Old Ralph G. Smith Photos

That's a pretty early AB,was it still owned by your family,Ron?? I see it must have had a rear axle translant sometime,as the rear wheels are budds. I never get tired of pics of that F715T of Yarnall's either.

Mike

It was gone a long long time ago.

As far as I know it was never modified, it's got budds on the front also.

It was a bus chassis, maybe that had something to do with it?

Ron

Ron, thank you very much, I haven't knew about your relation to that company.

Nice pictures of early production units, not to many of on display in the net.

That recabbed B is really interesting, I noted its speciallity as far as I saw it.

And I also want you to get permission to copy some of the posted images to my computer.

Because I might forget the source of them and post on another place. Because I'd like to take them on display to some of my good friends.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Ron, thank you very much, I haven't knew about your relation to that company.

Nice pictures of early production units, not to many of on display in the net.

That recabbed B is really interesting, I noted its speciallity as far as I saw it.

And I also want you to get permission to copy some of the posted images to my computer.

Because I might forget the source of them and post on another place. Because I'd like to take them on display to some of my good friends.

Help yourself Vlad, I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Ron

• Like 1

Ernie

First one of our 400 series Brockways that we pulled the "road oiler" out of and put an ENDT675 in was unit #201.

On one of the first trips out with it after the conversion the driver dolled it up with some of those little gold sticky letters that you use to use on mail boxes.

Across the front of it right above the grille it said "HUSKYDYNE"

Ron

On an added note about this when my brother Tommie and I first saw this we thought all hell would break lose when our father saw it.

He didn't usually go for stuff like that.

Much to our surprise he actually got quite a kick out of it!

Ron

On an added note about this when my brother Tommie and I first saw this we thought all hell would break lose when our father saw it.

He didn't usually go for stuff like that.

Much to our surprise he actually got quite a kick out of it!

Ron

I love the name! Thats a great story! My dad put a Mack drive train in a Brock 260 also ! If I remember the Brock had a 2 speed rear an my dad locked it in High, an ran a 673 NA with a dup. (push- pull) trans. through it! Man that was a long long tine ago 1965-66?

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

This AB was bought as an antique. It sat in their office for years. I tried to buy it, but they didn't like my offer. It went to auction and they ended up getting a few hundred less out of it than my offer after the commission. That was not Ronnie's fault though. The guy who bought it put new tires on the front, fixed the radiator and got it running then drove it to Macungie. It is about a 20 miles. He had a $35,000 price tag on it. Firm. It did not sell. He was the auctioneer at the auction where I bought my AC and he had that in the sale. It didn't bring as much as he wanted so he did not sell it. After I bought the AC a friend, Keith Ernst, who did not bid against me, bought it. He has a great collection of Pennsylvania built trucks, Internationals and Model A Fords. He has some really neat and rare stuff and this was a great addition. I might try to buy it some day, but doubt he will sell it. Mike

Mike

It was gone a long long time ago.

As far as I know it was never modified, it's got budds on the front also.

It was a bus chassis, maybe that had something to do with it?

Ron

Those were standard on Bus chassis. The Budd's are the same set up on one of my AC's. but were an aftermarket conversion, same as the Good Year Pneumatic wheel conversion kits from the late teens and twenties.

I have an original Budd Pneumatic catalog in my AC stuff from about 1919. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was talking about this other AB that kmeitz posted.

Sorry Mike

Got confused as to which truck you were talking about.

As mike Yarnall stated that truck was bought as an antique in the late sixties.

It is an earlier AB built in 1919.

Has a worm drive differential rather than the dual reduction which came out I think the following year.

First AB's were built with either chain drive or worm drive rear axle, later ones were built with either chain drive or dual reduction rear axle.

As for the difference in the wheels I have no idea, maybe they were more common on the worm drive axle?

Ron

From what I've found through research and on the AC's I've got, it seems to be a standard up grade on both AB's and AC models. One for a better ride and higher speeds, two for easier maintenance as the solid rubber was an expensive to have replaced and third to match the tires on all the trucks if you had a few units. Rear... any guess is possible, higher speed, what was around at the time or an up grade? The double Reduction was prototyped and tested on an AC and one other unknown Mack ( the Ac is equipped with wooden spoke wheels and pneumatic balloon tires ) in early 1918 and went into production early in 1919 on some trucks and a few buses according to John Montville's book. Mr Schumacker told me that MACK also used up stocks of parts and apparently would use the up graded parts in the early years, so it could have been a late production model.

On the Crane carrier I bought after Christmas, it has Good Year wheels on the rear axle and Budds on the front, but the tire sizes match and was converted to a 4 speed trans axle. They are from the time of use what you have to run them I suppose. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The E model van, or one just like it, sat for a number of years in Bealton, VA on the side of Rte. 17. It disappeared a few years ago, I assume to the scrapper.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

In the latest Wheels Of Time (Jan/Feb) on page 60 in the classified section, the H-67 appears to be a former Ralph G Smith Inc tractor, for sale in SC. I can't make out the full number, but it ends in 3.

That would have to be #223

chassis #H673T1353

What kind of shape is it in and what do they want for it?

Ron