Split rim question

mack31

split rims are buds, as in old school two piece dangerous rims that are hot riveted usually and split around the whole middle. 8.25, 9.00 and 10.00 and 10.22's all had two or three piece rims where as there is a rim and then an outside lock ring that goes over and sometimes a safety lock ring on that. I believe the 3rd ring was trademarked as a Goodyear or Firestone 'safety ring'. I did hear years ago when they were common that only the 3 piece rims were legal on steer axles. dunno how true this is.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Suffolk County, Nassau County and NYC DOT will all issue an out of service for non 3 piece rims, I would assume that is country wide.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The Firestone type RH-5 pictured above are the real dangerous ones. I've heard they are illegal to run on the road but I have no proof to back it up.

If it's just a standard split ring rim, the are safe enough to change yourself if you follow some precautions. Run several raps of heavy chain around the tire and rim and use a clamp on chuck and air up from a safe distance.

• 2 weeks later...