B61 Purchase and Restore

It seems the truck is in a good shape indeed.

Good interior either.

The color makes it unusual, you might get it brighter applying some polish on.

Any history on the H-model in the first picture?

Good luck on the project!

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Welcome to the forum!

Good looking B and sensible plans for it. Keep us posted on progress. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Not much progress today. I took out all the old battery cables, installed the new batteries, and cut new jumper cables. attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Any work to bring it back is progress! Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You would do better with a MT39 a newer starter version. Send that alternator bracket back to the dealer and get your money the generator brackets will work just stop by the hardware store and get a 1/2" pipe about 4 inches long to use as a spacer you will need the pulley off the generator anyways because the belt widths are different they are called B width i think 9/16th or 5/8th wide cant remember off the top of my head

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

The old generator bracket should work. I used one with some 1/2 " all thread and mounted a 22SI 12 volt 125 amp. alternator. Some use the 21SI alternator but the 22SI was cheaper. I used a 42mt starter. The 39mt may have better as I had some clearance issues with the vent pipe. The shop where I got the starter said the 39mt was a gear reduction starter which would have more torque but the 42mt should spin faster with enough battery. Nice find on the truck.

post-9172-0-25410000-1445783797_thumb.jp

• Like 1

agree. I used a 42mt starter on mine and it has the starter mounted on the top driver side. I had to change the clock position about 4 times to get it to miss the steerimg box and throttle linkage. 39MT is a better choice. I did use a 21si alternator on mine to but made a new mount. the old will work with spacers tho like the guys said

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

looks good,,,best of luck with it,,,if it hasnt run in that long i would pull out the injectors and dump abuncha transmission fluid in the cylinders and let it soak into the rings....then let the engine spin a while before starting,,,and bulid up the oil pressure...bob

You should be able to replace the belts with the fan on. Just have to loop it over one blade and then follow it around til comes around again. Sometimes you have to wiggle the radiator forward to get the belt past the crank bolt(I do anyway). It is a tight fit.

You can take the fan off, the bolts JUST make it as they are very short in length. I went through this last winter when I put a/c on my truck and had this stuff apart trying to figure it all out.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"