color, hence the nickname "The Thunder Pumpkin."

The POS Model 2-Stroke in the 1978 Hahn (pictured above) came from the factory painted red and is only there because I am allowing it to be there until I have enough funds to replace it with a Maxidyne. Myself and my father have a LOT of sentimental value of both trucks. Do I own a DD? Yes. Do I like it? Not only no, but HELL no. But you couldn't beat the price to acquire the truck... :whistling:

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

It's a pleasure to see the way the truck is going to be done.

I mean grey B-model.

On my personal taste I'd keep the interior green as it's a special feature of a B-model.

But gray paint looks nice.

I would add a truck that done with lots of love would always look better than a correct colored poor easy fix.

And I almost agree on the said above by others.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Loud, Obnoxious, Oil-Dripping, Smoke-Blowing, Lawn-Boy wanna be, 2-Cycle Mechanical asshole............

The Waukesha in the 1958 F.W.D. is painted Wauky's unique orange-red color, hence the nickname "The Thunder Pumpkin."

The POS Model 2-Stroke in the 1978 Hahn (pictured above) came from the factory painted red and is only there because I am allowing it to be there until I have enough funds to replace it with a Maxidyne. Myself and my father have a LOT of sentimental value of both trucks. Do I own a DD? Yes. Do I like it? Not only no, but HELL no. But you couldn't beat the price to acquire the truck... :whistling:

Mr. Yardoomean, keep calm and load up the canister!

I mean put red paint into a can and spray that STOCK screaming deamon (some day) the way it was done from the factory.

Otherwise you gonna be risky doing about the same as painting Mack motor in DD green :)

And I hope to see it done in person (some day) :banana::banana:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I think it looks awesome. Your doing a good job with it. Bet you can't wait to go for a rip. I was just wondering what kind of paint hardener, and where you got it from. I went to my local truck parts store with a paint supply and asked the guy behind the counter for a hardener for rustolium and he looked at me like I was nuts!!! He started getting into different paint bases and I got all confused. I just want to keep it simple. Thanks for the pics you gave me something to look forward to do.

When you get serious about that 237 Randy, I have one that will fit right in... We can even paint it red if you want.

Gregg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rusty dog, the B-model you pieced together was absolutely a work of art. I can't believe there is a California custom car shop that could have done better with that truck. make me want to throw rocks at my truck.

Bbpools, the paint harder I am using with the Rustolium is "Valspar Enamel Hardener". Comes in 8 oz cans which will service a gallon of paint. However, I have to do the math to mix smaller portions because I am not spraying a gallon at a time and if you end up with leftover paint that has been mixed with hardener....you basically have 2 choices. You can find something to use the paint on inside the 8 hour window since you first mixed it....or you can heave it because it will harden into a brick. I follow the instructions and stir/mix the paint and hardener for a solid 30 minutes to be sure it is completely activated prior to spraying or painting with a brush. As I recall, I searched for the hardener on the internet and ordered about six or eight cans. Hope this helps.

Thomastractorsvc, My truck started out it's life as a tractor/5th wheel, hauling grain trailers in Pennsylvania. It morphed several times and finally ended up as a dump truck in North Carolina. I purchased and am changing it back to its original tractor configuration.

I think it looks awesome. Your doing a good job with it. Bet you can't wait to go for a rip. I was just wondering what kind of paint hardener, and where you got it from. I went to my local truck parts store with a paint supply and asked the guy behind the counter for a hardener for rustolium and he looked at me like I was nuts!!! He started getting into different paint bases and I got all confused. I just want to keep it simple. Thanks for the pics you gave me something to look forward to do.

I had my first experience with rustoleum last week. I thought I would try it on a trailer. I primed with their primer then applied the color. The color wouldn't stick. I couldn't even brush paint on it. I did a internet search and found a bunch of people saying dont use it as automotive finish. I was also told the black will fade in a couple years? I hope you figured out the trick.

Razorback11, thanks for the reply. I'm gonna pick up a couple of cans of that valspar hardener to try it out. I watched a YouTube video of a guy restoring a low bed trailer and he was using some paint hardener. He mentioned in the video that it helps the paint cure faster and it bonds a lot better to what your painting. I've always had good luck with the rustolium just sometimes it takes forever for it to dry cause I spray outside and it's not always as warm as it should be. Keep up the good work and post more pics of your progress.

Dirtymilkman I always use a steam pressure washer with a low pressure soap feeder and I run a degreaser called H.D. Mel that I get from a friends pressure washer sales shop. There called H.O.P in Sandown N.H. I have had that problem with getting the color to stick when I apply it on bare metal surfaces. I don't use there primer. Instead I use the flat or matte black for my first couple of coats then I apply the color paint I want. It usually works. I know what you mean by getting the color to stick. It's like your painting with milk. Hahaha

i use pressure washer to clean rust flake off, then ospho to treat metal, then give it one or two coats of rustoleum red oxide primer cut 40% with acetone.

then paint with rustoleum industrial paint cut the same 40% acetone for frames. i have not used the hardener in the paint yet, i plan on doing that on the 88 F-SuperDuty when i finish the restoration this summer.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I have not run into the issue Dirtymilkman is experiencing. I have some items around I painted a few years ago and the look great. I clean bare metal with thinner and then wipe down with 91% alcohol and I normally use automotive primer in rattle cans. What I really like about Rustoleum is that when I scratch it, which I tend to do when mounting truck parts, it is very easy to touch up and looks great again. I have been to the shows where the distributers are selling the "High Priced" frame paint...and I am talking really high priced! I'm sure their paint is awesome.....I just can't afford it. I will stick with what I am doing for now.

Tjc transport, thanks for the info. I'm gonna try out the ospho too. I just googled it and read some reviews. I used a turbo nozzle on my pressure washer to help remove the heavy scale. It spirals the 0 degree tip and rips the scale right off.

same tip i use.

i apply the ospho with a weed sprayer set on mist. give it a good coat and wait 24 hours. it will turn a dull black color if properly treated. i usually give 2 good coats just to be sure everything gets treated.

once treated and dry for at least 24 hours i prime.

the test patch i did on an old piece of 5/8 diamond plate that was out in the weather for close to 20 years stayed that dull black for 4 years after treatment before starting to show any sign of rust again

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..