Help Identifying this B-73 - Worth the Price?

I ran across this 1959 B-73S (according to the title) and I'm new to the Mack's. As near as I can tell it's been sitting for exactly 20 years with a bad engine. The engine in the truck appears to have no tag but is turbocharged. Two areas of rust/cancer that I can see in the photos. Low across the back of the cab and just below the drivers side A-pillar.

The kid who has it is selling it since his Grandfather has passed and he doesn't know anything about diesels. Starting price is $2500 with a "running take out" NTC-350 included if I want it. I have serious doubts about the "running" part of that statement.

Can anyone verify the model for me? Not sure what the S in the model # stand for. Unfortunately the cab tag is gone according to the seller. Wish it was closer so that I could go and look for myself.

Is it worth saving? Is it worth the price? I'm pretty sure $1500 to $2000 would buy it. Less if I don't want the other engine.

post-22009-0-08257600-1452133049_thumb.j

post-22009-0-22624100-1452133059_thumb.j

post-22009-0-32890000-1452133067_thumb.j

post-22009-0-65454100-1452133077_thumb.j

post-22009-0-61081700-1452133091_thumb.j

post-22009-0-88260800-1452133102_thumb.j

post-22009-0-31745100-1452133116_thumb.j

Edited by Gypsyman
  • Like 2

Worth every penny. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Would seem a good deal. To back up, looks like a 73 or 75, and with the cummins motor a 73, the Mack motor a 75. The interior actually looks pretty nice, (seat covers very easy to get done), probably would clean up well. Like he said, the S is for six "wheel", a tandem ten wheeler. Looks to be a good deal, but better have plenty left over for the project. Nice find and good luck!

let us know where it is if you decide not to buy it. id say its worth twice that price but it might backfire and it will show up somewhere for twice the price

I'm not a truck flipper if that's what you're getting at. One look around my field will tell you that. It will cost me twice that much by the time I have it transported home. According to the wife my motto is "Buy high and sell low". =)

How long has the motor been apart?

Unfortunately probably too long to save but I've pulled some pretty ugly ones back from the grave.

If you have the ability to fix it right pull the trigger if not pass it on to someone that can.

If it's worth saving I can fix it. I deal with the smaller Cummins engines for a living. If I pass on it I'll post the contact info up here ASAP so someone else can get her.

Is the cancer across the lower back of the cab and the small spot below the A pillar a known trouble spot for these cabs?

Yes and if the motor is apart and non running I would try and get it for less. You have rust to contend with, window open so probably floor is rotted, door is rotted, and so on. Can you save it sure, do you want to buy it for 5k and put at least 10k in the motor and body work? Or would you rather pay $1500 and then 10K? Depending on where it is you said it could cost you at least 2k for transport so that adds on

Up to you if you think it is worth it.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

For $2500.00 I want him to throw in the 'cozy coupe' parked in front of it, probably fix that up and get it on the road for the grandchildren for a lot less out of pocket. If he goes for that I'd say even at the asking price it's a good deal.

I paid a $1 a mile up to $1.75 depending on where the drop deck truck is at the time. 1-2 week pick-up to delivery. That is Call for pick-up to delivery. Getting it up on the trailer would be extra unless you have a piece of equipment to help.

Well, I've thought about this long and hard. After looking around the field at all of the projects that I haven't started yet I've decided that one more is not what I need. I'll post up the contact info in case someone else wants to pick this up before it goes to the scrappers.

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/5352213767.html

The guys name is Josh and his contact info is in the Craigslist ad.