PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE FELLAS!

Praying for a former co-worker tonight, who is a Trailer Mechanic that I worked with at JEVIC Transportation, who went on to New Century Transportation. He was working on a trailer today when a suspension air bag catastrophically ruptured and severely injured his face and jaw. He may have brain damage; the severity of his injuries are not known yet as he is in a medically-induced coma at this time.

He was repairing a reefer that came in with a dead battery. After he replaced the battery and got it running again, he was inspecting the rest of the trailer before releasing it back to Dispatch. It was then that he noted one of the air bags was cocked, and he told the shop foreman that he needed to repair/replace that before it got released from the shop. That was the last thing anyone knew- next thing was BANG and they found him face down under the trailer in a puddle of blood, unconscious. They pulled the trailer out from over him, and the shop foreman (who happens to be a former Paramedic) safely rolled him over and began treatment. He got it in the face bad- may have a busted nose and jaw, teeth are missing and he also has a hole in his forehead and you can supposedly see inside his head. At one point he woke up and was very incoherent and combative- which I remember from my EMT days as an indicator of traumatic brain injury. He got a chopper ride down to Cooper Hospital in Camden NJ. Your prayers for a damn good trailer mechanic and all around super nice guy are appreciated.

-Randy Y

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

That's too bad,Randy.Sorry to hear about it.I've heard of tires doing that same thing.We will keep him in our prayers,for sure.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

That should be a reminder to everybody, these trucks we play with can kill you in a second if you get complacent or are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no shortage of opportunities on a truck and trailer for injury, I have had appendages cut, burned, crushed and generally abused working on these things and never started out saying "hey I think ill go hurt myself tonight". I hope it all turns out ok, Ive seen a rusted brake chamber come apart when another mechanic decided to change it and put in a caging bolt, the spring cut his shirt and knocked off his glasses and left a hell of a bruise on his shoulder as it went by his head then continued to bounce off the DOT bumper and get lodged in the side of a reefer behind it, it is very easy to get hurt with the weights and pressures involved.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Thoughts and prayers for him.

As all of us know who work in our business; "Live every day like it is your last; it might be."

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I'm sorry to hear that... I had a friend that had a lowboy tire blow on him while he was airing it up, and he ended up spending most of his senior year of high school in the hospital. I hope Mike pulls through ok. We'll send a prayer up for him.

Jake

You know I never made that connection in my mind that those can blow out. I know tires are dangerous as the volume and pressure are significant. I think that every time I get near an 1100R24. The bags look little and mild. Thank you for the education on the matter. I will remember that every time I get under a truck or trailer from here on out. I'm praying for Mike as well. With God, all things are possible!

Greg

Our prayers and thoughts go out to your friends family,we can only hope for the best,i think sometimes we underestimate just how dangerous it can be to be a truck/heavy equipment mechanic...........I sincerely hope all turns out well............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.